Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Hathen

• View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #8100 on: August 14, 2018, 09:27:16 AM »
On an SRPG binge of sorts. After finishing FE: Radiant Dawn, I played through the original Shining Force. A bit of a nostalgia trip since this was probably my favorite Genesis game as a kid, but I think it has aged pretty horribly. The amount of missing and the randomness of double attacks can make it pretty annoying to play (the former especially on flying enemies). The game also seems happy to provide  maps in thick forest/mountains which slow most of your units to 2 spaces of movement each turn. Though the game isn't too hard regardless, I do also find it kinda weird they stick you with a bunch of scrubs at the beginning the way they do- Tao's the worst mage, Lowe's the worst cleric, Ken's mediocre. At least Luke and Gort do well and Mae and Kris join early though. Max and Zylo are as broken as ever of course.

Skipped on re-experiencing Shining Force 2 (might go back though) and decided to instead move onto Langrisser. Playing Langrisser II at the moment. I'm on the updated Saturn/PSX Era versions but even without that I'd probably say these games have aged a lot better than its contemporaries. Just a shame that that recent revival of Langrisser was so terrible (and for some reason was the one chosen to have a localization, instead of maybe localizing the PSN release of the actual good ones).

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8101 on: August 14, 2018, 06:20:20 PM »
There is some good news and bad news in regards to Langrisser recently.

The good news is that someone else is taking a stab at it, and it looks a hell of a lot better than Resurrection Resurrection ever did.

The bad news of course is that its Mobage.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/07/31/langrisser-mobile-developers-talk-about-why-they-chose-the-series/

But what really annoys me is that Atlus won't let the Langrisser/Growlanser/Devil Survivor team do anything else along those lines (of course, I don't even know if they're still around at this point).

Edit: And on the subject of SRPG binges, https://gematsu.com/2018/08/strategy-rpg-vestaria-saga-for-pc-coming-west-in-2019

The race is on to see whether this or Tree House comes out first.

Having posted this though,

...this might not be the best news. :V
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 05:22:08 AM by Aeolus »
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8102 on: August 15, 2018, 03:57:45 PM »
Cold Steel 2
"Oh, you need a donation for the flea market?  Sure, I've got just the thing: my ass."
Spoiler: show
Anyway, for some reason this game is still going.  And I'm not at all upset about that.  Like, not even a little.  I defeated the Big Red Mecha in a freaking amazing final boss sequence that had everything.  All members of Class VII participate?  Check.  Real danger of losing?  Check.  Intense mecha battle to finish?  Check and check.  Loved it.  Despite the challenge, only Laura came close to death, but she had just barely enough HP to survive the boss' "Thousand Arms" move or whatever it was called.  Not being able to use Gaius Win Button for the first form had me worried, but the B-Team actually acquitted themselves incredibly well.  Rean couldn't quite Delay him as often as I hoped, but Machias shielding everyone and Fie and Laura beating on him eventually made him succumb.  After that, Gaius took out 3/4 of the second form's HP in one move and he went down like a chump.  The battle with Rean and Crow fighting together against him was pretty intense.  I was like "Where is all my free healing???"  Still, the fight is balanced pretty well and a lot of fun.  That lack of healing definitely gives it an edge appropriate to a gameplay climax.

Anyways, now I'm in the Reverie Corridor.  Wow.  This game is the gift that keeps on giving.  FINALLY being able to take every character into a dungeon and go exploring makes me very happy.  I'm already through 2 cryptids, with a main party of Alisa, Towa, Elise, Alfin, Sharon, Sara and Rean, with Gaius and Jusis coming in for the cryptid battles.  Really enjoying blasting enemies with Towa and Alfin.  Towa has mastered Aries MQ, which seems pretty OP in a typically awesome Cold Steel fashion, so she's just spamming Arts left and right.  And Alfin is using level 4 Mistral.  Between the two of them, they have every color covered and it's been pretty fun.
Elise is using a SPD build and is basically just Rean Lite with spamming Delay.  She's not half as good, though, since she doesn't do as much damage nor can she regain her CP nearly as fast as he does.  She is absurdly fast, though, with her SPD coming in around 150, while Rean's is about 120.
Alisa is there to use Heavenly Gift and revive everyone if they actually die (which never happens).
Sharon and Sara are both Evasion tanks that debilitate enemies with status and stat drops.  Pretty darn effectively, I might add.  The last time a group of supermonsters from a chest got a turn, one attacked my group with a line attacked, missed both Sharon and Sara, hit Towa, then promptly got blasted by Towa right after, who was right back to full health thanks to Aries.  Ridiculous.

So many fun builds in this game.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #8103 on: August 15, 2018, 08:39:20 PM »
Edit: And on the subject of SRPG binges, https://gematsu.com/2018/08/strategy-rpg-vestaria-saga-for-pc-coming-west-in-2019

The race is on to see whether this or Tree House comes out first.

Having posted this though,

https://i.imgur.com/AjaCXVu.jpg

...this might not be the best news. :V
Glad this is coming to Steam. A friend of mine is a big Fire Emblem fan also and I'm sure he'd love to play this too on Steam.

I saw an image of that endgame on the FE group I'm in and damn it does look super elaborate. Can you employ warpskip or similar staff strategies in this game like in some FE titles?

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8104 on: August 17, 2018, 02:18:20 PM »
Cold Steel 2

Got to the final final boss of the final final dungeon.

Yeah, ultra-mega-uber-hyper-super EFF that noise.  I'll just watch the end on youtube.  You were a superlative joy up to this point, Cold Steel 2, but you've disrespected my time one step too many.  Still, I love you, even though you hate me.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8105 on: August 17, 2018, 10:59:08 PM »
I'll just watch the end on youtube.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8106 on: August 20, 2018, 04:49:58 PM »
Cold Steel 2
OK, so I was really irritated on Friday because of some issues in my neighborhood and that made me forget that there actually are accessories that protect from Vanish.  Whoops.  So I just changed some accessories, tried the final final boss again, and obliterated it.  Whew.

Worth it, too, because.... man... that ending.  I definitely shed a tear.  Well done, Falcom.  Well done.  I spent 200+ hours with this cast of characters.  I'll miss them very much.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 (Demo)
Everyone just needs to play this demo now.  If you enjoyed VC1 at all, take an 60-90 minutes to try this demo out and see all it has to offer.  This game, man.  This game.

Final Fantasy VII: A New Threat
I've played this for 17 whole minutes and I LOVE it!  Just giddy to be playing FFVII again after so many years!
The first change I really noticed, besides the increased difficulty, is that each playable character has an "Innate" ability that helps to differentiate them from each other.  This is an extremely welcome addition.  Cloud's gives him a big boost to STR and MAG when anyone uses a Limit Break.  Barret's stacks boosts to his stats when he gets hit with an attack.  These boosts are dependent on what row he is in: boosts to STR when in the front, boosts to DEF when in the back.  This increased specialization means party-building and character customization is going to be even more fun!

Telltale's Guardians of the Galaxy
Started this on a whim because Wife has been monopolizing Steam with marathon sessions of Stardew Valley and I don't want to start a really long RPG when Dragon Quest XI comes out in 15 days.
This... this is pretty cool!  I'm surprised just how much story is in only one episode.  Lots of fun.  I ended up making all the most popular story decisions.  That surprised me.  Favorite Drax joke so far:
PQ: "Man, slowest elevator in the universe."
Drax: "You cannot possibly know that!"
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 05:20:34 PM by Arvis »

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #8107 on: August 21, 2018, 09:40:34 PM »
DA: I - 65+ hours in, level 17-ish. Feels like this game goes on forever, if you keep exploring. That's pretty cool in itself, but I'm honestly starting to feel a bit worn out on it. Haven't decided whether I want to beeline for the end, or take a break and come back to it...

Tales of Berseria - Just got through the opening sequence. I've assumed command of sexy "Life is Pain" Velvet, and am bustin' out the slammer. The game lives up to the hype of being pretty dark for a Tales game, but Velvet's edgy persona feels a bit ...hammy, for lack of a better word. Still, I'm digging the story. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.
 I think I like the battle system. It's already better than Xillia, but I seem to fuckin up the timing of Combos often, or I don't quite understand how the blue diamond energy system works yet... In time I'm sure.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Der Jermeister

• Fursona!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8108 on: August 23, 2018, 06:59:45 PM »
Still in Chapter 2 of Toukiden Kiwami where I have to solo a boss, which has been a bit difficult, although I'll try again with a maxed-out Mitama.

In Hell in Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II, at the castle surrounded by fire, and have been moving slowly but surely.

The Aladdin subquest in Kingom Hearts Union X seems over, and I've just been occasionally doing raids.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8109 on: August 24, 2018, 10:49:22 AM »
Skies of Arcadia - 20 hours in.  This is still a great game. But having to fight (or at this point just run from) a random battle every 5 seconds has made exploring begin to get a little tedious.  There is no way I'll have the patience to search out every last discovery.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8110 on: August 24, 2018, 11:21:58 AM »
So this mod cleans up the text a bit and removes some typos/mistakes.  Basically, things are clearer, but largely unchanged.  So I finally got to "This guy are sick" and was like "Oh, I wonder if they left that one in on purpose since it's so famous?"  Sure enough, I get to that part of the slums, Aerith pops out, dialogue box pops up...

"These guy is sick."

Well played, modders.

As for my progress, the Sector 7 plate just dropped.  Thought I might be able to save Jessie (since she actually joined me for one battle at one point!) but alas it seems like those three all died yet again.  Barrett's horror at the thought he lost Marlene brought a tear to my eye, as did his relief when they were reunited.  Man this game is good.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8111 on: August 27, 2018, 09:36:34 PM »
So after several years of both planing and gathering the Seven Dragonballs necessary components (namely a blank memory card, a console that can both run the game and still works (a surprisingly large ask for this day and age), and of course the game itself), I've finally started a run through SaGa Frontier 1. Started with Asellus' story because I hate myself (and because it's apparently one of the few feature complete stories in the game; damn you FF8!).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Draak

• View Profile
« Reply #8112 on: August 28, 2018, 11:45:48 AM »
I picked another PS4 up, it's a new Slim version. Decided to give Bloodborne another chance and I'm faring much better this time. There was something really wrong with that borrowed PS4 Pro, you guys were right. Anyway, it's such an atmospheric game, despite the lacking 2nd half. Gonna check out the Old Hunters DLC this time.

Got Persona 5 too but I'm so slow by the time I get to play it, the improved version will probably be out.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8113 on: August 28, 2018, 04:56:00 PM »

So I fought Rufus Shinra.  Happened to have Steal materia on Cloud so I thought "Let me see what kind of goodies Rufus has."  I stole "Shotgun" from him, which is a weapon for Vincent that hits all enemies.  After I won the fight, Cloud ran downstairs to meet up with Tifa, and then this happened:

Tifa: "Rufus, is he...?"
Cloud: "Nah, but I did steal his shotgun."
Tifa: "...why?"
Cloud: "...because I could?"
Tifa: "Whatever, let's just go!"

I can't overstate how much I am loving this mod and this game as a whole.  It is absolutely superlative.  I don't know if I could ever go back to the standard version of VII, especially with how much more compelling the gameplay is in New Threat.  That's not to say the original isn't plenty compelling, of course.

Currently, I am in Nibelheim painfully close to getting Vincent in my party.  Finishing up the Cosmo Canyon sequence literally brought me to tears.  When drops fall from the eyes of Seto's petrified corpse and Red starts howling, with that gorgeous rendition of the Cosmo Canyon theme playing gently... wow.  This game, man.  This game.  It really does deserve its popularity.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8114 on: August 28, 2018, 05:07:01 PM »
The Red XIII/Seto stuff at Cosmo Canyon gets me every dang time!

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD