Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 02:47:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330093 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGs for the Sega Saturn
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: RPGs for the Sega Saturn  (Read 900 times)
LINK398

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2014, 11:55:10 AM »

been a while since I posted here and I got really into video games and collecting again. I'm a gamer first so I dont collect for no reason just to let the games sit there on the shelf I play them. Ive made a lot of big purchases lately since I bought a TurboGrafx 16 and a Sega Saturn a while ago and been enjoying both consoles a lot they are really underrated. I picked up a lot of good games for both consoles such as Blazing Lazers and Fantasy Zone Dungeon Explorer which is actually an Atlus game for the Turbografx 16 and the very rare Bonk 3 on the Saturn I bought many games like Galactic Attack and Burning Rangers and also Shining Force 3 thats actually what I wanted to mention about the Saturn it doesnt have that many role playing games but the ones it has are great like Shining Force 3. Ive never played one of these before but they seemed like Fire Emblem and I wanted to give it a try since that is one of my favorite series. Two other games that I have waiting are Albert Odyssey and Panzer Dragoon Saga the first one is a Working Designs game that looks cool I read the review on this site and that was enough to buy it and the mighty expensive Saturn RPG Panzer Dragoon Saga seems great. Any opinions on the Saturn RPG library or any games to check out was just curious thanks
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 03:09:31 PM »

My one suggestion is that I hope you live in Japan or aren't afraid to browse their used game stores, because that's where all da' RPGs at. The few that did make it out of Japan are expensive as hell regardless of quality, and of those, the four most worth owning are Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force 3 pt 1., Dragon Force, and Guardian Heroes. After that your choices are Albert Odyssey, that Magic Knight Rayearth RPG, Legend of Oasis 2, a couple of Shining (not Force) games, and a bunch of crap not even worth mentioning.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 06:20:46 PM »

Expensive as hell is putting it mildly.... The prices of Saturn RPG's in decent shape could be considered justifiably as robbery.

I spend a fortune on games and even I haven't embarked on securing as Saturn library.

Although I can't say I'm not tempted. I have very fond recollections of Dragon Force and Shining Wisdom from my youth. Always wanted to play Magic Knight Rayearth as well.

Shining Wisdom actually looks to be a wee bit more modestly priced than most....

Damn, I'm foreseeing an itch I may need to scratch eventually. By eventually, I of course mean in the year 2029 when I have finally polished off some of my backlog.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 06:50:47 PM »

I'm going to say Mystaria (also known as Blazing Heroes later on stateside).

This game was probably panned...but I played the crap out of it and it holds a special place. I mean, my friend who saw me play this went and bought a Saturn just to play this game.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 07:48:54 PM »

I'll second Mystaria. It's a wonderful game, though the graphics are kind of dated. (Okay, very)

My list:

Dragon Force: Worth EVERY penny. So much replay value, wonderful game. Aged like fine wine.
Magic Knight Rayearth: Not as rare as it should be, given it was the last game ever for the Saturn.
Shining The Holy Ark: Also dated, but still fun, solid dungeon crawler.
Shining Wisdom: Not great, but far from bad.
Shining Force III: Only part of the story, but it stands alone, and it's a lot of fun.

Avoid:
Virtual Hydlide. Irredeemable garbage.
Panzer Dragoon Saga: Wait, put down the pitchforks. It has its charms, but it is NOT worth the asking price. I vastly prefer the Xbox title.
Put the money you would waste on Saga towards Dragon Force and get eight times the fun out of it.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 08:26:23 PM »

Hm... I own...

-I have Shining Force 3 (all three parts). Japanese versions. There are English scripts for all three, and the games' menus are almost entirely icon based, so it's VERY easy to read along with since the actual gameplay requires no japanese skillzz at all. Also the Japanese releases are, uh, cheap.
Shining of the Holy Ark
Guardian Heroes
Oasis 2
Dark Savior

I like Oasis 2 and Dark Savior but they're very marginally RPGs. Actually I guess GH is pretty marginal too.

I keep meaning to pick up Mystaria/Blazing Heroes -- it's cheap and despite being really gross look, I've heard good things about it.

Sort of want Dragon Force maybe?

Panzer Dragoon Saga is... I've played it. Don't own it. I think it's pretty overrated and extremely overvalued. I do not, by any means, think that it's a bad game, buuuut...

It's easy. Extremely easy and that's where most of my problems with the game stem from. I didn't need to mess with customizing my dragon's stats until disc 3, and even then I think that was just for one fight. Magic's not that useful in general. And... I guess the central mechanic of the battle system is that you can move around in relation to your enemy in combat, to get into its blindspots where it can't attack you, or to get into a position where you can hit its weakpoint. But a lot of this turns into just waiting till the enemy is vulnerable and you can't really be PROACTIVE about it. And as I said, it's easy, so the fights get even less interesting.

Also random encounters are really high and there aren't many enemies per area and you figure out their attack patterns REALLY quickly.

I think... an RPG that had traditional PD rail shooter bits instead of dungeons/boss fights might've been more interesting.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 08:32:07 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

The Legendary Zoltan
Narcissistic Legend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 08:32:41 PM »

Yeah, the one I always hear about that I've always wanted to play is Panzer Dragoon Saga. It costs a trillion dollars though.

siveon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 09:03:30 PM »

Oh thank goodness. I always thought I was missing something REAL important for the Sega Saturn. I could never get the darn emulator to work and the asking price is WAY over my budget.

100 dollars? I could buy like, every Fire Emblem game I don't own that came out to the US.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 09:12:36 PM »

Oh thank goodness. I always thought I was missing something REAL important for the Sega Saturn. I could never get the darn emulator to work and the asking price is WAY over my budget.

100 dollars? I could buy like, every Fire Emblem game I don't own that came out to the US.

Good luck on getting Path of Radiance then (unless you already have it). That game's been jacking up in price due to the whole 'being released late in the console's life cycle' thing, and that nobody but fans really jumped on that bandwagon back then. Actually, I think they're all getting harder to get (aside from Awakening).

And one of these days, I need to get my hands on a Sega Saturn to play my copy of Dragon Force.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 09:14:52 PM »

I think... an RPG that had traditional PD rail shooter bits instead of dungeons/boss fights might've been more interesting.

Just in case CJ_Iwakura didn't drive the point home, or you missed it, I will intentionally echo the Dragon Force love he expressed.

If you are at all considering Dragon Force,  JUST DO IT!! It was, in my honest opinion, one Working Designs finest achievements. Whats more, I still can't say any game to this day really reminds of it... Quite a unique experience it was.

I'm still upset we didn't get the sequel stateside! LoL

As far as Panzer Dragoon goes, I totally agree with your statements Mesh. I will be so bold as to say I didn't enjoy my time with it at all. Its been a LONG time so I can't recall precisely why, but it was the only Saturn JRPG I dropped. Hell, to be honest I enjoyed Albert Odyssey more then PDS. Albert Odyssey wasn't exactly stellar by any means but at least it had charm... Panzer Dragoon had... ummmm.. yea, I'm at a loss... dragons I guess...?

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
LINK398

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 11:09:13 PM »

Maybe I  didnt make the first post clear enough but I already have Albert Odyssey Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force 3 along with many other games that arent RPGs. I actually started to get a lot of non RPGs and thats what I mainly wanted the Sega Saturn for I just figured Id pick up a few that were on the system and thats why I bought those three. Im towards the end of Shining Force 3 and just started Panzer Dragoon Saga had a few questions about the game actually. Are all of the items that have a yellow icon (the useable items have a green icon) just to sell to the shops because they all have different descriptions that are kinda weird. By the way the first disc was about 2 hours long but I already knew going into the game that its pretty short. The game is fun to just move around but so far nothing big in the game has happened. Also does anyone remember what the 4 different dragon forms do I already know what the agility the attack and defense forms do its just the last one but as far as the game itself so far so good
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 11:30:10 PM »

Just in case CJ_Iwakura didn't drive the point home, or you missed it, I will intentionally echo the Dragon Force love he expressed.

If you are at all considering Dragon Force,  JUST DO IT!! It was, in my honest opinion, one Working Designs finest achievements. Whats more, I still can't say any game to this day really reminds of it... Quite a unique experience it was.

I'm still upset we didn't get the sequel stateside! LoL

As far as Panzer Dragoon goes, I totally agree with your statements Mesh. I will be so bold as to say I didn't enjoy my time with it at all. Its been a LONG time so I can't recall precisely why, but it was the only Saturn JRPG I dropped. Hell, to be honest I enjoyed Albert Odyssey more then PDS. Albert Odyssey wasn't exactly stellar by any means but at least it had charm... Panzer Dragoon had... ummmm.. yea, I'm at a loss... dragons I guess...?

WD didn't do Dragon Force II for a very good reason: it's pretty bad. Less detailed sprites, bland graphics, forgettable music, it's a pale shadow.

That said, it is being fan translated, so...
http://www.verve-fanworks.com/SMF/index.php?topic=881.0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M51N4re-pBk

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 12:58:20 AM »

Maybe I  didnt make the first post clear enough but I already have Albert Odyssey Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force 3 along with many other games that arent RPGs. I actually started to get a lot of non RPGs and thats what I mainly wanted the Sega Saturn for I just figured Id pick up a few that were on the system and thats why I bought those three. Im towards the end of Shining Force 3 and just started Panzer Dragoon Saga had a few questions about the game actually. Are all of the items that have a yellow icon (the useable items have a green icon) just to sell to the shops because they all have different descriptions that are kinda weird. By the way the first disc was about 2 hours long but I already knew going into the game that its pretty short. The game is fun to just move around but so far nothing big in the game has happened. Also does anyone remember what the 4 different dragon forms do I already know what the agility the attack and defense forms do its just the last one but as far as the game itself so far so good

It's been a while so I can't remember about the items.  Spiritual form is for berserk skills.  I think it makes them stronger or cost less, I forget.  It raises your BP more on level up. 

...and PDS can't be overrated :P
Vencoris

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 01:13:46 AM »

Shining the holy ark is definitely one of my favorite dungeon crawlers, but then I always had a soft spot for the entire 'shining' franchise.

Guardian Heroes is also an incredible game (though not strictly speaking an RPG) if you have people to play it with, I haven't played a brawler yet that beats it.

I'll repeat all the Dragon Force praise here, the closest way I can think to describe it is a 'light' version of a Koei strategy game, but in a good way.  Games can be finished in a reasonable amount of time, battles are fun and it has a lot of charm.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 12:45:05 PM »

Played through Panzer Dragoon Saga, it's a great JRPG but my god it's so not worth the asking price.. It doesnt even hold a candle to the best ps1 jrpgs. It's a tier 2 RPG(4/5 stars) in my book.
I would never in hell buy an English copy of it, getting a Japanese copy will do for my collection, it's good enough for that atleast. If I ever got one for some reason by blind luck, I would immediately sell it to buy bigger and better things.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: