Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 05:26:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341195 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  PS3/4/Vita SRPG Natural Doctrine
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: PS3/4/Vita SRPG Natural Doctrine  (Read 2186 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 11:44:07 PM »

Just watched the trailer.

Dug the art style and the music.

I can't even remember the last real SRPG that came out in the West. Tactics Ogre maybe?

This looks good. It seems like NISA is trying to branch out a bit, which is great news.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 05:11:29 AM »

I can't even remember the last real SRPG that came out in the West. Tactics Ogre maybe?

Not even close. There's XCOM, FE:Awakening, and hell, even Pokemon Conquest if you're just referring to isometric style SRPGs ala FFT/TO/etc.

That said: http://gematsu.com/2014/04/natural-doctrine-game-guide-walkthrough-part-two

New trailer. Shows some of the online/character mechanics the game's sporting. Looks like you can adjust your skills without having to worry about misspending skill points which is good to know. Also looks like there's only going to be 10 playable characters in story mode (at least the online modo will help add some variety).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 07:06:25 AM »

I really like the trailer. It still did not make me understand how it should work but if I am to guess, I'd say it should be something like Valkyria Chronicles which is always a good thing!

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 09:04:09 AM »

I really like the trailer. It still did not make me understand how it should work but if I am to guess, I'd say it should be something like Valkyria Chronicles which is always a good thing!

Yeah. The one thing is that instead of a grid based movement, it seems to be going with a controlled field type movement with the field divvied up into sections which you can freely move around in.

Some things I was able to figure out via the video:

- The Status screen basically reads as Level, (?HP||Exp?), (?HP||MP?), Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Agility, (?Intelligence||Wisdom||Luck?), (?Wisdom||Intelligence||Luck?), (?Luck||Intelligence||Wisdom?), Melee Attack Power/Range Attack Power, 4x Elemental Defenses, Status Effect Rates.

- Skills seem to be broken down into either combat actions or stat increases (extra Strength or Agility). It seems like you cannot defend or use items without the proper skill.

- Also while it seems like skills are based upon role sets (with up to 9 levels in each), activated skills are universal to the character as far as I can tell (having skills activated in the Defensive line doesn't necessary mean you can only gain their benefit while equipped with a Shield).

- It also looks like the limiting factors will be how many lines a person gets and when they get them, and maybe their particular layout will be different than another's.

- Weapons come in different levels (i.e. Short Sword, Short Sword +1, Short Sword +2, etc.) as well as in different flavors.

- Characters can equip different weapon types (anywhere from your basic Sword and Shield to giant fuck off Cannons).

- Your characters seem to be generally limited to a weapon/shield in either/both hands and two accessories (the Golem could be an exception).

- And the Kite Diagram thingy is pretty much there to make sure you don't have someone or something accidentally blocking your characters' line of sight, especially if you're lining your team up to dogpile an enemy.

CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2014, 03:50:09 AM »

Normally I don't find SRPGs appealing.  I think it is the grid based ones I don't care for since I love Growlanser.  I even liked AtL:TotS (excluding the awful final boss fight).  Gameplay suggests ND could be up my alley, though I heard it is a difficult game.  Still need to check VC and FE out.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 04:01:52 PM »

Ouch, this game flopped hard in Japan.  Out of the PS3, PS4, and Vita versions the Vita was the only one to even list in the top-20, with a meager 6000 copies sold.  In its opening week.  There's just no way to put a positive spin on this.  I haven't seen a game flop this badly in a while.

Which is a shame because it's actually supposed to be a pretty decent SRPG.

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 09:09:43 PM »

Ouch, this game flopped hard in Japan.  Out of the PS3, PS4, and Vita versions the Vita was the only one to even list in the top-20, with a meager 6000 copies sold.  In its opening week.  There's just no way to put a positive spin on this.  I haven't seen a game flop this badly in a while.

Which is a shame because it's actually supposed to be a pretty decent SRPG.

That's a shame. It looks very promising, but with sales like that right out of the gate I wonder how likely it is that we'll see it localized.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »

The localization was already announced.  Plus there's a pretty good chance it will do better here (well, especially with sales like that) so I doubt they're going to cancel it...

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 09:59:51 PM »

If I had to get all arm-chair economist on this game and guess the reasons for why this game did so poorly in Japan, I'd say:

- Really poor timing due to the most recent tax rate hike inflating costs.
- And I mean REALLY poor timing since people who might have picked this up, tapped themselves out for the near future trying to get the most out of the previous tax rate before the hike.
- The fact that it was released for so many platforms has probably divided the fanbase and thus causing total sales per console to be divided too heavily.
- That it was targeting a niche audience to begin with.
- That the developer isn't a company usually associated with SRPGs, which might lead to several potential customers wanting to 'wait and see'.
- Not enough Moe Pedo Bait Waifu Wars CCG.

Either way, hopefully it'll be a self contained story because there's now a zero percent chance of this ever getting a sequel.

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 02:13:26 AM »

If I had to get all arm-chair economist on this game and guess the reasons for why this game did so poorly in Japan, I'd say:

- Really poor timing due to the most recent tax rate hike inflating costs.
- And I mean REALLY poor timing since people who might have picked this up, tapped themselves out for the near future trying to get the most out of the previous tax rate before the hike.
- The fact that it was released for so many platforms has probably divided the fanbase and thus causing total sales per console to be divided too heavily.
- That it was targeting a niche audience to begin with.
- That the developer isn't a company usually associated with SRPGs, which might lead to several potential customers wanting to 'wait and see'.
- Not enough Moe Pedo Bait Waifu Wars CCG.

Either way, hopefully it'll be a self contained story because there's now a zero percent chance of this ever getting a sequel.

It could still get a sequel, if the localized version does well, seeing as Kadokawa makes some money back from licensing fees, not to mention the Zero Escape games have flopped so far in Japan, although they likely have lower budgets than this.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2014, 02:48:10 AM »

http://gematsu.com/2014/06/natural-doctrine-release-date-set

Provided everything goes well (and this is NISA we're talking about here, they'll pretty much ship regardless of the quality), NA will be seeing it on 9/16 and EU will get it on 9/19.

Edit: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/06/natural-doctrine-levels-new-challenges-ps4/

Also the game is getting patched with hints, tutorials, and an easy mode, for those who thought it was too hard.

Double Edit: http://gematsu.com/2014/07/natural-doctrine-second-english-trailer

And now a trailer in English. Can't say that I'm too terribly thrilled with some of the VA choices but at least its comprehensible now.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 09:41:17 PM by Aeolus » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: