Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #8220 on: January 19, 2019, 08:08:27 PM »
Beat God Eater Resurrection since my last post. The camera was still bad, but I actually figured out shields guarding against specific elements could make fights against giant Aragami more bearable, and in the end I had a positive opinion and would be willing to play its sequel.

I also finished Let's Go, Eevee!, and playing Pikachu! definitely prepared me for it, and I pretty much coasted through the game.

Picked Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions back up, and am playing through the main quest.

Started Ni no Kuni II, and damn, it's a pretty game.
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

Every man is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts.
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8221 on: January 19, 2019, 10:22:49 PM »
more Xenoblade.  I think I'm actually going to stick with it this time.  Though I'm sure I'll get impossibly bored by it before the end. 

I haven't seen anything yet that suggests it's actually open world though.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #8222 on: January 21, 2019, 06:31:23 AM »
I had no idea Digimon Story - Cyber Sleuth would end up as a sort of spiritual sequel to the .hack series. Went in expecting a fun romp with my long time favorite 'mons and a silly anime plot, came out with a game full of heart, decent-to-great characters and god-tier music. A little gem, despite the rough edges here and there. Dat ending.
You should give Hacker's Memory a try. It is a side story that takes place in the same world as CS, and has the same feel. Plus it has a few gameplay improvements.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #8223 on: January 22, 2019, 08:52:19 AM »
Starting playing My Time At Portia

If you liked Stardew Valley, there's pretty much no way you could dislike that game.
From the little I've played, I think it might even be better.
I'll see when I hit midgame/lategame but the early game feels better.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8224 on: January 22, 2019, 11:42:51 AM »
It's been on my list for a while, @Annubis

Keep us updated
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #8225 on: January 23, 2019, 08:30:18 AM »
It's been on my list for a while, @Annubis

Keep us updated

First major events:

Portia
Every inhabitant of the town give a gift and the gifts are thrown around randomly for people to grab.
Short, but fun and profitable.

Stardew Valley
There's a dance but none of the girls want to dance with me and it makes me recall back in primary school when they did those dance events and they wanted the kids to dance and how no girl ever wanted to dance with me and how soul crushing that was and how it messed me up inside for the rest of my life.

Yeah... point to Portia.

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8226 on: January 24, 2019, 12:44:38 PM »
I beat Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions. The last box definitely taxed my items since the final boss's patterns for somewhat hard to pick up, but I pulled through. I actually didn't think the story was all that funny, and that the Minion Quest's plotline was more enjoyable, even with its "failed" humor.
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8227 on: January 26, 2019, 01:13:23 PM »
Final Fantasy IV - Up to the moon. There's another summon I needa get back on Earth but I think I need FuSoYa and a few levels on Rydia first.

INFRA - Just finished the first act. I was expecting this to be a really short, ~5 hour game with like two areas. Turns out nope. It's huge. Levels are really detailed and have a ton of attention towards verisimilitude. Also lots of... lets say things to collect if you're into that (and it's largely optional if you're not!)

Quern - Had some initial misgivings here -- the second puzzle is literally doing Sokoban to open a door, so I thought it was going to have really disjointed puzzles throughout -- but it really picks up as it goes on.

Myst 4 - Finished Spire -- and solved the keyboard puzzle without any help. That really stumped me the first time I tried playing this. I messed around in Serenia a bit before heading back to Haven.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8228 on: January 27, 2019, 01:04:54 AM »
Kingdom Hearts HD Final Remix - On the final stretch, and now I'm at an impasse. My inner child wants to beat all the extra hard bonus bosses like Sepiroth and that 4 armed guy who nullifies your magic, but adult me what's to finish it so I can move onto KH2HDFM. I think the adult's gonna win out, but let me see what else I can play in the meantime...

TERA (PS4) - The combat in this game is so fun! Too bad there's pop-in everywhere, the framerate stutters when there's too much on screen, the instanced nature of the game makes me feel like I'm playing a singleplayer open world game with really powerful npc helpers during dungeons, I'm constantly running out of inventory space, the text is too tiny and there's no way to change it, but it doesn't matter, because you'll never get to read the quest descriptions, anyways, since the very aggressive enemies will still attack you while you're trying to accept quests, forcing you out of the dialogue menu and into combat. I have never been so annoyed trying to play an MMO.

Anthem VIP Demo - This has been a disaster. I was going to cancel my pre-order after the demo period regardless, but I've barely been able to play at all, between server issues (They DDoSed themselves!?), infinite load bugs, disappearing enemies, time loops, quests breaking, and just absolutely boring gameplay that they clearly based on Mass Effect: Andromeda, yet I'd honesty say I had way more fun playing that game at launch. (No, not the ironic fun, I never encountered some of the funnier glitches others posted about online) The only positive thing I can say about it is I love how hefty the colossus feels, it really feels like a mech suit. Also, the flight controls run circles around the crap I put up with in Warframe with their archwings...when they aren't constantly overheating. There's not tutorial in the demo that teaches you how to manage your heat, and when you include the cramped caves most of the demo's missions made you go through at some point, I think I spent most of my time in the game on the ground, along with what few people I was able to partner up with via public matchmaking.

At this point I just feel bad for Bioware's employees, since EA just keeps giving them the short straw. I mean, they could pull it off and make something at least comparable in quality to Destiny, and basic gameplay standpoint, it's better than Destiny 1 when it launched back in 2014...but that was a low bar, and by all accounts, that franchise has come a long way. Bioware has come through before and patched up a worse game with less resources, but well, that same game also cost them their Montreal studio.

Well, clearly it's time to finish the fight and continue getting caught up with the KH saga. If all goes well, my bro will be over in a few weeks so we play through KH3 together. At least The Story So Far collection will keep me busy. I mean, I've waited over a decade for this game, a few more weeks won't hurt.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 01:31:27 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8229 on: January 27, 2019, 11:05:00 PM »
Still working on Ni no Kuni II, and have increased the difficulty a few times when facing enemies weaker than my characters. I have access to the seas now.

I also started Timespinner, and must give a shoutout to @divingfalcons for bringing attention to the game, which has definitely been an enjoyable Metroidvania.
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #8230 on: January 29, 2019, 09:35:21 AM »
My Time At Portia

Halloween event.
God damn that thing was hard. I fought my best against the whole town but came out with 4t position.
Was pretty damn fun to go around gun people (watergun of course).

You get some nice relationship boosts with the entire town at the end which is great.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #8231 on: January 29, 2019, 01:19:50 PM »
Megadimension Neptunia VII - You know that battle later in the game; against the main 4 CPUs? The battle in which your success is almost completely determined by the RNG, no matter how strong you are? Yeah..., that battle is horse shit.
It's a big-ass sucker punch of a fight. Might even be enough to make me quit the game, because losing 2-3 characters before you can even act is garbage. Meanwhile, the CPUs' HP are through the roof.
Nothing before this even came close, in terms of difficulty. I can't see beating this, even if I grinded another 5-10 levels... Bah.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #8232 on: January 31, 2019, 11:56:14 AM »
I also started Timespinner, and must give a shoutout to @divingfalcons for bringing attention to the game, which has definitely been an enjoyable Metroidvania.

Oh nice! Thank you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8233 on: February 01, 2019, 05:26:52 PM »
I don't have a whole lot of time to post because I'm already neck deep into Spring Semester, but I did want to leave some mark on what I'm currently playing.

My wife and I bought a Switch for ourselves for Christmas and then I received the Memoirs from Battle Premium Edition of Valkyria Chronicles 4. I'm not very far into it, but I'm really enjoying the gameplay. It has been way too long since the first Valkyria Chronicles and I'm hoping this game will help Sega see how they can keep the series on track after the PSP sequels (heard they're good, but talk about no audience) and the hot mass of Valkyria Revolution. I think I'm to chapter 5 in the main game, but I've been playing the DLC (it was good to see Squad 7 again after all these years), and the side missions for the army units, which I think is a really cool addition to this game.

We also bought Smash Bros. Ultimate. It's fun, and I've even won the occasional online match. I've unlocked all the characters and remembered in the nick of time yesterday to send in my registration to get the Piranha Plant. That said, I really don't find the World of Light all that compelling. It just seems like busy work without the rewards of all the cutscenes that were in Subspace Emissary in Brawl. I'll take it over the lack of anything single-player related in Smash Wii U, but still disappointed by it.

Finally, I've been playing Langrisser Mobile. I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit, namely because I unlocked the Time Rift the other day and am now able to play abridged/simplified versions of the original Langrisser games. It starts you off with Langrisser II for some reason (maybe it's a prequel to the original?), but I've found the story interesting enough already. It's easy to see where the main Mobile game finds its archetypes, but it's still enjoyable. I do wish that it was a full Langrisser experience, but I'll take what I can get.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8234 on: February 03, 2019, 08:37:09 PM »
Finally, I've been playing Langrisser Mobile. I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit, namely because I unlocked the Time Rift the other day and am now able to play abridged/simplified versions of the original Langrisser games. It starts you off with Langrisser II for some reason (maybe it's a prequel to the original?), but I've found the story interesting enough already. It's easy to see where the main Mobile game finds its archetypes, but it's still enjoyable. I do wish that it was a full Langrisser experience, but I'll take what I can get.

Langrisser 2 is the popular/infamous one, especially once it was upgraded to Der and gave players the ability to choose which faction to support (its PC-FX port also has the notoriety of being the one game to own on that console).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.