Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 01:51:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334510 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  2014 Kickstarter, Steam Greenlight, etc. thread. What's piqued your interest?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: 2014 Kickstarter, Steam Greenlight, etc. thread. What's piqued your interest?  (Read 3425 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« on: March 08, 2014, 08:35:27 AM »

With so many Kickstarters out there and games hoping to make the cut for Steam Greenlight, I thought I'd start a thread where we share those projects that have piqued our interest this year.  The ones that we hope make it because they appeal to us in some way.  

A few of mine:
Dragon Fin Soup by Grimm Bros. Workshop http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=231462918
http://dragonfinsoup.com/
This one looks like pure fun and it has style.  

Legena by Grandpa Pixel http://www.grandpapixel.com/legena.html This one hasn't hit Kickstarter yet, but I did have a chance to try out a really brief demo.  Yes, the game looks very retro, but it plays fairly modern.  I had more fun with it than I thought I would and I liked the music.  

And though its Kickstarter is over and it was already funded, Revolution 60 by Giant Spacekat. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spacekat/bring-revolution-60-to-pc-and-mac http://www.revolution60.com http://www.rpgfan.com/previews/Revolution_60/index.html This one's slated to release this year and the press demo I played last year appealed to me a lot.  This is the game I'm most excited about this year.  

I'm obviously interested in the new Shantae that was funded.  I was interested in Soul Saga by Disaster Cake, but it looks like the guy doesn't seem to have a solid plan in how to allocate his funds.

So, yeah, what are the games you've discovered that you'd like to see Kickstarter'd or Greenlighted this year?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 08:34:43 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 11:06:18 AM »

Here's some active Kickstarters that I'm currently backing:   

Subterranea-  a tactical turn-based cRPG that uses OGL ruleset (basically 3.5e D&D).  What really makes this game stand out is the physics / environmental interaction elements.  For ex:  You can blast a rope bridge with a spell and drop enemies into the chasm below.  Note: the gameplay footage is pre-alpha and the main reason the dev is seeking funding is to imrpove the animations and graphics. Greenlight page.   

Starcrawlers- a turn-based dungeon crawler in a Sci-Fi setting. 

Darkest Dungeon a gothic horror dungeon crawler where you have to manage your party member's stress levels. 

Earthlock: Festival of Magic sort of like Rune Factory with turn-based combat.   

Celestian Tales: Old North (which I've already mentioned here). 

Also there's Graywalkers: Purgatory.  An isometric turn-based cRPG set in a supernatural / post-apocalyptic setting.  Their first KS failed but they're set to launch a 2nd KS in about a week.  Greenlight Page

And I backed The Meridian Shard  which has already successfully been funded.  The developer is still taking pre-orders through his website though. 

Whew, so it's a pretty exciting year so far for indie RPGs in development (not to mention many of the  the already funded games I'm waiting for.  Many of which should be coming out later this year).

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 11:46:14 AM by daved » Logged
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 11:08:35 AM »

The only 2014 KickStarter that matters.

siveon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 05:15:12 AM »

I got nothing. After like 20 backs in a row last year I'm cutting back.

Props to Subterranea though, can't say if they're gonna get the money in time but the concept alone sounds Gold Box glorious. But finally given the modern sheen we've been needing. Sadly I'm going to guess that people are gonna pass due to the graphics. Ah well.

Lot of stuff I've been missing it seems, like 4/5ths of them I want but never knew I wanted in the first place. Turn Based Rune Factory? Sold.
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 08:11:06 AM »

Not quite:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2110528317/dark-skyes-an-epic-brony-dating-sim
siveon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 01:11:07 PM »

Oh dear god why.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 01:42:20 PM »

Of course nonsense like that exists.  I mean, didn't Japan have that pigeon-centric love adventure?  At the very least this pony one doesn't appear to be a Rule 34 nukige or something.  It seems like Brooktown High but with ponies. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:18:20 AM by Dincrest » Logged

daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 07:18:57 PM »

The worst part is they've already raised more funds than Subterreanea.  A modern take on the gold box RPGs with a highly interactive environment?  Pssh, nah, I'd rather have a My Little Pony dating sim. 
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 08:58:20 PM »

The worst part

Relevant
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 09:06:13 PM »

I may very well be entitled, but at least I'm not a brony. 
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 09:45:37 PM »

I may very well be entitled, but at least I'm not a brony. 

Ponies, bronies or otherwise have nothing to do with it. It could be Monkey Poo-Poo Fish Whale the Narking Sim for all that matters.

I like outlandish concepts, hell I utilize quite a bit of them in my writing.

The 'this is so out there it has no right to exist' mindset, when applied to anything, and further taken up when you attempt to rally groups to shower its existence with nothing but disdain is rather disgusting.

You're allowed to dislike things. You're allowed to not spend money on things you dislike. Claiming something doesn't deserve to be succeeding just because it runs contrary against your tastes? (Albeit potentially unintentional; although the context of your statements before highly suggest otherwise.) Not so much. Unless you're into that whole absolute censorship 'writers/artists have no rights' thing.

Which you might be for all I know.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 09:48:28 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 07:49:23 AM »

And why single out bronies and not weeaboos or any other insufferable fanbase out there?  The existence of "those" fans is not going to make me like anime or what-have-you any less.  No matter what, you will always have "those" fans out there, for anything.  And you know what?  They're worth marketing to.  If they latch onto something they like, they won't just speak with their wallets.  They'll shout with them.  Of course, do something they dislike and they'll immediately give you the silent treatment with their wallets, but while they're still shouting with their wallets...

So I'm not opposed to there being a Kickstarter game that does market to a particular fanbase.  That fanbase will eat it up.  Some people might cry "selling out" but the creators could say they're selling in, and may end up laughing all the way to the bank.  My only objection to that game is that it seems unimpressive for an alpha build.  The 2D art overlaid on top of photographs of malls and libraries is a blatant shortcut and looks cheap.   There's no mention of how RPG elements (like what?  Weapons?  Battles?) are incorporated.  Will it be like Fading Hearts?  I'm iffy on some of the voice acting too.  Like the jock pony doesn't sound like a genuine jock; more like a dorknerdgeek pretending to be a jock. 

Regardless, the fact that we're all so hung up on this is just publicity for the project.  

But thanks to the thread,  Meridian Shard, Greywalkers: Purgatory, Echoes of Eternea, and Starcrawlers have piqued my interest
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:12:37 PM by Dincrest » Logged

daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 08:09:42 AM »

Ponies, bronies or otherwise have nothing to do with it. It could be Monkey Poo-Poo Fish Whale the Narking Sim for all that matters.

I like outlandish concepts, hell I utilize quite a bit of them in my writing.

The 'this is so out there it has no right to exist' mindset, when applied to anything, and further taken up when you attempt to rally groups to shower its existence with nothing but disdain is rather disgusting.

You're allowed to dislike things. You're allowed to not spend money on things you dislike. Claiming something doesn't deserve to be succeeding just because it runs contrary against your tastes? (Albeit potentially unintentional; although the context of your statements before highly suggest otherwise.) Not so much. Unless you're into that whole absolute censorship 'writers/artists have no rights' thing.

Which you might be for all I know.

Lighten up, brah.  I'm not actually implying that this doesn't have a right to exist or anything of the sort.  Just poking a bit of fun.  I just find it hilarious that this game is getting the amount of support it is ($3000 and counting), but there's really no indignation here.  Based on the pitch video the project creator doesn't even take the game that seriously.  But I'm totally OK with the fact that you're a brony :p

But all seriousness, let's move back on topic to interesting Kickstarters / indie games that we personally *want* to succeed, which I think was the intended purpose of this thread.  Dragon Finn Soup does seem kind of interesting to me, but I'd like more info.. From what little info there is, it sounds to me like the game may have us alternating between different fairy tale character (Little Red Riding Hood being the only one shown so far), with their storylines iintersecting.  If done right this could be quite entertaining even though I'm not a huge fan of action RPGs in general. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 12:29:08 PM by daved » Logged
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 03:13:27 PM »

I'm not big on action RPGs either (I'm an ol' fashioned turn based dude), but Dragon Fin Soup's battles seem more tactical.  The Greenlight page says "turn based" a fair amount.  It and Echoes of Eternea seem most up my alley.  Those are the two I'm most interested in following.

I like Greywalkers: Purgatory's style and setting, because there aren't enough SRPGs that utilize this type of setting.  Starcrawlers appeals to the outer-space sci-fi fan in me, and The Meridian Shard appeals to my old-school aesthetics.  

I sampled the Festival of Magic demo, and while it's solid for what it is, it's not quite my cup of tea. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 10:49:39 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 05:05:49 PM »

Frog Fractions 2 KS is now live

If you haven't played the original, you're welcome. A full playthrough takes maybe an hour.  It'll be the best hour of your ****ing day. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: