• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #8250 on: March 08, 2019, 04:08:05 PM »
People don't know how to communicate.

Just a thought I had.

I bought FFXV Comrades today.  $5.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #8251 on: March 09, 2019, 02:03:39 PM »
People don't know how to communicate.
In the philosophical sense that no communication between two different beings can ever be 100% optimal, that would be correct as the act of communication itself is sub-standard.
That said, Der Jermeister has a history of getting weirdly confrontational over inane things.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8252 on: March 09, 2019, 06:27:21 PM »
I thought "fuck you" is just how he says "hello" =P

I realize that I keep forgetting to actually journal my gaming here. I guess spending months mostly playing one game makes one forget that my gaming time isn't just one giant homogenous pool of sludge.

Marvel's Spider-Man - About 80% done. Just need to clear out some camps, and address various random crimes throught the city before I finish up the main story. This has been a blast so far (excluding the Taskmaster challenges. Seriously, screw the Taskmaster! They're downright impossible!), but I should probably move on. There is such thing as having "too much of a nice thing".

Destiny 2: Forsaken Collection - grabbed this on sale, expecting to rush through the story and then dive into PVP like I recently did with Guild Wars 2. But I'm actually enjoying the PVE stuff here, it reminds me a lot of Diablo or PSO in the best ways. Currently level 31, but I got a lot of Adventures and side-quests I wanna clear before I finish the main story.

Probably a bunch of stuff I forgot by now...this is why I write things down...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8253 on: March 10, 2019, 05:05:15 AM »
The only game journal things to note here for now is that the localization of Ys VIII really falls apart in the back half of the game and that FF1 is one busted piece of jank. "Ah, my status! The Ribbons! They do nothing!"

I kinda want to talk about Ys VIII's plot because its kinda stupid and full of wasted potential, but my issues goes straight into the heart of spoiler territory.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8254 on: March 11, 2019, 11:49:40 AM »
I kinda want to talk about Ys VIII's plot because its kinda stupid

It's called the Transitive Video Game Writing Principle, wherein the relative Stupidity of a game's Plot is always greater than or equal to the Stupidity of the Lead Female's Design/Clothing.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #8255 on: March 11, 2019, 12:30:38 PM »
I kinda want to talk about Ys VIII's plot because its kinda stupid

It's called the Transitive Video Game Writing Principle, wherein the relative Stupidity of a game's Plot is always greater than or equal to the Stupidity of the Lead Female's Design/Clothing.

That's not the stupidity I'm talking about.

Edit: I wonder if I can simply carry on with the plot/sidequests for awhile and not have to worry about these PS4 exclusive Interception Battles expiring? Because I really don't want to have to fight off 9 goddamn waves of level 80+ jerks right this second.

Meanwhile, I just want to point out just how goddamn stupid it is to have a Move Speed boosting accessory in a game with platforming elements like Ys. I styled the hell out of the Valley of Kings (wait, I thought I was in the Not-Mediterranean, not Not-Egypt?) by straight up flying across most of its convoluted passageways and chasms.

And with that said, I've started playing Fire Emblem yesterday (praise the sun region unlocking). Gotta love that my first level of the run was on Caeda and was damn near perfect (as perfect as I suspect the mechanics actually allow, as she gained a point in everything short of HP, including both Str and Def, the two stats she sucks hardest in). And then Cain betrayed me with a point in HP and Wpn Lv which is far more typical of the game's experience. Anyways, I'm up to Chapter 3 now so its time to try to actually level a goddamn healer (and maybe see if I can figure out how to view equipment stats since its kinda hard to figure out exactly how much something's gonna hurt without half the goddamn formula to gaze at).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 09:53:13 AM by Aeolus »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8256 on: March 14, 2019, 11:06:47 AM »
So, back in late September, I put Dragon Quest XI on hiatus so I could jump right into Valkyria Chronicles 4 when it dropped.  Then I got a Switch and started Octopath Traveler, and then Smash Ultimate came out.  All those had to be played/beat before I could get back to Dragon Quest XI.

Guess which of those four games is probably going to get my 2018 GOTY?

DQXI is just so frickin' amazing.  Like, I had really forgotten how superlative it is.

As of right now, I went ahead and tried a dual-wielding build for Luminary.  And decided to give him dual Falcon Blades with a focus on increasing Crit rate.  This build has not disappointed in the least.  Especially considering the amount of high DEF enemies you run into in Act 2's first "dungeon" area.  With this build he strikes for times every attack, and at one point (while Pepped, of course) Luminary did 3 crits in one attack.  Fun times.

As far as I can tell, boosting Deftness as much as I can can increase the Crit rate for that character.  Can anyone confirm?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 11:18:19 AM by Arvis »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #8257 on: March 14, 2019, 06:31:20 PM »
Its a minor boost unfortunately (+1% Crit = 200 Deftness). Gear that boosts Crit Rates directly provides far more bang for your buck. For maximum Crit chances, a Jade, fully kitted out with Claws and her Warrior Princess equipment has the highest rate of: +6 (from Skills) +8 (from a +3 Crimson Claws or a +3 Frostfire Fingers) +2 (from her tier 1 +3 Warrior Princess Helm) +3 (from her tier 2 +3 Warrior Princess Clothes) +(2*2) (from stacking two +3 copies of Assassin Card Accessories) +4~5 (from hitting the Deftness Cap of 999) = 27~28% chance

Of course you don't need to fish for Crits in this game as Jade has Lightning Thrust and Erik has Critical Claim.

As for The Luminary, I found his 2-handed Swords to provide better offensive options over dual wielding. But then, I was also playing the Stronger Enemies Draconian Quest (among others) so I was often left tepid at the amount of damage I was getting off of off-hand attacks. Either way, both options fall off once you hit the post game and you get your MC's best shield and the 1-handed Swordmastery skills.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #8258 on: March 15, 2019, 06:14:48 AM »
As for The Luminary, I found his 2-handed Swords to provide better offensive options over dual wielding. But then, I was also playing the Stronger Enemies Draconian Quest (among others) so I was often left tepid at the amount of damage I was getting off of off-hand attacks. Either way, both options fall off once you hit the post game and you get your MC's best shield and the 1-handed Swordmastery skills.
What I recall is that 2-handed swords is best for damage for 3/4s of the game, and dual wielding overtakes 2-handed in the last 1/4. I can't remember exactly what it is that causes the switch over...it might be the Luminary's ultimate skill as I recall that skill outperforms with 2 weapons over a 2- handed. I never bothered with shields and don't recall anyone at the time thinking they were better than the other two options.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8259 on: March 15, 2019, 09:19:46 AM »
Well, atm, with dual Falcon Blades I'm doing at least as much damage per attack, if not more, than with my best Greatsword, and if I get even one crit in those 4 attacks, it comes out to quite a lot more damage.  But I did just Forge a new Greatsword, +3 and everything, so hopefully I can take it for a spin soon.

The other thing to consider is Gigaslash, which is much better with Swords (dual-wielded or sword-and-board) than with Greatswords.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #8260 on: March 15, 2019, 01:58:27 PM »
What I recall is that 2-handed swords is best for damage for 3/4s of the game, and dual wielding overtakes 2-handed in the last 1/4. I can't remember exactly what it is that causes the switch over...it might be the Luminary's ultimate skill as I recall that skill outperforms with 2 weapons over a 2- handed. I never bothered with shields and don't recall anyone at the time thinking they were better than the other two options.

As I said before, I was playing Stronger Enemies Draconian Quest, so having someone bulky enough to take a hit during Act 1 was why I didn't switch over to Greatswords until the Platinum Greatsword became available.

As for the 3rd Act switch, Quadraslash hits its damage cap around the point you're talking about, and then Uber/Falcon Blades show up and now you're suddenly quadding everything in sight. Also helps that he gets some ridiculous Einhanzer skills by then (....and that all of the MC's top tier weapons are 1H plus the best 2H is stashed behind the final Wheel of Harma trial making it a Sword of Infinity +1). Zweihanzers are still great with Sword Dance though.

The reason why I advocate the Sword and Board during the post game is that his final shield provides a passive 10 MP regen a turn which goes up to 20 MP when paired with his final armor. It makes all those MP intensive Spells and Abilities much more affordable.

Admittedly, the 'other' reason why I went Sword and Board for the MC during the endgame is that I had also taken the Shypox challenge and thus couldn't rely upon him for more than taking it on the chin (the "'other' other" reason why was because I was also running the no Shopping challenge so I couldn't buy a copy of the Sword of Kings and thus could not forge his best Sword).

This does bring up a good point about the way that DQ XI handles equipment though. You aren't just locked into a linear equipment upgrade track (or are forced to make use of some goofy subsystem that substitutes equipment) but aren't completely inundated with redundant choices with no actual upgrade track to speak of. Compare that with games like the FF games where your character is locked to their given weapon type and are lucky to even have a single Armor slot to provide one or two defensive options, or Diablo-alikes where your tiny ass pack is stuffed with Armors that either provide a 5% resist to Acid and Electricity, a 7% resist to Fire or a +1 Magic Missile Feat (while you're in the designated Ice Level and are an Amazon and thus incapable of using anything but Daggers and skimpy leather bikinis).

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #8261 on: March 17, 2019, 01:01:21 AM »
Still playing VC4. Up to chapter 9 now. I bought the Squad 7 DLC which gives you a decent mission and all the main VC1 characters. All are a bit overpowered so I don't use them, except for Welkin's tank because that transport is useless and scouts travel further on foot.

The Squad stories are a nice touch and thankfully easy to unlock.

The maps/game boards have been a decent upgrade over VC1. I haven't experienced a level as intense as VC1's Chapter 6 tho.

Not a big fan of the grading system, which takes out some of the strategy for speed.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #8262 on: March 17, 2019, 07:58:56 AM »
Still playing VC4. Up to chapter 9 now. I bought the Squad 7 DLC which gives you a decent mission and all the main VC1 characters. All are a bit overpowered so I don't use them, except for Welkin's tank because that transport is useless and scouts travel further on foot.

The maps/game boards have been a decent upgrade over VC1. I haven't experienced a level as intense as VC1's Chapter 6 tho.

Not a big fan of the grading system, which takes out some of the strategy for speed.
Funny thing, the transport is possibly one of the most broken things in the game and is the key to 1-turning a few maps (including the hardest skirmish map). The map might change the best way to use it, but I recall that I would generally put a Shocktroop, Lancer, and a Scout or Engineer in it (forgot if 3 is default or the first capacity upgrade). The secret to maximizing the Transport is to pick up all the units on its turn (depending on the map you can get usually get one or two units without even moving) and then move it towards your goal. Whenever you stop near something you want to kill, have a Shocktroop or Lancer get out based on what you want to kill, kill it, and then have them return to the transport on the same movement point. If the transport gets damaged, just pop out the engineer and heal it before popping right back in.

It is a lot more efficient for getting both Shocktroops and Lancers to places than any other method except for pairing up with a Scout (and I don't remember if you have that yet), but the transport is more defensive than pairing up. Also you can use the transport to pick up a scout to give them a running start allowing them to basically cross the entire field before their movement is completely ruined.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #8263 on: March 17, 2019, 08:47:24 PM »

Funny thing, the transport is possibly one of the most broken things in the game and is the key to 1-turning a few maps (including the hardest skirmish map). The map might change the best way to use it, but I recall that I would generally put a Shocktroop, Lancer, and a Scout or Engineer in it (forgot if 3 is default or the first capacity upgrade). The secret to maximizing the Transport is to pick up all the units on its turn (depending on the map you can get usually get one or two units without even moving) and then move it towards your goal. Whenever you stop near something you want to kill, have a Shocktroop or Lancer get out based on what you want to kill, kill it, and then have them return to the transport on the same movement point. If the transport gets damaged, just pop out the engineer and heal it before popping right back in.

It is a lot more efficient for getting both Shocktroops and Lancers to places than any other method except for pairing up with a Scout (and I don't remember if you have that yet), but the transport is more defensive than pairing up. Also you can use the transport to pick up a scout to give them a running start allowing them to basically cross the entire field before their movement is completely ruined.

Probably using it wrong then and maybe if I have to grind a bit I'll use it. The gameplay is so fun tho that I'm not really into 1-2 turning levels.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8264 on: March 18, 2019, 02:36:02 PM »
I'm still plugging away at Langrisser mobile. I've reached a point where the game either forces you to grind a lot or spend real-world money to progress. It's pretty annoying, but I'm still enjoying it quite a bit despite this problem. It isn't a big deal to do the daily missions everyday and power-up characters and troops, and I still really enjoy the character advancement as it's quite addictive. There are also some grinding options that will simply allow you to "sweep" a level you've already completed, and others that allow you to just turn on the auto-battle function and let it do its thing, so it's not too much of a commitment. That works for me too because I refuse to spend any real-world money on it.

Story-wise I'm to chapter 24 of the main game, and level 5-5 of the time rift, which is the second half of the empire path of Langrisser II. My team level is currently at 45. The grind became prevalent around level 40, so I've been playing more casually since then. It's a pretty nice time-killer on the train so it works well.