Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 09:39:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331356 Posts in 13571 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Starting my 1st campaign of Dragon Age Origins!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Starting my 1st campaign of Dragon Age Origins!  (Read 361 times)
Wristrokkit

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2014, 01:13:40 PM »

I am embarking on my first single player game of Dragon Age. I am an old school RPG gamer and have been out of the loop for a while...haven't played since the old Baldurs Gate days. Will I like this game? I also have the Awakenings expansion. Do I need to play through the original DA before I install it? Any tips or tricks I could use?
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 01:42:47 PM »

I am embarking on my first single player game of Dragon Age. I am an old school RPG gamer and have been out of the loop for a while...haven't played since the old Baldurs Gate days. Will I like this game? I also have the Awakenings expansion. Do I need to play through the original DA before I install it? Any tips or tricks I could use?

I think if you enjoy Baldur's Gate series you will enjoy Dragon Age: Origins.  You can go ahead and install Awakenings; it doesn't matter.. The Awakenings campaign takes place after the storyline of DA: O (unfortunately Awakenings sn't nearly as good and I found it too easy even on the highest difficulty setting) but worth playing once.  DA: O has it's issues; one particular issue is that the classes aren't balanced well- in general Mages > Warriors > Rogues.  But it has a decent story and lots of side quests and secrets to find.  You may need to consult a wiki / walkthrough to find some of the most powerful weapons. 

Here's how I would actually suggest playing Dragon Age Origins:  Create a character and play through their Origin story (probably a couple hours long each) until you get taken to Ostagar.  Do this for several of the origins...Maybe even all 6. The Origins completely different and this will let you try out the different classes without having to replay anything.  Then choose your favorite character and actually play the whole game. 

I'd also say that most of the DLC for Dragon Age Origins is actually worth getting; in particular, the Witch Hunt DLC is great especially if you like Morrigan's character.   
Wristrokkit

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 03:20:20 PM »

Sweet! Thanks dungeon-crawler...Damn, I guess I need to go back to Gamestop and see if they still have the Ultimate Edition, the package that features all the dlc. I looked in the xbox marketplace and individually they are pricey. I appreciate the info. I was a bit intimidated by the instruction book...it seemed like a lot of menus and stuff to remember.
siveon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 09:02:23 PM »

Sweet! Thanks dungeon-crawler...Damn, I guess I need to go back to Gamestop and see if they still have the Ultimate Edition, the package that features all the dlc. I looked in the xbox marketplace and individually they are pricey. I appreciate the info. I was a bit intimidated by the instruction book...it seemed like a lot of menus and stuff to remember.

Don't worry about that. I played through Dragon Age: Origins when I was like...Thirteen. On the highest difficulty setting.  The game is pretty simple once you understand what's completely useless and how to pretty much break the game. There are like one or two different enemies that might give you trouble, but after you hit like level 20 the game is pretty much over. Don't know about Awakening though, never touched any of the DLC aside from that one side mission where you play as Darkspawn.

The game can be pretty fun though. Just don't expect anything groundbreaking.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 09:15:25 PM »

Don't worry about that. I played through Dragon Age: Origins when I was like...Thirteen.

Jesus Christ you just made me feel old...

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 09:36:13 PM »

Keep more than one save file in case of dreaded points of no return, which killed me towards the end of my original playthrough and made the game unwinnable for me.

Wristrokkit

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 04:41:18 AM »

More than one save file, got it. Man, I'm excited...the screenshots for this look so cool. Thanks you!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 10:21:34 AM »

Keep more than one save file in case of dreaded points of no return, which killed me towards the end of my original playthrough and made the game unwinnable for me.

I do this for every RPG I play... been burned too many times in the past haha.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: