Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 09:25:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340903 Posts in 13932 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Shin Megami Tensei iOS funtimes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Shin Megami Tensei iOS funtimes  (Read 2179 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2014, 02:47:23 PM »

Who bought it? Who's enjoying it?

I love how, despite the very rudimentary graphics and first-person-ness of a game first on Super Famicom, how deep this game was from day one. It just feels SO right.

I recently finished marathon-watching all 8 seasons of Dexter, so I decided to Dexter-theme my SMT1 playthrough. My main character is obviously DEXTER. My "servant of the Lord" character is TRAVIS. The one stuck under the demon is BRYAN. And the girl next door is DEBORAH. That's all the further I've gotten in dreamland character-naming ... I'm exploring every inch of ground before I continue so I become hyper-aware of my local surroundings.

I'm playing on a 4th gen iPod Touch. So far it hasn't drained my batteries nearly as quickly as games like Plants vs Zombies 2 or Wind-up Knight. So I'm happy about that. As long as I'm playing in wide mode (so you can actually see the game) it works fine, and the virtual control pad hasn't been a problem for me thus far.

How are y'all feeling about it? Any recommendations on who or what I name my other characters? :)

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 07:21:17 PM »

Save a lot and don't get attached to anything.

Also demon convos felt sort of unpredictable which is probably the biggest thing about SMT1 that bugged me.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 07:34:29 PM »

Also demon convos felt sort of unpredictable

Kind of like some of your posts, Mesh (I mean that in a good way, some of your posts are pretty wild and entertaining).

I remember going a bit nuts with Persona 2 for unpredictable conversations.  I couldn't make demons happy no matter what.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 07:46:43 PM »

I played and reviewed the SNES import and am playing this version for the site. 

I can easily say that I love the interface.  On my iPad, I prefer the vertical interface (pseudo Game Boy) over the horizontal interface (with the transparent buttons; they just get in the way).  I wish ToP iOS had an interface more like this one. 

I named my main YUUYA (because I name all my SMT protagonists, or any Japanese boy, Yuuya after Yuuya Narumi.  Yuuya Narumi was the name if P1's protagonist in the drama CD, though he was Naoya Toumou in the manga.  The latter is more accepted, so I go with the former.)  Law Hero is JON LAW, Chaos Hero is TY CHAOS, and the heroine is SAYORI (because that's my favorite Japanese girl's name.)

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 08:39:37 PM »

I'll definitely get this by the month's end so I can get the Atlus-advertised discount.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 09:50:38 PM »

I would absolutely buy this if it were on a system with buttons. Hopefully they port it at some point as a downloadable title on 3DS or Vita. EEE

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 10:08:32 PM »

eShop SMT1...

Already own a copy of the SNES version but sure I'd get that.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 04:04:23 AM »

Meh, it's one of the only kinds of games I'd be (relatively) comfortable playing on mobile anyway, at least with virtual buttons. It would however be amazing if they could apply that translation to a GBA VC release, the game basically seems like an upgraded GBA emulation so I guess it depends on whether it's really using a ROM or if it's been rebuilt and just seems like the GBA version mostly.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 02:45:02 PM »

I bought it last night and played it for about 20 minutes this morning when I couldn't fall back asleep. It felt so good hearing the original version of "Arcade Street" whilst in-game. Can't believe I'm finally playing this game. I know there was the translated SNES version by Aeon Genesis, but I could never feel comfortable playing it. Lots of the translation felt strange and item names were cut off due to character limitations.

I hope SMT 2 gets a similar treatment down the road.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 05:49:32 PM »

One big issue is that save points are scarce.  That's fine for a home console, but for mobile formats, inconvenient saving is a tough sell.  

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 06:54:02 PM »

One big issue is that save points are scarce.  That's fine for a home console, but for mobile formats, inconvenient saving is a tough sell.  

There's a "Continue" feature ... if you die and choose "Continue" from the main menu it leaves off from ... I think? ... the last battle you successfully completed.

And with 3 save slots on top of that, that's a fair bit of flexibility in terms of what "state" you want to be in. Heck, you could set up a mid-game point to get all 3 endings (law, neutral, chaos).

Speaking of which, what do you all think you'll shoot for? I'm probably going to do Neutral, at least for the first completion.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 07:09:38 PM »

I almost always go for Law first, then move on to Chaos. Neutral I save for last because it's usually the most difficult.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 11:46:24 PM »

Chaos.  I did neutral in the import and it was awful.  My hands got super bloody, I found myself in opposition with both factions and it was a lonely place to be.  I quote this from my import review.  http://rpgfan.com/reviews/smt/index.html

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 01:14:03 PM »

Chaos.  I did neutral in the import and it was awful.  My hands got super bloody, I found myself in opposition with both factions and it was a lonely place to be.  I quote this from my import review.  http://rpgfan.com/reviews/smt/index.html

Oh yes, I remember this.

I'm definitely doing Neutral first. :P

Also, SPOILERS

Code:
Thor drops an ATOMIC BOMB hammer on me! What a douche!

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 10:28:49 PM »

I feel like the game doesn't want me to recruit demons. I'm in the first mini dungeon and I start every battle by talking to the demons and I can't win any over! Not even a Pixie! That's pathetic. Even when I get to the point it says "ask to become ally" they laugh and then attack me.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: