Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 12:33:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338627 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Trek or Wars..
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Trek or Wars..  (Read 2821 times)
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2014, 01:47:58 AM »

Topic.  I'm Trek. Not crazy hardcore but I know my stuff.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 01:58:59 AM »

Both suck.

Trek has been sucking less lately with the Abrams movies, but Third Trilogy is on the way and could redeem some of the Second Trilogy (not all, mind).

But for my track record, Wars as a kid (thanks Muppet Babies), moved onto Trek as I got older (especially with DS9 and going back to TOS), then Voyager/Enterprise/Trek 10/New Trilogy killed both for me.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 02:02:46 AM »

Star Trek:  The Next Generation was my show.  I had a huge crush on Data.  Star Wars was okay.  I liked the old movies but gave up after watching The Phantom Menace.  So yeah Count me in the Star Trek camp.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 02:17:59 AM »

Im actually a Ds9 guy because of the continuity of the last few seasons but I love the universe. Like the new movies as well. Great casting for the most part

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 02:23:13 AM »

Wars is good, but I think Trek has more cumulatively good hours of entertainment and a lot more creativity -- even if the "world of Star Wars" is fascinating.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 02:24:42 AM »

Trek has been sucking less lately with the Abrams movies

No.

No.  No.  No.  No.  No.  No.  No.  No.  No.  No.  No.  No.  No.  No.  No.  No. 

I think you spelled "completely ruined by" incorrectly.

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 05:40:30 AM »

Battlestar Galactica

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 08:36:20 AM »

Trek has been sucking less lately with the Abrams movies

No.

I echo this somewhat, but then Trek has been bad for a long while now, so "sucking less" would be appropriate depending on how you read it. The TNG movies were all pretty bad, but the Abrams movies are pretty bad too. I'm not against trying to add more action to Trek (this is something a couple people unfamiliar with Trek like to state, but it's not like even the good Trek movies outside of 4 were nothing but dialogue end-to-end) as long as you keep some substance. Star Trek 11 had some excuse of needing to revive a franchise that had been cursed with one bad movie after another plus a canceled TV series, but Into Darkness supposedly had no such handicap and somehow ended up being worse.

As you can probably gather, I'm more into Trek than Wars. Star Wars is good too though- honestly the goal of the two franchises are pretty different, so it's hard to even compare them beyond just saying they both take place in space.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 09:46:10 AM »

I'm a bit strange in that while I love video games that take place mostly in space, I can't stand that particular brand of sci-fi in other media. I guess I'll have to go with Star Wars since it's less of a "space voyage" story, but I'm really not the biggest fan of either.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 10:37:58 AM »

Going against the grain and "popular" opinion and saying Star Wars as I enjoyed the prequels for what they were and even consider Episode III at or near the top of the series chain, although I'm not well versed in Trek outside of the Abrahams stuff. One day I'll watch the old movies when I have infinite time.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 11:10:31 AM »

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xj4e72_star-trek-2009-review-part-1-of-2-red-letter-media_shortfilms
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xj4edh_star-trek-2009-review-part-2-of-2-red-letter-media_shortfilms
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 11:40:53 AM »

Good ol' RLM. Only thing I dislike about them is the normal things you'd associate with viral Internet celebrities (an annoying fanbase/anti-fanbase).

I'm a bit strange in that while I love video games that take place mostly in space, I can't stand that particular brand of sci-fi in other media.

Funny, I'm the opposite. I play lots and lots of high fantasy games but I feel most fantasy movies/TV shows are schlock. On the other hand I love watching Space Operas but I'm pretty lukewarm on SciFi video games. There's exceptions like LOTR movies and the Mass Effect games, but for the most part that's how I go.

I'm not well versed in Trek outside of the Abrahams stuff. One day I'll watch the old movies when I have infinite time.

Part of what makes the Abrams Trek movies so polarizing is the fact that they've become more generic space adventure films, so you probably don't get a complete picture of what Trek is "about" (Some of it's still in the Abrams movies but it's pretty thin). Adventure was always part of it, but there was usually something beyond that the audience was being asked to think about. Movies have never been that nice to Trek though- like, only half of 12 Trek movies are generally considered good, at most. (2, 4, 6, some people argue for 1, 3, 8, and 11/12 and very occasionally 10)
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 12:19:22 PM »

I'm a Trek guy. What I always enjoyed about pre-Abrams Trek was:

1) Trek is at its core a very optimistic premise. Mankind didn't just avoid wiping each other out, we actually came together and help lead other alien races into alliances of peace. That's pretty great.

2) The main characters on the Enterprise are not superhuman. They're just for the most part regular crew members, regular members of their species, that are doing the best they can. Together they are more than the sum of their parts.

Abrams Trek loses that sense a little bit - Spock is a child of destiny. Kirk is a child of destiny. Uehara can detect subsonic frequencies. Scotty is a mechanical genius that actually invents new methods of warp beam technology. Chekov is a super math genius. Etc. I don't HATE the Abrams Trek movies, they are as previously mentioned very terrific movies that would be just fine with the name "Generic Space Action Film". But they don't at all feel like what Star Trek is about to me.

All things must go on and new interpretations will always emerge and that's okay, there is certainly a TON of old Trek material to go back and enjoy.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 12:26:02 PM »

Never touched Trek because it seems to be a bit too much, too many shows, too many movies, I just cant be bothered.
As far as Star Wars goes I marathoned all 6 movies in storyline order a few summers ago and enjoyed it a lot(had never seen or watched or played anything of it beforehand), I didnt understand the hate for the prequels because I enjoyed them a lot myself but I get it a little bit now. I still like them  but I can see how the direction they took with some of the concepts wasnt optimal for long time fans.
My least favourite was the 4th movie(the first one ever made) which is ironic since that's a fan favourite, it lacked substance to me, I dont know, it was just somewhat boring to watch, the last two movies of each trilogy were my favourites.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:37:00 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 01:08:57 PM »

I think they're both fine, but I'm a Trek guy at heart.  I recently stumbled across a DVD collection of all of the alternate reality/altered timeline/altered life episodes from all of the series, and it's reminded me of the stuff I loved about it.  All of the series have their bad episodes - some a higher percentage than others - but they all also have good ones.

This is the DVD set I got.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: