Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 08:44:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341050 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FF8: Steamy Gameshark Edition
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: FF8: Steamy Gameshark Edition  (Read 934 times)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2014, 01:09:23 PM »

Bad title; but whatever.

http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/final-fantasy-viii-now-updated-new-features
So a new version of FF8 on Steam allows for some...interesting features (to some; I'm sure not others)

High Speed Mode

Speedrunner special! This mode allows you to speed up certain parts of the game (cutscenes, movies, battles and more) by up to five times the regular speed!

Battle Assistance

Great for final boss battles or for taking on Ultima/Omega Weapon again, this booster grants you an always full ATB gauge, always full HP as well as making Limit Breaks always available. It's almost like cheating, except that your characters will still die if the damage they suffer from one hit is greater than their HP levels.

Pretty self-explanatory! Your normal attacks, certain limit breaks and some Guardian Force (G.F.) attacks will always deal the maximum 9,999 damage.

AP Max

Ability Points (AP) are used to teach your G.F. new abilities. This booster therefore allows your G.F. to max out their APs when you're on the world map. This should also help those of you attempting the No-Level challenge!

Magic and Gil Max

The magic booster, as before will give you 100 of each acquired magic spell, but this booster now also allows you to give yourself the maximum limit of Gil.

I'd actually *kill* for this for FF9, mostly for that Speed Up feature (and because fact: FF9>FF8).  And for the sake of replays and getting that game experience without some of the hassles (since the above is all optional) I think this is a great idea -- and actually might make me finally replay FF8 and figure out all the goods and bads all over again.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 01:26:59 PM »

And yet nothing to implement Pocketstation functionality.

Though High Speed Mode does sound nice.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 01:34:56 PM »

Now you got me daydreaming about FF9 battles not taking 3 weeks to load.

Mmmm.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 05:43:20 PM »

I actually sort of prefer FF8 to FF9 because Triple Triad>Tetra Master, and you can actually get some benefits from Triple Triad such as items from cards, whereas Tetra Master's shittily explained in-game FF9.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 06:01:47 PM »

Er, does anyone actually need that "help" mode? FFVIII is pretty easy in general.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 06:15:33 PM »

Well... getting 100 of every magic is nice in the sense that you don't have to stay there and draw for 10 minutes at every boss.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 06:20:42 PM »

I would like to see more interesting types of cheats where you could create challenge runs easily.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 07:21:05 PM »

I thought they added Pocket Chocobo to this.

In theory, PC version of FFVIII should be more moddable than the PSX version so... No, honestly, I've tried FFVIII fanpatches, the game still falls apart on disc 2.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 07:30:26 PM »

I actually sort of prefer FF8 to FF9 because Triple Triad>Tetra Master, and you can actually get some benefits from Triple Triad such as items from cards, whereas Tetra Master's shittily explained in-game FF9.

Actually, I feel like both games sucked to a certain extent. It's just that the only reason why anyone liked Triple Triad was that it let you break the main game wide open, but the guide damn it nature of getting the cards (or in FFVIII's case, replacing one form of grinding with another).

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 04:53:43 AM »

I love Triple Triad, but the AI is incredibly easy to predict and manipulate.

Or maybe it's just me having played way too much of it.
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 02:53:54 AM »

I thought they added Pocket Chocobo to this.

In theory, PC version of FFVIII should be more moddable than the PSX version so... No, honestly, I've tried FFVIII fanpatches, the game still falls apart on disc 2.

I tried so hard to get the fan patches to work for VII.... epic fail. I would have been out of midgar by the time I figured out how to finally do it. And all I really wanted to do was swap the cloud and sephy character models dammit!!

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 06:10:51 AM »

Friend of mine claims he picked this up and beat it at lvl 13 by mostly ignoring random encounters. Its been a while, but I don't remember it being that easy.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 06:31:11 AM »

Friend of mine claims he picked this up and beat it at lvl 13 by mostly ignoring random encounters. Its been a while, but I don't remember it being that easy.

Totes doable if you Card random encounters till you get Diabalo and unlock his Enc-None support ability. Then you just need to Card high AP guys for the rest of the Refine Skills.

The big things to remember are that enemies levels and stats scale to your level, that junctioning better spells to your stats are what make your stats get big, that levels do not make your stats get big, that certain easy-to-get items can be refined into better spells, and that refining cards will get you all the other items you'll need for big power.

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 06:46:08 AM »

Totes doable if you Card random encounters till you get Diabalo and unlock his Enc-None support ability. Then you just need to Card high AP guys for the rest of the Refine Skills.

The big things to remember are that enemies levels and stats scale to your level, that junctioning better spells to your stats are what make your stats get big, that levels do not make your stats get big, that certain easy-to-get items can be refined into better spells, and that refining cards will get you all the other items you'll need for big power.

Yep, that's more or less how he described it. Was it always like this or did they do some tinkering for the steam re-release?

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 07:32:03 AM »

Yep, that's more or less how he described it. Was it always like this or did they do some tinkering for the steam re-release?

It was always like this. The game is probably the most breakable FF game in the series, and the one that punishes you the hardest for playing it the way the game intends you to play it.

Basically, GFs are only good in battle early on when you don't have the tools to break the game over your knee. Once you start collecting Fish Fins on the beach near Balmb Garden, you can convert them into mid-tier Water spells as soon as you unlock the Ice Mag Ref GF ability (learned by Shiva) which you junction to Squall's Str using Ifrit, then later you can start buying Tents and use Life Mag Ref (learned by Siren) and make shitloads of Curaga spells which you then junction to Squall's HP, get him into critical health, then spam his Limit Break for the rest of the game (and FYI, all of this and Diabalos can be acquired within the first half of the first disk, easily). For best results, do roughly similar things to Zell and get Quistis to learn Degenerator, upgrade spells as necessary, and don't forget to pump up somebody's Mag so that they can maximize their Draw capability, break to your liking and enjoy.

One thing to note is that you will have to play the card game quite a bit to get some of the items you'll need for better equipment and spells, and some of the best items come from Refining your one of a kind cards, so you'll have to keep an eye on the card game rules.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: