Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 01:29:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327471 Posts in 13409 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  MMO economy and RMT question.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: MMO economy and RMT question.  (Read 2965 times)
BebopZero

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2006, 03:28:53 PM »

I've been playing MMO games for a long time, dating back to EQ1, but there is one thing I never trully got the grasp of: how an economy of a MMO functions. What decides the causes in inflation in these games? One of the reasons why I never really understood how it works is because of my lack of knoledge towards how a real economy works. Call me un-informed, but it's something I never went out of my way to find out about. So, can anyone help me out here? I would love for someone to outline, in a brief or detailed manner(I'd prefer as detailed as possible), how all this works? Why are there need for "money sinks", or ways to get rid of game currency? Also, how do game currency sellers have an effect in the economy? They are always blammed for raising prices, but how? Thanks for any and all helpful responses.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 04:00:01 PM »

I'm not some great market analyist, but here goes:

As far as gold sellers go, they drive up the prices by introducing large sums of gold into the marketplace, thereby increasing the amount of money being circulated, thereby devaluing your gold.  The more money there is floating around, the more things cost.  It's the same reason you pay a buck for a can of Coke these days instead of a nickel:  people are getting paid more than they were 50 years ago, so there's a greater total of money being exchanged.

Chimpbot

ChimpbotD piccolo141@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 11:48:24 PM »

Quote from: "BebopZero"
Why are there need for "money sinks", or ways to get rid of game currency?

You sort of answered your own question; money sinks exist purely to remove currency from the game's economies.

As players progress in the game, they'll always end up earning decently large sums of money. With this increased amount of currency floating around, price inflation will occur. Tp help augment this, developers place big, desireable and expensive items in the game; this causes people to dump off large sums of money, permanently removing it from that server.

For example; in WoW, when you buy your first mount at level 40 for $100 gold, that $100 is technically no longer on the server or accessible by anyone. The same goes for the $1000 you'd spend on your epic mount.

To summarize; money sinks help curb inflation.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 12:07:15 AM »

In addition, things like repair function as gold sinks.  As you get higher in level, your repairs get more expensive.  As you move from uncommon items to rare items to epic items, your repairs get more and more expensive, as well.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Gearhead

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 12:36:10 AM »

The process of RMT also leads to a positive reinforcement loop, by cranking the cost of items in the auction house up farmers drain more money from the economy into the coffers of RMT sellers, concentrating the gold into illegitmate sources.

Most people farm more to generate cash.

Others buy the gold hoovered up by the farmers.

To buy items on the auciton house that have been marked up to stupid levels.

The result is rampant inflation, as has been evidenced most obviously by FF11's runaway economy, which was basically being fuelled by the need to cover 'essential' equipment which was being camped by farmers working in shifts.

In WoW, it used to be that you would see high level items on the AH for large sums of money, but these days the highest levels of inflation are in the mid and upper 20s, where the 'twink league' PvP circuit is.  Items aren't going for 1000g, but they're going for easily a hundred percent markup over what they should be going for.

- Kickin it old school? ... Or something...
BebopZero

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 10:33:00 AM »

Ahhhh, I understand. RMTs ruin the game for because they introduce large sums of game currency into a game's economy, driving up prices since people can afford more. This makes it harder for players who do NOT buy in game currency to afford things since they never really get that large of a sum in so quick ammount of time correct? What can game companies to fix really bad economy, like the one in FFXI or L2? WoW's seems to be fine since I never really had a hard time affording things, so what is it that Blizzard did that other developers like SOE, NCsoft and Square-Enix didn't to keep an economy under control?
Gearhead

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 01:16:47 PM »

Well, for one thing, Blizzard was a lot more proactive in hunting down people using automated farming scripting.  WoW includes a Punkbuster variant that calls home when people start using cheats.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 05:05:52 PM »

Quote from: "Gearhead"
n WoW, it used to be that you would see high level items on the AH for large sums of money, but these days the highest levels of inflation are in the mid and upper 20s, where the 'twink league' PvP circuit is.  Items aren't going for 1000g, but they're going for easily a hundred percent markup over what they should be going for.

Heh.  On that note, I've seen a Furor's go for 80g at the height of the gold market boom.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Gearhead

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 08:59:25 PM »

Well, that was mostly because the farmers were rampaging through DM and the market was glutted.  And, depending on the server, Alliance wasn't doing so hot on Onyxia.

When they closed a lot of the loops farmers were using, the supply of Foror's Manuals dried up.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: