Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 12:14:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327423 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Akiba's Trip 2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Akiba's Trip 2  (Read 1230 times)
solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

The real me exists on the internet!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2014, 12:46:24 PM »

Xseed is bringing over Akiba's Trip 2 as Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed. I looked up some game play and it looks like an action RPG/Beat em up.

Akiba’s Trip: Undead & Undressed tells the story of a young man named Nanashi who was lured into a trap and transformed into one of the walking undead. Lucky enough to be spared the worst of his fate by the kiss of a mysterious Synthister hunter named Shizuku, Nanashi is sworn to rid Akihabara of the Synthister threat. Together with the rest of his companions in an organization unofficially dubbed the “Akiba Freedom Fighters,” Nanashi and Shizuku must uncover the truth behind the Synthister plague and save Akiba from being overrun by their kind.

Siliconera has a little more info on the game on their site: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/05/akibas-trip-undead-undressed-coming-north-america-summer/

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 05:02:43 PM »

Maybe I'll just quote myself since it seems more relevant now:

Just finished Akiba's Trip 2.  Got Shizuka's ending.  I have mixed feelings about this game...it could be fun at times but it also felt kind of low budget in certain ways.  Dividing Akihabara into all these little zones instead of having a single open world just seems unnecessary on modern hardware.  I could understand it if this was on the PSP (as the first one was), but it's not.  It's for PS3 and Vita, both of which have far more memory.  There's a bunch of odd inconsistencies too, like some shops had 3D animated character models for the shopkeepr, others just had 2D portraits, and others had such bad 3D character models I swear they were just re-using assets from the original PSP game.

The combat itself got kind of repetitive, too.  I played it on hard and I regret that...there were some crazy difficulty spikes.  The weird thing is that it was always the big groups of trash mobs that were the hardest...the boss fights were kind of a joke.  But combat is a little stiff and you lack good crowd-control moves so when you get surrounded by trash mobs that deal 3 times as much damage as you do (as they do on hard...) there's not a lot you can do about it.  Chain-stripping (yes, that's a thing) is always fun, though.

On the more positive side the actual story was fun in a campy anime sort of way and running around a reasonably faithful reproduction of Akihabara is pretty cool.  Still, compared to something like the Yakuza games there just isn't that much to do in the city.  There are lots of shops but surprisingly few minigames and stuff.  A few of the side missions were pretty funny but most of them were quite same-y.  Are walking around very rarely prompted any sort of events, unless you want out of your way to make something happen.

I guess I enjoyed my time with the game, but I wouldn't really call it a great game.  More like an OK game.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 05:54:54 AM »

So what genre is this game exactly?

Is it an action game? Action RPG? I've seen the Japanese version for sale plenty of times and it looked more like a dating sim.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 08:26:13 AM »

Stripping simulator
solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 12:42:11 PM »

Stripping simulator

Sold

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 03:15:56 PM »

So what genre is this game exactly?

Is it an action game? Action RPG? I've seen the Japanese version for sale plenty of times and it looked more like a dating sim.

I'd say action/adventure with some light RPG elements.  It's similar to something like Kenka Bancho or even Yakuza, though with a lot less stuff to do in town.

It's definitely not a dating sim...

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 03:55:19 PM »

So an enhanced PS4 version of the game was just announced.

I wonder if Xseed is going to bring that over...

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 09:08:38 PM »

I think we'll see XSeed and Atlus stay on PS3 for a while.

It's cheaper for them, just like it was for PS2.

solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 10:11:10 PM »

Not to mention, the user base is much much larger than for the PS4. Cheaper and more money to be made.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 02:36:13 AM »

Um, Xseed is just a translator/publisher.  They go where the games are.

I don't even know what you're talking about with regards to cost...the cost of translating is not affected by the platform.  Nor does Sony charge people more to release something on PS4.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 12:04:23 PM »

That said though, this might become the worst looking PS4 game =/
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 08:05:25 PM »

Um, Xseed is just a translator/publisher.  They go where the games are.

I don't even know what you're talking about with regards to cost...the cost of translating is not affected by the platform.  Nor does Sony charge people more to release something on PS4.

Well I meant there is a built-in market with PS3 that already exists and it's easy to bring over PS3 games from Japan right now, especially when there's not a ton coming out for PS4.
I meant it's cheaper for Atlus to stick with PS3 but it's probably easy money for XSeed. Who knows, maybe they'll throw some stuff on Vita or 3DS in the future.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 08:17:57 PM »

Wouldn't the fact that there's not a ton coming out for PS4 make the ones that are coming out more valuable?

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 08:19:15 PM »

That said though, this might become the worst looking PS4 game =/

I was thinking that.

Are there any Japanese developed games happening on the PS4?  Besides FF15?  I'm confident Capcom will be fine transitioning, but...eep, it doesn't feel like many others even have a good grasp of the PS3 yet.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 08:24:39 PM »

Yakuza Ishin looks fantastic on PS4.  Of course it looks pretty good on PS3 too...

But yea, I thought Akiba's Trip 2 was pretty ugly even on PS3.  Not really a prime candidate for an HD remake...

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: