Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 12:19:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318890 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  FFXI: Worth the money?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: FFXI: Worth the money?  (Read 9328 times)
Ventrue

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2006, 07:05:23 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
While I mentioned PSU, I agree that it's not an MMO. However, both PSU and MMOs will compete for your money, and your time. You can probably juggle it with an MMO, but the combo would surely eat a large chunk of time.
Oh, I agree with you, just saying the experience is different if he is looking for a MMO ^^;
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2006, 01:05:31 PM »

Quote from: "Ventrue"
PS: Rico, Rabbits are indeed pathetic, but what about Boars? Every game has its fair share of retarded monsters on low and high levels. That is a stupid reason to dislike a game

I think you misunderstand.  I wasn't complaining about having to fight sissy wildlife to level up, I was complaining about the relative power of that wildlife to the player.  There's something psychologically a lot less fun about dying helplessly to a rabbit or scarab beetle than dying to an Orc wearing armor and carrying an axe (and yes, I know that Orcs of the same level are considerably stronger than bunnies), especially in the early levels where, if you're a melee class, you can't do a thing but autoattack.
CarpeNoctumXIII
Banninated

CarpeNoctumXIII
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2006, 04:00:43 AM »

Where to begin...

FFXI is NOT more in depth then WoW. All the stuff that takes "timing" is not any harder then any of the timing skills in WoW. People still need to control hate just like in FFXI, and a tank actually needs crowd control skills in WoW. In FFXI, a "crowd" means your party is about to die since you can only fight one mob at a time. Also, there is zero chance to solo beyond levels 10-12, and trying to do anything by yourself is suicide. you NEED a party to get anything done in FFXI. Quests in FFXI are either mandatory, or useless. You will never go out just to quest. You quest when you have to get some of the higher end gear and reach other places, that's it. FFXI does featuire a great mission system with some nice story-lines though.

Oh, and back on the battle system subject, FFXI also lacks any sense of customization. Even when you start the game, you have a very limited ammount of options in choosing how you look(WoW isn't all that great, but it is much better in this regard...), so you will indeed see a LOT of clones running around. And it's not just cosmetic. You also have no choices in how your character grows. My level 60 Dark Knight will be the same exact thing as yours. Later on, you get to power up certain aspects of your character with the merit system, but that hardly changes how you play. WoW has a talents, so there can be multiple types of builds for all character classes, and allows room for you  to be creative. The sub-job system in FFXI would've allowed for some creative combonations, but the community in FFXI is so shitty and up-tight that if you even dare try a combo that is not tested and approved, you will get flammed and will not get a party.

Other things to note are the interface in FFXI, which sucks ass. Every MMO I've played has a better one. Also, PvP in FFXI is worthless. If you fight a Monk, or anyone with a Ninja sub-job, you will die. And PvP is also like an event, which means you can't just participate when you want to, as there are schedules you must follow, or you need to get a group large enough to create a custom game(which still needs a date). I'll stop my rant here, but to cut the shit short, FFXI was great 4 or something years ago when I started. Now, it's an out-dated title that is only worth playing if you've been with it for a while, and have a good link-shell and a group of friends. WoW will introduce you to a much user-friendly game at the start, and will not require you to sell your soul to get anything done.

PS: To be honest, at this point, where I've played many, many, many MMOs, I'd say avoid them entirely and go for more focused online RPGs like Guild Wars and the soon to be released PSU. But that's my opinion.

--Oh, please. Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your Church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead God. ...Or perhaps you, too, are a sheep, Samantha. A poor little lamb, bleating for your faith as though it were milk of the poppy. Yet mark your savior well, for he is one of the demons you so fear, Samantha--
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2006, 11:50:18 AM »

Knows what he is talking about.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2006, 09:09:27 PM »

You obvisouly haven;t played the game in a few years I'm just gonna rebut but not on confrontational manner.
In FFXI, a "crowd" means your party is about to die since you can only fight one mob at a time.

True you can only fight one mob at a time, but a crowd does not mean death, it's very common now in certain zones to pull 3-5 mobs at a time to chain them super quick.

Also, there is zero chance to solo beyond levels 10-12, and trying to do anything by yourself is suicide. you NEED a party to get anything done in FFXI.

Funny how I always see black/red/blue mages, summoners, ninjas, dragoons, and beastmasters soloing all over the place.  Also lets not forget all the people in the new areas soloing for ok exp while looking for a party.  Also funny how I and many others solo their AFs, JSE, and various quests and missions thought not to be solo.  

Quests in FFXI are either mandatory, or useless. You will never go out just to quest. You quest when you have to get some of the higher end gear and reach other places, that's it.

That has been fixed a tiny bit but yeah quests are mostly useless, but fun.  

FFXI also lacks any sense of customization. Even when you start the game, you have a very limited ammount of options in choosing how you look(WoW isn't all that great, but it is much better in this regard...), so you will indeed see a LOT of clones running around.

That too I agree with but keep in mind this game is a console game bound by the limited amount of ram on the PS2(yes i know its PC and 360 also but you know the game has to accomodate the lowest possible system).

And it's not just cosmetic. You also have no choices in how your character grows. My level 60 Dark Knight will be the same exact thing as yours. Later on, you get to power up certain aspects of your character with the merit system, but that hardly changes how you play. WoW has a talents, so there can be multiple types of builds for all character classes, and allows room for you to be creative. The sub-job system in FFXI would've allowed for some creative combonations, but the community in FFXI is so shitty and up-tight that if you even dare try a combo that is not tested and approved, you will get flammed and will not get a party.

Once again you show you haven't played in ages, the merit system added new abilities which add to job customization, also there's a lot of subjob choices for many jobs, and for others not much.  Take Dark Knight for example, Warrior, Thief, and Samurai are all acceptable with different methods of play, hell even some sub Ninja and dual wield axes.  Some Ninjas sub Black Mage to spam nukes. I myself sometimes get flak when I sub Ranger for my Corsair, but i prove them wrong when they see me in action.  Usually a party which doesn't know or welcome these new ideas is just a waste of time.  Explain why you're doing it, if they don't wanna try it, they're not worth your time.

Other things to note are the interface in FFXI, which sucks ass. Every MMO I've played has a better one. Also, PvP in FFXI is worthless. If you fight a Monk, or anyone with a Ninja sub-job, you will die. And PvP is also like an event, which means you can't just participate when you want to, as there are schedules you must follow, or you need to get a group large enough to create a custom game(which still needs a date). I'll stop my rant here, but to cut the shit short, FFXI was great 4 or something years ago when I started. Now, it's an out-dated title that is only worth playing if you've been with it for a while, and have a good link-shell and a group of friends. WoW will introduce you to a much user-friendly game at the start, and will not require you to sell your soul to get anything done.

FFXI's UI is ass and WoWs is brilliant, I agree there, and PvP is way better, but frankly when I play MMOs I have no desire to compete with others, that's what FPS are for :).  I'm not bashing wow , wow is a great game but it gets old very quickly, who knows Blizzard might fix that we'll see.  and also I did not sell my soul to play FFXI, I have a full time job, a 2 hour commute, a social life(big thing for someone as anti social as me IRL), go through a fantasy novel every month, improving my programming and culinary skills, and play single player games, yet I have two(almost 3) jobs at lvl 75, several nice pieces of endgame gear, finished most of the missions etc. etc. etc.   I agree my life is not 100% fufulling, but I'd hardly think I have no life.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2006, 09:21:49 PM »

Quote from: "Logick"
FFXI also lacks any sense of customization. Even when you start the game, you have a very limited ammount of options in choosing how you look(WoW isn't all that great, but it is much better in this regard...), so you will indeed see a LOT of clones running around.

That too I agree with but keep in mind this game is a console game bound by the limited amount of ram on the PS2(yes i know its PC and 360 also but you know the game has to accomodate the lowest possible system).

It's worth noting that PSU is on all three of those systems, has no HDD on the PS2, yet has much deeper character customization. I suppose you can cite the larger areas in FFXI compared to PSU's smaller, divided up cities, as well as the fact you only play with 6 at a time through a dungeon, but I think that if PSU could do all that it did, FFXI could at least have skin/hair color options.
CarpeNoctumXIII
Banninated

CarpeNoctumXIII
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2006, 01:20:53 AM »

Logick, you are right, I haven't played the game in a bit, but that does not disprove some of my points. Sure, there is some soloing to be done, but it's far to unconvetional do so since exp comes by very slow and not every class can do it. And about the sub-job, I know that each job can have multiple subs, like a DRK can indeed have all of those, but what I meant is that there is no room to be creative. If you try something that is NOT within the suggested subs, you will indeed have a harder time getting a party. And it still pales in comparison to what WoW has to offer with it's talent system. Also, about the selling your soul comment, that was an exageration, I just meant it takes far too much time to get anything done in the game, sorry for the misunderstanding. Anyways, to answer the original poster's question, the game is not worth the money this late in the game's life cycle, plain and simple. There are just far too many games that do almost everything better then FFXI does. Only thing FFXI has on everyone else is art design, which is still my favorite after all these years.

--Oh, please. Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your Church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead God. ...Or perhaps you, too, are a sheep, Samantha. A poor little lamb, bleating for your faith as though it were milk of the poppy. Yet mark your savior well, for he is one of the demons you so fear, Samantha--
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2006, 05:13:01 AM »

Quote from: "CarpeNoctumXIII"
If you try something that is NOT within the suggested subs, you will indeed have a harder time getting a party. And it still pales in comparison to what WoW has to offer with it's talent system.

Not that different from WoW with regards to partying.  While it's getting a little better as the game's rebalanced, there can be a lot of group elitism on specs, especially healers.  And once you see the difference in DPS between a PvE-specced DPS class and a PvP-specced one (Rogues in particular, though Warlocks are just downright useless without a good spec), it's hard to put up with less.  The farther you get into content, with the introduction of DPS race fights, at least two Prot. tanks and properly-specced DPS become a lot more mandatory.
Viarca

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2006, 10:43:37 AM »

I would personally recommend staying away from FFXI.  As others have mentioned, it requires huge investments of time to even get to most of the newer content and most of the players have been around quite some time and have accumulated a lot.  These days it seems like most people in my LS are concerned with maintaining their "elite" status, which is fine and all, but now that most have everything they want, the idea is to prevent others from getting it too.  Judging other players based on how much time/money they have to invest in the game just doesn't sit well with me.  The economy is also a mess because of real money trading.  These days I just stop in after an update to do the new missions and assaults for the latest expansion, because there's really nothing else to do (I've completed Zilart and CoP, and after a while HNMs, Sky and Dynamis get really old).

Last night most of the LS was doing runs to finish off the newl missions.  There were 8 of us who needed the Execution Chamber BC fight, and knowing parties of 4 would be fine, we just split up into two groups.  Tons of people were shouting for invites for this, but everyone seemed adamantly opposed to inviting them to fill the open slots.  It just seemed mean-spirited.

There are several people I know who are going to be giving PSU a shot.  The only time I really loved playing FFXI was at the beginning when everyone was new, so I'm hoping I'll enjoy PSU more than I do FFXI these days.
Nutbar

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2006, 11:01:10 AM »

I joined XI back in February, and although there are many aspects of the game that don't sit well with me I still enjoy my time in game.

Needing a Party to gain efficient exp. past a certain level for most jobs is indeed annoying, even more so for some of the later quests such as the af gear or limit break quests, which are personal milestones, yet usually require a group to complete. But I honestly don't see the point in an Online game if there is no real encouragement to play with other people before you hit the high, or maybe even maximum, level that is offered.

Getting parties can be a real pain, thats the problem, as I am playing a melee job on a smaller server (Remora), at an awkward time for many players ( the only time I usually see other people from my linkshell is if I am on after 1 am ). Smaller groups can work, which is a good alternative if people are willing to try it, but the problem is that most players are unwilling to try groups with less than 6 members unless they are forced to, which is a shame.

I would agree that many quests are not that helpful. There are few that give unique items and are worth the time, and then there are others that really should be done, but are overlooked. I know very few people who actually complete the quests to attain maps for new areas even though most of them are not exactly difficult. It honestly wouldn't surpirse me if some players didn't do a quest until they were able to get their first piece of AF gear

My friends and I played as a static party from level 10-53 with our main jobs and had alot of fun doing it. All in all we probably partied for 2/3 hours a week at most, but it didn't stop us from getting quite far into the game. Sure, most of us did other things in the meantime so we spent more time in game each week, but it hardly intruded on our social lives.

I register that Final Fantasy XI is probably showing its age now in comparison to other online games but my experience of the game has been for the most part enjoyable, partly because I have been able to play closely with friends, but also because the game is still quite fun, and gives me alot of enjoyment for what I pay.

If you can find some friends to through with you, or better yet who already play, then I would say that FFXI is not a bad way to spend some time.
BebopZero

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2006, 11:14:23 PM »

So, I just recently beat FFXII last week, and I got the urge to play FFXI again. The only thing is, as I looked through my stuff to find my instalation discs, a few things hit me, and now I'm usure if it's worth starting up again. I enjoy the game(or did), so most of the complaints from the above posters don't really matter to me. But yeah, with the all the buzz surronding the next-gen systems, the huge ammount of hype for WoW's never ending expansion, WoW having well over 50% of the community, and the fact that FFXI is over 4 years old already, it begs me to question the game's future. I mean, does anyone know if SE plans to keep supporting the game for a while, with new content and expansions? If all they are going to do after the release of ToAU is keep the servers up and add a few things here there, it's not worth it for me.  I know there won't be a sequel, but does anyone know anything about SE's next MMO then? Any bit of info at all? And yes, I am indeed a veteran with both NIN and PLD at 75(and a few other jobs at late 30s, 40s and 50s), and a lot of the end-game stuff done(not all of it however, I never got ToAU). So, from that perspective, is it worth picking this game up again?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: