Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Der Jermeister

• Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #8235 on: February 04, 2019, 08:42:21 PM »
Beat Timespinner. Definitely one of 2018's strongest releases. Ditto Ni no Kuni II.

Dedicated to Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux now, and the site's review is pretty much spot-on.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 11:05:10 PM by Der Jermeister »
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

Every man is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts.
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #8236 on: Yesterday at 07:22:30 PM »
I've played 4 chapters of Valkyria Chronicles 4 and its good, very good. Gameplay is yes VC1 w/ a new character class and you already knew that. This is fine, in fact its better than fine because VC1 is on my shortlist for all time favorite combat systems and its been way too long of a wait to play it again.

The new class is Grendiders. They seem to either napalm the entire map clean of enemies in 1-2 turns or are totally useless depending on the mission. 

As far as the story goes, its decent, but the story and characters aren't anywhere as well done as VC1 (VC1 is a tough act to follow in that dept - in fact pretty much everything about VC1 is a tough act to follow, its IMO the best game of the PS3 gen). I was worried that it was going to be all angst and raeg looking at screenshots but so far its just tropey anime stuff, passibly done.

The graphics - WHY ARE PEOPLE NOT USING THIS ART STYLE IN OTHER GAMES, to my knowledge there is this, and uh Grimgar, which come on isn't even a game (or is it??????) 

Music - decent enough.

But yea, buy it, because I'd like to see VC3 remade someday.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #8237 on: Today at 10:19:40 AM »
Recently started DQ XI. Just got back into Heliodor With Erik.
I'm enjoying the game so far. It's very easy on the eyes. I can see why some people got out of control with screen shots. Yeah, the synth music is a bit of a letdown, especially after the symphonic opening. However, the prior kind of fits, with this game being such a huge nod to the earlier games in the series...
On that note, I can see why newcomers to the series have been let down by this game's... 'simplicity'. To us who have played the older titles (I've played almost all since the very first, which came free with my Nintendo Power subscription), it's a large part of this game's charm.
Also, as with DQ VIII, I love the European accents. However, the silent protagonist is honestly weird in this day and age. I'd even take Mario-style outbursts over absolutely nothing.
Looking forward to the journey ahead.

Infamous: Second Son
- About 45% done. A solid upgrade to the series in general. It's nice to have a protagonist who has some personality, even if he is a bit of a douche. Having multiple powers is pretty bad ass. Some of said powers remind me of Saint's Row IV quite a bit, which is a very good thing.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes