Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 12:07:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334710 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGs for the Sega Saturn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: RPGs for the Sega Saturn  (Read 1077 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 06:19:32 PM »

Oh thank goodness. I always thought I was missing something REAL important for the Sega Saturn. I could never get the darn emulator to work and the asking price is WAY over my budget.

@siveon

wrt Saturn emulation, two points.

1. SSF works great and doesn't require a BIOS, meaning you can use it without having to download anything of questionable legality. The setup can be a bit confusing, though -- it saves profiles based on the games your playing, I think, but it's not transparent about doing this. Huge weird thing is that you need to manually set the region and the thing's kind of finicky about whether it sticks or not.

2. Avoid pirating Saturn games and just use actual, original game discs. Legal issues aside, they're going to work better with SSF.

--- edit ---

Just bought Dragon Force. h8 u fuckkrs >:C

If anyone's interested there are two other disc-only copies on eBay for 60 with free S&H right now, which is a pretty good price for it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 12:46:04 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

siveon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 01:05:21 AM »

2. Avoid pirating Saturn games and just use actual, original game discs. Legal issues aside, they're going to work better with SSF.

Did I also mention I'm broke?

If anyone's interested there are two other disc-only copies on eBay for 60 with free S&H right now, which is a pretty good price for it.

See, even that is over budget for me.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 01:19:46 AM »

I wasn't necessarily directing that at you :TTT

If you want cheapish saturn games and aren't afraid of reading along with a script, there's this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shining-Force-III-3-Part-1-I-Sega-Saturn-Complete-JP-Japan-Import-Scenario-/351013895791?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item51ba0efe6f

http://www.shiningforcecentral.com/?p=scripts&id=sf3

o/` I do not dream o/`

siveon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 01:34:35 AM »

I know, I was just showing how I broke I really was. :p

Importing games and reading the translated scripts is not ideal for me to be honest. But if the game is good enough I'll try it out.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 06:54:24 AM »

I know, I was just showing how I broke I really was. :p

Importing games and reading the translated scripts is not ideal for me to be honest. But if the game is good enough I'll try it out.

You can use daemon tools to use ISOs you dumped yourself on to the computer and configure SSF to run the games off the Virtual drive. It works.

LINK398

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 12:56:24 AM »

So when does Panzer Dragoon Saga become worth $300 so far im on the third disc and the story doesnt seem to stray too far from basically Edge the empire and the other bad guy all racing to get to this super important place but their hasnt really been any major plot twists at all. By the way the description is vague because of possible spoilers but anyway will there be some like major plot twists or anything really to make the story more interesting because so far the story is not that interesting. The gameplay is fun but even that is starting to get a little boring. Please do not give any spoilers but aside from that Dragon Force might have been the better choice for a game it looks very interesting and fun for a strategy game
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 01:55:38 AM »

Honestly I think a lot of PDS' draw is its aesthetic and uniqueness and possibly just the Saturn not having a lot of RPGs in general. It has some really solid worldbuilding but I think you miss that without playing the Panzer Dragoon shooters or diving into the backstory?

It's kind of carelessly put together in the same way that a lot of Square's games were carelessly put together, I guess? I talked about my issues with the game earlier -- none of the mechanics really gel. It has these systems that don't really interact.

It's worth 200-300 dollars because of its reputation and most people don't actually /keep/ the game after buying it. It's sort of understood that if you drop 200 on it you can get that back by re-selling it, which keeps the price up too -- it's sort of, uh, a rental with some "hey don't fuck this up" insurance.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: