Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 07:59:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327878 Posts in 13423 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Shimomura's "memoria" will own your face
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Shimomura's "memoria" will own your face  (Read 532 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2014, 01:43:46 PM »

If you guys haven't been following:

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/memoria/

It's a follow-up to "drammatica." Unlike that album, this Square-Enix-sponsored Shimomura tribute ALSO features Super Mario RPG and Parasite Eve. And it's not just orchestral anymore (for example, the new "Kiss of Jealousy" track from Livealive is a pop vocal!!).

Listen to those samples. Be blown away. This is all kinds of exciting.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 01:49:25 PM »

As RPGFan's Biggest Fan of Shimomura, I approve.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 03:17:35 PM »

My butt tingled in happiness!

Honestly happy to see Pain the Universe.  The fact I could rock out to MIDI was nice, but a revamp will be simply awesome!
Mario RPG rep is nice too

Can't wait, do want, gimme gimme gimme!!

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Arklight

Know the meaning of Odio.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 11:52:34 AM »

I am SO MANY DIFFERENT KINDS of hyped right now.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 01:31:44 AM »

OK. So it's out!

= Meh @ Pain the Universe.  This makes me sad because I was reaallly looking forward to this one.  I really think it should have owned the HARD ROCK vibe it had going.  The synth organ [?] thing did little for me and it had an odd strum kick in every so often.  When i thought of a remade Pain the Universe, I think Sakuraba or Revo having that 'hardcore' feeling down much better.  This was boss music lite.

= The other Legend of Mana tracks were great.  In Flames was brilliant, and I loved hearing the Song of Mana in, what it definitely, the most realized version of the opening and main theme.  Good to hear the same Swedish singer back on it.  I always found the song was...kinda cheesy, but sweet.  Anyways, it works beautifully with such a grand orchestra.
...I actually thought In Flames would have really rocked that Latin choir used in the new FF15 theme too.

= Sweet jesus Megalomania did NOT need lyrics.  It *was* a good idea, but I guess the Engrish is distracting (maybe they should have stuck with Japanese; or shit, is it that hard to find an English singer in Japan?  Get Donna Burke, she's done everything). 
The original song is so sharp and precise sounding, adding lyrics just feels like noise on top of a tune good enough without the additions *.  In saying that, the karaoke one is more my style. The other Liva a Live song doesn't do much for me either.  It's short and cute...maybe playing the game would have changed my mind on how I feel about it.
Not to bring up Sakuraba again (I know people are torn on him here), but I like when he does his Arrange albums he's much more progressive about it adding to themes solos or instrumentals they didn't have before. 

= FF15 = KH.  Eh.  It's more her usual that you've come to expect...but in revealing another *Final Fantasy 15* track, I guess you gotta go big or go home, you can't play, for example, something that...well, doesn't have the epic Latin or fancy violins.  But it's good, but not really hooking me, what, 10 Kingdom Hearts albums in where those types of tunes are a STAPLE. :P

= Great having Mario RPG representation, both tracks were lovely and performed perfectly with that sweet and storybook-y feel.

= Aya's theme on piano?!  Lovely.  Very dramatic and unique, transferring the more techno vibe of the originally very elegantly.

= I like the diversity of the album, but as a whole, I thought Drammatica was stronger (again, as a whole).  That not me saying it's bad, because what I like in Memoria I *loved* instead.  Just those few tracks that don't do much.  Which is fine, a lot of other albums fare much worse.

*(I'm not a music person to use good terminology here, bear with me)

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 04:48:10 PM »

I want a Parasite Eve piano collection after listening to A.Y.A.

I really REALLY like the HIDEAWAYS vocal tracks. Kiss of Jealousy ftw. :)

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 05:28:46 PM »

Yeah, I have to say that MEGALOMANIA and Pain the Universe are probably two of my favorite tunes on the album. Super catchy.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 07:04:51 PM »

Yeah, I have to say that MEGALOMANIA and Pain the Universe are probably two of my favorite tunes on the album. Super catchy.

haha go figure

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: