Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 03:35:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338123 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  999 on iOS. VN only!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 999 on iOS. VN only!  (Read 812 times)
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2014, 05:45:38 PM »

Apparently 999 is making it's way to iOS next week as per silconera.

The game itself is devoid of puzzles, so there's that. Actually, that might be perfect, since I've wanted to play this, but don't really have the time. Having in the VN format is a pretty neat idea.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/10/999-novel-will-trap-iphone-users-march-17/
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 06:18:05 PM »

I'm semi-okay with this.  I think it's great that more people can experience this game and hopefully it'll do well enough to encourage more of this type of game on the platform.  

However, I think the perfect thing would be a balance of the two (original puzzle version vs. VN version).  I liked the puzzles, but I didn't like having to do them over and over in multiple playthroughs; an option to skip over previously done puzzles would have been sweet.  

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 07:05:23 PM »

Yeah, I see good and bad, as they say any press is good press but most of the puzzles, IMO, added to the game. VN's are, to an extent, a niche genre and will only appeal to some, where as puzzle games have a (slightly) broader appeal. But I certainly agree with the whole repeating the puzzles BS sucking big time, as well as having to repeat all of the convos, simply wore me out trying to get different endings.

Everything's Eventual
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 08:29:08 PM »

I loved the puzzles, I also loved that the graphics when solving the puzzles reminded me of one of those creepy horror PSX games too.

A loss, but it's good to say the series is still "alive", so to speak.  All the Breath of Fire series got was an artbook and the world still wonders if Valkyrie Profile: Hrist will ever happen.... yeah I know I'm going off base.  STILL.  *pout pout*

I'd consider double-dipping for this if I had an iPhone.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 02:49:37 AM »

Oh, this would be quite convenient for European gamers who didn't get a chance to play the DS game (it was never released here and we had to import the US version). Any announcement for a European release or are we going to be left behind again?
Arklight

Know the meaning of Odio.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 04:12:03 PM »

Alright, I've pretty much filled out the "flowchart" by this point. Well, I'm on track for the true end, and it's basically straight shooting from this point, so I suppose I can share some thoughts. The new character art is really quite good. The body shots have been replaced with headshots, but that's not too bad. The facial expressions are what matter most, and those are, again, good. Junpei now has new character art in-game which is also cool. My only gripe with this new "speech bubble" system is that the character faces still appear over CGs, even when those characters are IN the CG. I'm okay with other speaking characters getting "headshots" while those CGs are up I suppose, but seeing the same person's face appear on screen twice just felt sort of odd to me.

Also, the music looping was rather clumsily done. The way it seemed to work was that after the game would go through a loop of any particular track, after the loop finished, the next loop started for about half a second, but then the song reset and started ANOTHER new loop, which was a surefire way to yank me out of the experience.

Finally, a new...piece of story was added, but sadly, it honestly doesn't contribute much. Even so though, the ios port of 999 still spins a wonderful tale and is good for perhaps a revisiting of the story. I wouldn't use this port as the first time experiencing 999, however. Upon completing an ending, the game will flat out tell you which doors to go through for completion. Also, the flowchart model of story jumping sort of added complications to certain required story flags, and if you don't know to rewatch certain scenes, you can actually MISS entire scenes if you jump ahead. Keep that in mind if you plan to make the ios port your first run through.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 08:31:04 PM »

Finally, a new...piece of story was added, but sadly, it honestly doesn't contribute much. Even so though, the ios port of 999 still spins a wonderful tale and is good for perhaps a revisiting of the story. I wouldn't use this port as the first time experiencing 999, however. Upon completing an ending, the game will flat out tell you which doors to go through for completion. Also, the flowchart model of story jumping sort of added complications to certain required story flags, and if you don't know to rewatch certain scenes, you can actually MISS entire scenes if you jump ahead. Keep that in mind if you plan to make the ios port your first run through.

Before I plunk down money on this (I've literally bought 4 copies of the DS version to be a 999 missionary) ... can you put in spoiler-code what the "new piece of story" is? Fingers crossed that it's Lotus, Lotus' kids, and/or Alice-related. :)

Arklight

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 09:17:18 PM »

Before I plunk down money on this (I've literally bought 4 copies of the DS version to be a 999 missionary) ... can you put in spoiler-code what the "new piece of story" is? Fingers crossed that it's Lotus, Lotus' kids, and/or Alice-related. :)

Code:
Don't get too excited. It's just a new bad ending that occurs when you choose Door 3 as your second door. It's just another Death by Clover™, just less...unsettling. They even reuse the same "outstretched hand" CG.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 06:51:17 AM »

Code:
Don't get too excited. It's just a new bad ending that occurs when you choose Door 3 as your second door. It's just another Death by Clover™, just less...unsettling. They even reuse the same "outstretched hand" CG.

Code:
Out of curiosity (since I'll never get the game on iOS) what does she use to kill you in the new ending?
Arklight

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 10:50:28 AM »

Code:

Code:
Out of curiosity (since I'll never get the game on iOS) what does she use to kill you in the new ending?

Code:
She stabs Junpei with Ace's syringe and then pushes him into the water of D Deck.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: