Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Rook

• View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #8190 on: November 22, 2018, 07:56:48 PM »
The gacha mechanic is frustrating if you if are a collect em all kind of person.

Especially if you're gunning for KOS-MOS. Have fun trying to nail 0.02% odds with no way to improve them.

At least the rest of the Gacha is nowhere near as heavily stacked against you, nor is it particularly necessary to suffer through it since the game gives you enough free Blades through sidequests and the plot to get by fairly well on.

I got KOS-MOS in chapter 5. Never knew she was powerful and didn't really start using her until about Chapter 8 (she's also very similar to Ayami who I got early and her quest is easy). They probably should have released the DLC w/ 15 legendary cores a few months earlier. If you start it now you should have about 10-15 blades by Chapter 5 now.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8191 on: November 22, 2018, 08:03:10 PM »
The gacha mechanic is frustrating if you if are a collect em all kind of person.

Especially if you're gunning for KOS-MOS. Have fun trying to nail 0.02% odds with no way to improve them.

At least the rest of the Gacha is nowhere near as heavily stacked against you, nor is it particularly necessary to suffer through it since the game gives you enough free Blades through sidequests and the plot to get by fairly well on.

I got KOS-MOS in chapter 5. Never knew she was powerful and didn't really start using her until about Chapter 8 (she's also very similar to Ayami who I got early and her quest is easy). They probably should have released the DLC w/ 15 legendary cores a few months earlier. If you start it now you should have about 10-15 blades by Chapter 5 now.

When the game first launched, KOS-MOS was the only non-Mythra Rare Blade to be of the Light Element. Your other Light Blade options were generics or Poppi with a Light Element Mod equipped (and the only way to obtain one of those was to win it from a rare drop from Level 5 of Tiger Tiger).

Although its more of a statement about just how absurdly stacked Rex was in options compared to everyone else.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #8192 on: November 23, 2018, 07:24:15 AM »

When the game first launched, KOS-MOS was the only non-Mythra Rare Blade to be of the Light Element. Your other Light Blade options were generics or Poppi with a Light Element Mod equipped (and the only way to obtain one of those was to win it from a rare drop from Level 5 of Tiger Tiger).

Although its more of a statement about just how absurdly stacked Rex was in options compared to everyone else.
There are no generic light blades, your options at launch were just Mythra, KOS-MOS, and Poppi QTpi (as I believe that is the only form that can equip the core). And personally I had worse luck getting a light core for Poppi than I did with rare blades (I spent 10+ hours on level 5 of Tiger Tiger and never got it). Not that you ever *need* a light blade beyond Mythra. Really people just wanted KOS-MOS because she was a returning character. The fact that she is one of the ten or so strongest blades is just a bonus.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 07:26:18 AM by Ranadiel »

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8193 on: November 23, 2018, 11:49:29 AM »
Not that you ever *need* a light blade beyond Mythra. Really people just wanted KOS-MOS because she was a returning character. The fact that she is one of the ten or so strongest blades is just a bonus.

A similar statement could be made about half of the game's systems.

Pouch Items were both one of the few ways to cut cooldown times (so that you were faster throwing out Arts), and almost completely forgettable (the 'almost' stemmed from Blade Growth Trees' having the stuff as a fairly common unlocking requirement; once you guessed the correct item; as well as eventual Affinity farming for when you just didn't have enough time/game left to farm the stuff). Aux Cores were a second layer of Accessories/Gems &| Mods from XBC/X, but hideously cumbersome and only even worth using at Rank V due to a lack of sorting, limited capacity shenanigans and required material farming. And likewise, Accessories had a host of effects that were mostly academic because, until one of the later updates, characters were limited to only two, which often meant choosing between the Accessories that jacked up your Attack Power, or your Luck. And who here ever noticed or recalls how all Blades have Role modifiers that provide percentage based multipliers to certain stats when having that Blade active? And then there was Poppi's Tiger Tiger rigmarole (which most couldn't even be assed to bother with and effectively had a worthless party member until the NG+ Shops became a thing) or certain individual Blade sidequests like Vess's Riceballs Hamburgers Dumplings, Pyra's Cooking or the hell that was that one Blade's Mercenary Dispatch sidequest (never pulled her, never had to deal with it).

And so on...

Because seriously, most of these fell away in usefulness anyways once Mythra unlocks her ability to instantly recharge Arts through Art Cancels and Rex can suddenly instantly charge up his Arts and Blade Combos and then flip the switch to his other stupidly overpowered Blade to detonate all the goddamn Orbs for massive Finishing Strikes (I love how, prior to the DLC, Rex was the only character to have a very specific multi-Blade combo between two of his plot Blades, unlocked after the above and is completely redundant beyond Rule of Cool).

But I mention all this not because I don't like XBC2, but because the Torna expansion fixes most of these issues and shows us what we could've gotten had BotW not cannibalized Monolithsoft's workforce during XBC2's development.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Gregosa

• View Profile
« Reply #8194 on: November 23, 2018, 11:52:28 PM »
Started Banner Saga 2 today after picking it up along with its sequel as part of a recent Steam sale. I'm having a blast so far. My most recent fight was against horseborn.

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8195 on: November 24, 2018, 07:35:20 PM »
I played The Banner Saga on Switch a few weeks back. Definitely had a good time except the lack of manual saving.
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

Every man is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts.
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Gregosa

• View Profile
« Reply #8196 on: November 24, 2018, 07:59:40 PM »
I played The Banner Saga on Switch a few weeks back. Definitely had a good time except the lack of manual saving.
I do wish saving was a bit more convenient in this series. I like being able to save automatically after winning a battle as is done in other games belonging to the Srpg genre.

I've also encountered an infamous bug that prevents the player from repositioning units prior to the start of a battle.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 06:17:29 PM by Greganox »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8197 on: November 26, 2018, 11:05:59 AM »
Finally started Octopath!  SO happy!!
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8198 on: November 26, 2018, 08:29:55 PM »
I'm playing Shenmue as part of the PS4 collection with its sequel, and it's somewhat hard to think it was one of the most expensive games ever made, since it feels horribly unrefined in many aspects, like its red-herring plagued plot and direction, and subpar English voicework with horrible timing and bad writing.
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8199 on: November 27, 2018, 09:24:49 AM »
Sometimes the classics age horribly.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8200 on: November 27, 2018, 01:26:26 PM »
Sometimes the classics age horribly.
Very true. I managed to beat the last boss by spamming kicks (he was short, so they worked), since trying to execute moves just got me constantly beaten down.
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8201 on: November 27, 2018, 02:03:48 PM »
Octopath Traveler

Started with Alfyn.  He's pretty cool!  His VA is the same as Raz from Valkyria 4, so that makes me happy.  And I always enjoy "Chemist" jobs, especially ones with "Mix" type skillsets.  I tend to hoard items, but I do try to make myself use Alf's "Concoct" from time to time.

Went on to get Pokemon Trainer H'aanit, who's pretty great.  I enjoy the monster capturing and summoning.  Could not be more in love with her village and surrounding area.  She died against her boss, though, so she gets bumped to the bottom of the list.  Still in my party for now, though.

Just finished up getting Primrose and completing her first chapter on my lunch break.  The heck.  That was pretty gross, but at least I'm sufficiently motivated.  Also, I love her ability to recruit NPCs!  NPC recruiting is another favorite of mine (thank you, Blitzball), but I do wish Prim's Allure wasn't so limited.  Being stuck with only one at a time can make some missions more unwieldy than is necessary.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #8202 on: November 27, 2018, 10:07:16 PM »
Yea the Banner Saga Trilogy is just amazing. Other than the fact there is sparse voice acting in it (pity because the VAs did a great job), it just nails SRPG gameplay, art style and story. As far as SPRGs go, next to VC1 its my all time favorite.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8203 on: November 28, 2018, 01:07:25 PM »
Octopath Traveler

Have now recruited Ophilia, the Cleric.  Definitely cried a little during her backstory.  Very sweet and touching.  I was very curious what her "Path Action" would be; she recruits NPCs, like Primrose.  Ok then.  I guess I was complaining about only being able to have one NPC, so... cool!  Ophilia's works a little differently than Prim's, though.  While the Dancer has a % chance to "Allure", Ophy "Guides" people with 100% success rate... as long as she is high enough level.  If not, then no chance.  So Prim's has an element of risk attached to it (you can lose reputation in town if you fail too often) while Ophy's does not.

I found an NPC in Ophilia's hometown, Flamesgrace, whose ability was something called "Wisdom of the Church".  Sounded awesome so I had to use him; turns out that move is a nice multi-stat buff.  Once you summon him and get the buff (on a random character, it seems) he sticks around and does a two-hit Fire elemental attack, which also helped against a few enemies.  This game is freaking awesome.

Time to go do up some sidequests and such and then it's off to Bolderfall!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8204 on: November 28, 2018, 06:18:07 PM »
torchlight II is still awesome and I still don't have enough free time to finish it

currently on Act III

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"