Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 06:31:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327985 Posts in 13431 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Shin Megami Tensei iOS funtimes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Shin Megami Tensei iOS funtimes  (Read 1391 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 10:46:56 PM »

Wait CAN you recruit demons at that point? Did you meet Steven Hawking yet?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 11:37:40 PM »

Wait CAN you recruit demons at that point? Did you meet Steven Hawking yet?

That's what I was wondering. I mean, I have the option to, but maybe it just doesn't work yet? I did meet him, though.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 01:20:33 PM »

I'm sort of disappointed you can only play this on an iPhone instead of an iPad as well, but it's not action-based like the other iOS RPGs I've played (Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy IV), so hopefully it won't be too problematic.

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 01:33:17 PM »

Zuh?  I'm playing it on my iPad. 

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 02:31:06 PM »

I feel like the game doesn't want me to recruit demons. I'm in the first mini dungeon and I start every battle by talking to the demons and I can't win any over! Not even a Pixie! That's pathetic. Even when I get to the point it says "ask to become ally" they laugh and then attack me.

Recruitment is harder here than in, say, the Persona games, because you don't have that four-point graph letting you know what direction you're leading them in.

For now, ask for money and magnetite. Save up! :)

King_Tetiro
Grandpa Pixel

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2014, 03:52:07 PM »

Has there been any word on an Android porting?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2014, 04:44:54 PM »

Yeah, that's what I'd been hearing, though it's not a native app so it won't be pretty. But then we're talking about a moderately updated 1992 game anyway that wasn't exactly a graphical showpiece for the SNES, though even then I'd like relatively sharp graphics rather than something really blurry due to their upscaler.

And you can't blow off Int when it comes to conversations apparently, that tends to help a lot it sounds like.
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2014, 05:56:37 PM »

How do I get it on my iPad? It downloaded to my iPhone but not my iPad, and I've tried Googling information and nothing helps.

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2014, 06:10:12 PM »

I don't have an iPhone, just an iPad, and it downloaded to it no problem.  So far, I've not had any problems downloading SD/iPhone app games to my 'pad.

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2014, 06:15:26 PM »

Never mind, figured it out.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 07:34:34 PM »

I think I'm pretty far in now ... most recently I...

Code:
Went to Chaos HQ and refused to help them destroy the Basilica, I broke out of jail with Bryan's help and killed Yama.

This temporarily puts me squarely in "Law" path, though intend to lock into Neutral before it's all over. <3

I've been having a heck of a time with money. Almost every encounter I do right now, I go into conversation and ask for money, and they're giving me ~2500 maca each time. But the new guns I want are 50k apiece. Dag! That's a lot of conversational haggling.

That bit of grinding aside, I am loving the crap out of this game. :)

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2014, 09:40:34 PM »

My favorite thing about the older SMTs is the way that your options are always a little more limited. In Soul Hackers you can't afford to haul around a huge party of summoned demons all the time, SMT1 and 2 have stricter alignment requirements and conversations are generally harder, and I think in SMT1 you also had the Macca cost for summoning demons (But not maintenance..?) -- stuff like that. In Persona 3 and SJ I never felt like I didn't have a party that could deal with everything. In SMT1, I felt like I DIDN'T have that luxury, and a lot of times I had to deal with situations using whatever I had. And that was interesting.

By the by, with regards to SMT1, is it just me or is NPC placement a lot more reasonable than in Strange Journey? Like, I know you can't see the NPCs on the map, but it followed the PC dungeon crawl convention of either sticking them at obvious locations, like tables, or in chokepoints. In SJ they could be in the middle of a huge empty room and you'd never see them without stepping on everything. And this got annoying with some of the sidequests.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 10:50:50 PM »

This should have been on 3DS.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 12:19:14 PM »

I never realized how many remixes SMT IV had from SMT 1 having never played SMT 1 before. The opening theme, the terminal music, arcade st...I'm sure there are bound to be more that pop up.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 08:34:31 PM »

Well, I cleared the game on Neutral today. And then I went into that "A-DDS Mode" thing, which is basically a bonus features menu. The "visionary items" unlock special dialogue sequences not found in the game. Some of them were really helpful to understanding the overall story arc, and others were just nice to have (I had two just for Alice and her uncles). I'm sure I'm missing a few.

I also did the Beelzebub side quest fight, which was painfully and surprisingly easy. I was hoping that would actually be a challenge, but I found

Code:
Michael

to be much harder. Mostly because the latter had 10k HP. Total endurance match.

This was a great experience for me. I might pull from my save file before things lock in and go for a law ending just for the fun of it. But even if I don't, I'm just really pleased with the game and I'm glad it exists in English officially. :)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: