Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 02:21:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332745 Posts in 13633 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Devil May Cry
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Devil May Cry  (Read 1771 times)
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2006, 07:08:27 PM »

Another week, another new obsession!

Just picked up the Devil May Cry 5th Anniversary boxset...all three games for a total of $30...that's $10 per game!

Yeah, I decided to give the series another try. I never played the second or third, and I never finished the first.

I could never get past that Griffon in the colisseum until now; I hadn't remember to use the Devil Trigger, and that's why I could never defeat it. After all, it doesn't alight on the ground long enough for you to get many hits on it, so the hits you do make have to be strong. Trying to fight it in the air is simply too hard...can't land a single hit that way, it's just too fast. I did, however, defeat the Griffon this time around, and I'm on mission 11; well, I don't remember which number it is, but I've returned to the Colisseum after the Ghost Ship.

I checked out the second and third games, at least, the opening movies and the first two missions of each. Looks like they're more hack n' slash than exploration; not that I have a problem with that. I've always wanted a sequel to Chaos Legion.

The music is much more awexome than I remember it being; I'll definitely pick up the soundtracks...but why are they so expensive? ($45 each at VGM World). They rare or something?

Dante's rockstarity really shines in the third game. The one-liners he says and the stunts he pulls are so bad-ass, they're hilarious, e.g., trying to eat a piece of pizza while battling some grim reapers, and even flooring one, and using it as a skateboard. Woo-hoo! The back of DMC2 can flout Dante as "#1 badass, hands-down, coolest-demon-slayer-ever" all it wants, but Dante never really struck me as being that cool until the third game's opening movie.

...Dante's such an example to follow! XD
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 07:43:56 PM »

Devil May Cry is not a RPG.

Are you from AllRPG or something?

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 07:49:00 PM »

Go easy Ash.

Anyhow... moving this.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 12:27:16 AM »

Bah! Just...! Nevermind!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 12:40:29 AM »

It might be good to save the defensiveness for /more than a single negative post/. You're at just as much risk at dragging this thread into a spiral of flames when you seriously confront shit like that, especially when you act like there were more posts than the one. For the record, I tend to be pretty anal about what is/isn't an RPG and would've probably thrown my two cents in if I saw this prior, but whatever. It's been moved, and there's a lot of poor topic placements anyway (whatever happened to using Helper Monkey for topics asking for, well, help?)

ON TOPIC, I never touched 2, but 1 and 3 were a lot of fun. I was a pussy and only got DMC3 when the SE came out, though in my defense I would've played through hard mode with Golden Orb mode had it actually given me the option from the offset.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 01:07:58 AM »

So this includes all three games, eh?  When I was out shopping, I glanced at the cover and noted the whole fifth anniversary thing, so I assumed it was just a reprint of the original.  Shoulda paid more attention to the size of the box, I guess. :P

That's a pretty sweet deal, even though the first game is nigh unplayable after experiencing DMC3.  The controls are clunky as hell in comparison.

Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 03:43:10 PM »

Quote from: "The Darkrider"
That's a pretty sweet deal, even though the first game is nigh unplayable after experiencing DMC3.  The controls are clunky as hell in comparison.

True; just from the few seconds that I played of DMC3, Dante is able to turn on a dime, even when executing sword slashes! That, and the jumping is better, too. Jumping in the original DMC was rigid in general, even without comparing it to the later games, but in comparison to most games in general.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 11:50:40 PM »

....what.

I didn't know there was a box set.

And yeah, Dante only got really.. well, bad-assed, cool, whatever int he third game.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: