Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #8115 on: August 29, 2018, 09:58:43 AM »
The Red XIII/Seto stuff at Cosmo Canyon gets me every dang time!

Here's the thing, I never used to get emotional there!  Or anywhere, really!  But now, many tears fell.  When I mentioned this over on Final Fantasy Radio someone asked me how long it had been since I last played VII.  That's when I realized that it's probably been roughly 15 years since I sat down and played it through.

UPDATE: meandered through Nibelheim, got Vincent (woot!), when Sephiroth randomly throws a materia at Cloud it turns out to be "Sneak Attack" materia lol, made it through the mountain, beat an optional boss, and am just outside Rocket Town now.  So excited to get Cid!  Since I hate foul language, rudeness, and smoking, it makes perfect sense that Cid is my favorite character.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 10:27:51 AM by Arvis »
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8116 on: August 29, 2018, 11:43:41 AM »
Skies of Arcadia - 23 hours in.  Just unstranded myself from Crescent Island.  FINALLY met a new PC other than Drachma.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Der Jermeister

• Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8117 on: September 02, 2018, 09:39:39 PM »
I beat Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II (Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei) late last month and liked it despite being slightly grindy. Here's what I'm working on now:

Kingdom Hearts Union X - Still awaiting the next story missions. I hope it wraps up before Kingdom Hearts III comes out.

Romancing SaGa (PlayStation 2) - My first foray into the Romancing trilogy. I chose Claudia as my starting character, and have taken a ship to a field with several caves, which I'm exploring at the moment. Seems to do the open world aspect better than the first frontier game, since not everything's available from the get-go, and it has very strong potential.

Toukiden: Kiwami - Doing quests in Chapter 3. I started having a better time when I discovered that you could use face button commands. Definitely easy to overlook.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8118 on: September 03, 2018, 01:00:06 PM »
Skies of Arcadia Legends - On Daccat's island.  Just fought Zivilyn Bane for the 3rd time.  And I'm honestly starting to feel bad for him.  He keeps showing up, guarding treasure chests in obscure, difficult to access, out of the way areas, so he's obviously a fantastic treasure hunter.  And then, JUST when he's about to make off with his well earned loot, Dufus Monocle Boy and his merry band of do gooders waltz on in, kick his ass and take his stuff. 

#justiceforZivilyn

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8119 on: September 03, 2018, 02:04:02 PM »
Currently still plugging away at SF1. Made it to the point where Asellus can finally move about freely and lol I've got two sheets of locations to thumb through. Found Rogue, Lute and two dungeons at least. Haven't had nearly as much time to play this as I'd like though.

Skies of Arcadia Legends - On Daccat's island.  Just fought Zivilyn Bane for the 3rd time.  And I'm honestly starting to feel bad for him.  He keeps showing up, guarding treasure chests in obscure, difficult to access, out of the way areas, so he's obviously a fantastic treasure hunter.  And then, JUST when he's about to make off with his well earned loot, Dufus Monocle Boy and his merry band of do gooders waltz on in, kick his ass and take his stuff. 

#justiceforZivilyn

He prefers Thief. :V
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8120 on: September 04, 2018, 04:15:13 PM »
Got my ass HANDED to me by Lapen.  That's the second time a fight on the Wanted List has been 3-5 levels higher than anyone in my party.  woof.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8121 on: September 04, 2018, 05:14:58 PM »
Still loving every single minute of Final Fantasy VII: A New Threat, but DQXI just arrived at my door so that will be put on indefinite hiatus.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #8122 on: September 04, 2018, 10:17:56 PM »
Playing Banner Saga for the first time and I'm having fun so far. Currently at chapter 2 where I got my first use of archers. At the moment warmaster is my favourite class.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8123 on: September 05, 2018, 10:07:34 AM »
Dragon Quest XI

Ok.  This game is awesome.  I wish I could share the half dozen screenshots I took of this gorgeous game, but alas, the PS4 doesn't want me to.  Suffice to say that, only about an hour or so in, I love everything - EVERYTHING - about this game.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #8124 on: September 05, 2018, 07:42:48 PM »
Playing Banner Saga for the first time and I'm having fun so far. Currently at chapter 2 where I got my first use of archers. At the moment warmaster is my favourite class.

Next to Valkyria Chronicles, BS 1-3 is my favorite SRPG.

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #8125 on: September 05, 2018, 10:32:34 PM »

I'm almost 2 hours in and I've already had some memorable fights and choices to make. Very good so far.

Edit: The Varl are a pretty interesting race as well.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 11:43:55 PM by Greganox »

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #8126 on: September 07, 2018, 09:14:20 AM »

I'm almost 2 hours in and I've already had some memorable fights and choices to make. Very good so far.

Game choices make the game very replayable if that is your thing. Also for a game that has a bunch of player choice the story is solid.

Edit: The Varl are a pretty interesting race as well.

Der Jermeister

• Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8127 on: September 07, 2018, 10:20:56 AM »
I sort of have interest in The Banner Saga, but I've been too disappointed by several critically-acclaimed games to commit to playing those particular titles. I do like some tactical RPGs such as the Disgaea and Valkyria Chronicles series, though.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #8128 on: September 09, 2018, 07:45:55 PM »
I sort of have interest in The Banner Saga, but I've been too disappointed by several critically-acclaimed games to commit to playing those particular titles. I do like some tactical RPGs such as the Disgaea and Valkyria Chronicles series, though.

I think the trilogy is only $40. Trust me its worth every penny. If you like SRPGs it has the IMO best SRPG grid combat system, no permadeath but players get wounded where they are out for a few days/battles.  Lots of varied classes. Art is incredible, Wintory did the soundtrack.  Not sure why (to my knowledge) why there has never been a SRPG/Oregon Trail-like mashup because it really works.

Der Jermeister

• Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8129 on: September 09, 2018, 10:25:51 PM »
Okay, then.

Still waiting for the next story missions in Kingdom Hearts Union X.

Finished exploring the dinosaur caves in Romancing SaGa, and have the dinosaur egg. It has a hefty price but I'm not sure I want to part with it yet in case it's necessary for some quest.

Still in Chapter 3 of Toukiden: Kiwami, progressing slowly but surely.