Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #8235 on: February 04, 2019, 08:42:21 PM »
Beat Timespinner. Definitely one of 2018's strongest releases. Ditto Ni no Kuni II.

Dedicated to Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux now, and the site's review is pretty much spot-on.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 11:05:10 PM by Der Jermeister »
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

Every man is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts.
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #8236 on: February 21, 2019, 07:22:30 PM »
I've played 4 chapters of Valkyria Chronicles 4 and its good, very good. Gameplay is yes VC1 w/ a new character class and you already knew that. This is fine, in fact its better than fine because VC1 is on my shortlist for all time favorite combat systems and its been way too long of a wait to play it again.

The new class is Grendiders. They seem to either napalm the entire map clean of enemies in 1-2 turns or are totally useless depending on the mission. 

As far as the story goes, its decent, but the story and characters aren't anywhere as well done as VC1 (VC1 is a tough act to follow in that dept - in fact pretty much everything about VC1 is a tough act to follow, its IMO the best game of the PS3 gen). I was worried that it was going to be all angst and raeg looking at screenshots but so far its just tropey anime stuff, passibly done.

The graphics - WHY ARE PEOPLE NOT USING THIS ART STYLE IN OTHER GAMES, to my knowledge there is this, and uh Grimgar, which come on isn't even a game (or is it??????) 

Music - decent enough.

But yea, buy it, because I'd like to see VC3 remade someday.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #8237 on: February 22, 2019, 10:19:40 AM »
Recently started DQ XI. Just got back into Heliodor With Erik.
I'm enjoying the game so far. It's very easy on the eyes. I can see why some people got out of control with screen shots. Yeah, the synth music is a bit of a letdown, especially after the symphonic opening. However, the prior kind of fits, with this game being such a huge nod to the earlier games in the series...
On that note, I can see why newcomers to the series have been let down by this game's... 'simplicity'. To us who have played the older titles (I've played almost all since the very first, which came free with my Nintendo Power subscription), it's a large part of this game's charm.
Also, as with DQ VIII, I love the European accents. However, the silent protagonist is honestly weird in this day and age. I'd even take Mario-style outbursts over absolutely nothing.
Looking forward to the journey ahead.

Infamous: Second Son
- About 45% done. A solid upgrade to the series in general. It's nice to have a protagonist who has some personality, even if he is a bit of a douche. Having multiple powers is pretty bad ass. Some of said powers remind me of Saint's Row IV quite a bit, which is a very good thing.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8238 on: February 22, 2019, 05:30:31 PM »
I can see why some people got out of control with screen shots.

Hey 
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #8239 on: February 23, 2019, 07:17:31 PM »
Started South Park the Stick of Truth for the first time today. As the new kid I picked fighter class. atm I just rescued Craig from detention.

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8240 on: February 24, 2019, 10:15:22 AM »
I was playing Princess Crown on the PSP, but sort of gave up since a) I encountered a point of no return where I couldn't go back and grind and b) I wasn't enjoying the gameplay anyway since even despite being an action RPG, fights still seemed slower than even slow turn-based titles. It feels very unrefined compared to Vanillaware's efforts.

I'm still working on Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux, and it still hasn't lost steam, and I'm at what I think is the final dungeon.

I'm playing the PS4 God of War as well, and I've been having a decent time, though I found it a bit easy to get stuck at times.

I've also been replaying Grandia Xtreme, and I think the term "guilty pleasure" best describes the game.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 10:18:41 AM by Der Jermeister »
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8241 on: February 24, 2019, 05:06:04 PM »
I was playing Princess Crown on the PSP, but sort of gave up since a) I encountered a point of no return where I couldn't go back and grind and b) I wasn't enjoying the gameplay anyway since even despite being an action RPG, fights still seemed slower than even slow turn-based titles. It feels very unrefined compared to Vanillaware's efforts.

To be fair, it was their first effort, and they didn't really change much in the PSP version, IIRC.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8242 on: February 25, 2019, 12:05:03 AM »
Xanadu Next is a perfectly competent Falcom ARPG.  Nothing special though so it's a bit disappointing considering the dev.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8243 on: February 27, 2019, 06:43:15 PM »
Erred when I said I was at SMT: Strange Journey Redux's final dungeon. Now I think I'm at the actual one, and got upgraded unlock ability and am thus revisiting old areas (which is part of the current mission objectives).

God of War (PS4) - Just got to Helheim.

Grandia Xtreme - The boss of the fire ruins has been giving me a hard time, so I'm grinding in the area before it. I'll experiment with Mana Egg combinations to get better ones after I stock up on them during dungeon exploring.
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8244 on: February 27, 2019, 07:06:53 PM »
Playing through Ys VIII right now, and just started Chapter 5.

Goddamn I am so disappointed that you can't play as Silvia.

Edit: And now I know why Dana has such a hard time understanding Io. She speaks a different language (goddammit NISA).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 02:24:39 PM by Aeolus »
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8245 on: March 06, 2019, 04:27:40 PM »
I beat Strange Journey Redux and God of War (PS4) this week. The former sort of lost its luster towards the end, but is still an improvement over the original, and the latter was good as well, although mini-maps during fights with enemies would have been nice.

Now I'm working on Feudal Alloy on the Switch, which has been enjoyable, and I'm at the first actual boss fight (there were fixed gauntlet runs of enemies until this point).
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8246 on: March 06, 2019, 06:46:54 PM »
What would you say was an improvement over the original Strange Journey?

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8247 on: March 06, 2019, 08:11:04 PM »
Well, they ditched the limit on how many Sub Apps you could equip at a time, and make the save system less restrictive. If you're going to illogically argue that the original for some reason is superior to the rerelease, then fuck you.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 08:29:56 PM by Der Jermeister »
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8248 on: March 06, 2019, 08:57:30 PM »
Well, they ditched the limit on how many Sub Apps you could equip at a time, and make the save system less restrictive. If you're going to illogically argue that the original for some reason is superior to the rerelease, then fuck you.

I think she was wondering if the changes are good enough to make it worthwhile to revisit than anything.

At any rate, Ys VIII's chapter 5 continues on despite having like 3 good stopping points already. I'm now trying to find my way over to the west side's story.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8249 on: March 06, 2019, 11:00:30 PM »
Yes, that was exactly what I was asking as I was wondering if I should play it.

Rein in the attitude. Telling the bloody mod of the forum "fuck you" is a good way to get banned.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD