Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #8070 on: July 26, 2018, 03:08:54 PM »
Bitch I KNOW I'm fabulous.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8071 on: July 26, 2018, 05:03:12 PM »
Oh, by axe user I meant unmounted. He's thee only unmounted one.

He still has Largo for that option.

But really, as long as he has horses/fliers, he'll be good in Mounted Emblem 2: Electric Bugaloo.

The problem with Laguz (beyond their transformation mechanic being so half baked) is that they take up a full third of the playable roster, which cuts into the number of alternatives to certain classes.

Also, sucks to lose Oscar. He happens to have one of the best affinity types in the game (Support Affinities refer to those elements that show up in a character's data sheet, stuff like Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, Heart Heaven, etc...; in Oscar's case, he had Earth which grants the character and their support partner(s) a +5% increase to their Avoid rating per level (i.e. C is *1, B is *2 and A is *3) so an A rank support would grant both characters a flat +15% chance to avoid enemy attacks; and if two Earth affinity characters support each other, they both gain the effect of each other's affinity bonus, granting both a 30% avoid bonus just by standing next to each other (or within 3 squares as that's the limitation of the effect)), on top of being on a horse (though this does mean fewer candidates competing for the Knight's Ward; which, oh by the way, on top of its defensive bonuses, grants an invisible +30% chance for the equipping character's Speed stat to grow per level).

Marica comes in underleveled for when she finally joins the party, but not nearly to the extent that Mist and Rolf do (and people complained about Hayato in Birthright, lol; although these two have nothing on the hilariously awful joining state of 60% of Revelation's cast).

All in all, you can probably manage, but you're going to want to tighten up your tactics as most of the late-game units stink in comparison to those you get early on. PoR is a little nicer in that regard than other FE games, but it could still get difficult if you're not careful.

Whachutalkinbout? Ike can damn near solo the game by the start of the game's back half (unless he gets horribly screwed by the RNG gods). Just give him an A rank support with Soren and an Occult Scroll (and the Boots and the Knight's Ring if you manage to obtain them) and watch the carnage unfold.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #8072 on: July 26, 2018, 08:33:27 PM »
It always amuses me to see how the FE series went from this obscure series that wasn't even worth talking about during E3 presentations to a tentpole competing with the likes of Kirby and Metroid. Not bad for a series that would've never left Japan (beyond a failed OVA and a couple of NP articles) had it not hitched a ride with Smash Bros.
I think the success of Advance Wars helped too. One reason I got excited for the series was learning in Nintendo Power or some magazine that the games were made by the same devs. A shame there hasn't been an AW title in a decade.

Marica comes in underleveled for when she finally joins the party, but not nearly to the extent that Mist and Rolf do (and people complained about Hayato in Birthright, lol; although these two have nothing on the hilariously awful joining state of 60% of Revelation's cast).
Who thought a level 12 dark mage for chapter 17 was satisfactory?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 08:46:38 PM by Greganox »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #8073 on: July 27, 2018, 12:40:34 AM »
Nah. I don't think Advance Wars had anything to do with it. If it had, then it wouldn't have taken Awakening to become the turning point.

Not that Nintendo Wars ever really had that strong of an impact to begin with, considering how many of the titles were developed by Hudson Soft, plus the Battalion Wars spinoffs that further diluted the brand, and Code Name STEAM kinda really drove the point home that not everything that Intsys does is gold.

Who thought a level 12 dark mage for chapter 17 was satisfactory?

Or a level 9 Dark Mage for Chapter 15 (alongside a level 10 prepromote no less). Or poor Hana who's the same level in both Birthright and Revelations but joins two stages later and with -2 Str and Skl for no discernible reason. Or even Super Silas and the amazing band of Conquest leftovers the stage before Nyx's and Shura's chapter.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8074 on: July 27, 2018, 09:30:47 AM »
Nah. I don't think Advance Wars had anything to do with it.
I agree.  Mostly because Advance Wars is terrible.

Cold Steel 2
I'll just stick it all in spoilers, because it's easier that way.  Please read it if you've played it!
Spoiler: show
So I finished the Besaid Aurochs Fort dungeon and was happy as a clam to watch McBurn (stupid name) abandon Duvalie.  Made me laugh, and Duvalie's reaction made me laugh even more.  Incidentally, I meant to mention this before when I did the Intermission portion, but Alisa is no longer Best Grill.  Sorry Alisa.  Duvalie is Best Grill.  I absolutely and utterly adore her.  Duvalie waifu in CS3 and 4, plx??
However, for the time being, Duvalie is still a lackey for an evil organization and so she must be punished.  And that punishment came in the form of Gaius doing his Tauros + Domination + 200CP S-Craft thing, which one-shotted her archaisms (from full health, mind you) and took her down to about 40%.  The rest was Arc Slash spam.  Finished the battle with her with "Unscathed".  Hilarious.  I am LOVING this.  And no, I have no desire whatsoever to increase the difficulty to Hard. Normal is just fine.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #8075 on: July 30, 2018, 02:08:00 AM »

I think the success of Advance Wars helped too. One reason I got excited for the series was learning in Nintendo Power or some magazine that the games were made by the same devs. A shame there hasn't been an AW title in a decade.

Tiny Metal is an Advance Wars shameless clone and got good reviews.

I've clocked about 80 hours into XBC2 and am still on chapter 6. By the time I'm done I have close to the amount of time I spent with XBCX.

Also about 5 hours into Banner Saga 3 and I already know that its going to by my GOTY. Gameplay, story, character design, graphics, music, it just does everything so damn good. I think I even like the trilogy better than Valkyria Chronicles, which is only the best SPRG I ever played.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #8076 on: July 31, 2018, 12:49:03 PM »
DA: I [PS4] - Got Skyhold going. Recently recruited Dorian and Cole. I've mainly just been running around various areas, completing whatever quests I come across, and gathering whatever resources I can. I've mostly been running with Sera; Dorian; and Blackwall. Sometimes I'll swap Sera for Iron Bull, when I feel like having a stronger front end. I just got Bianca's level 3 upgrade, so I think I may put Varric back in the party for a bit. I'd like to hear some dialogue between him and Dorian.

Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga [Wii] - My son's interest in this game made me revive it (never finished it back in the day). We just finished Episode 2, now starting Episode 3.
After being used to the ultra-convenient screen splitting of recent Lego games, we've had to get used to sharing the screen on this one. There have been a few arguments over it already. ;P
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #8077 on: July 31, 2018, 06:47:05 PM »
Banner saga 3 just gives no @#$$s.

My MC of the trilogy just got killed off, in the middle of the game

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8078 on: August 01, 2018, 09:29:50 PM »
gave up on Fire Emblem on account of not really liking Fire Emblem (I kept falling asleep within 15 minutes of firing it up) so now I think I'll finally for real this time play Skies of Arcadia.

@Frostillicus will be thrilled

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #8079 on: August 02, 2018, 05:53:59 AM »
gave up on Fire Emblem on account of not really liking Fire Emblem (I kept falling asleep within 15 minutes of firing it up) so now I think I'll finally for real this time play Skies of Arcadia.

To be fair, all of the quality of life improvements designed to allow players to skip through the boring stuff (like combat animations, enemy turn movements, speeding up combat animations, a global enemy range indicator, etc) started showing up after PoR (well okay, you can turn off combat animations in PoR, you just need to beat the game first in order to unlock the option to do so; yes, this is incredibly stupid, but that's PoR's idiom in a nutshell, and a great example of why the series nearly fucking died).

Meanwhile, I be dicking around with a bunch of games from Octopath, to FE:Echoes, to OG Legend of Zelda, to Startropics, to Super C and even Double Dragon II.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8080 on: August 02, 2018, 09:24:23 AM »
Cold Steel 2
I liberated Trista and Thors.  None of the 8 leaders of the Order of the Lion even got a turn.  I spent an awful lot of time and in-game resources making sure each member of Class VII was equipped and customized appropriately.  I assumed there would be multiple battles and even some Old Schoolhouse shenanigans that required two groups.  Instead, Gaius annihilated Patrick and his buddies in one move, and Laura obliterated Vincent and his buddies in one move.  I'll give props to Lambert, he survived Laura's onslaught, so Jusis and Fie had to mop him up.  But he still never got a turn.  Neither Towa nor Angelica did anything in either battle.  It's really weird to walk around the school and see everyone saying how well and honorably the Order fought.  I'm like "But they just stood there and got literally blown away..."

Now I have 3 special ladies who want to get all up on Rean.  One is Alisa, obviously, and that'll be the official one.  But I'll still save scum to check out Towa's and Alfin's.  I'm glad I got Towa's because I think her chemistry with Rean in CS1 was really good, but I have to admit, despite her being around for a lot of CS2, their chemistry seems to have completely disappeared.  Alfin hasn't had an ounce of chemistry with Rean for even a second.  But for some reason, I kept doing her Bonding events anyways.  I guess I assumed she would be playable sooner (she still isn't, yet) and wanted Rean to have a good Link level with her.  I'm pretty bummed I wasn't able to get Sara's, but it's all good, this first playthrough is supposed to be natural and blind.  For some reason I really like Sara as a partner for Rean... and I also really hate her as a partner for Rean.  He's barely 18, so it's skeevy, but as a character Sara is pretty awesome.  She's also strong and not a literal child (unlike some of Rean's other potential pairings) so I find myself wanting to see a little more of her sensitive and romantic side.  That'll have to wait, though, I suppose.

Also got the Zemurian Ore from Heinrich.  Got all 13 books without a guide!  My 100 hour game clock should explain that sufficiently.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #8081 on: August 02, 2018, 11:54:02 AM »

I look forward to your journal updates, sir. BTW, the game has a rather slow start, but picks up after you start sailing your own ship around. Oh, and don't skimp on ship upgrades. You'll need them.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8082 on: August 02, 2018, 05:55:34 PM »
I'm a ways into Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II, and now have the resources to keep my demons summoned.

I've also made a bit of progress in Toukiden Kiwami, which has been enjoyable thus far though I can't seem to find a certain material I need for a side-mission.
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

Every man is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts.
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #8083 on: August 03, 2018, 10:24:21 AM »
Finished Trails in the Sky FC, loved it.

I've started on Horizon Zero Dawn.  The gameplay feels like a cross between Witcher-3 and Batman (mostly a good thing, but the tracking segments feel a bit forced).
I haven't figured Aloy out yet.  She seems a little too well-adjusted.  I'm hoping for more character development later on.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8084 on: August 03, 2018, 12:05:27 PM »
Finished Trails in the Sky FC, loved it.

Please don't flood this thread with details.  It's not like this is meant to be some kind of "journal" for you talk in-depth about "games".  :P

Cold Steel 2
Finally saw the final bonding event:
I watched Alfin's, which was really rather cute, if understandably underwhelming.  Then I watched Towa's, which wasn't as cute as I was hoping.  It really seems like all the chemistry they had from CS1 is just gone.  Not sure why.
Then I reloaded and watched Alisa's, of course.  Now that was awesome.  Brought a tear to my eye and everything.  Was great to get a little catharsis for their cuteness through 200+ hours of game.

Beyond that, they keep teasing me with extra playable characters.  Alfin is playable and has Link Levels, but is constantly "I can't go with you", and then Towa has a whole status effect unique to her and she's been around for exactly one battle.  Not to mention characters I have already played as, like Sharon, Toval, and Elise.  So I know that, despite feeling like I'm at the climax, and the game warning me that I'm at the climax, there's probably lots and lots and lots of game left.

Really excited to just dive right into the end here and not do anything else until it's done.  But alas, that's a hopeless dream.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 01:54:58 PM by Arvis »