Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2015, 06:57:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
346912 Posts in 14154 Topics by 2235 Members
Latest Member: chiefjim
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Shining Resonance announced for PlayStation 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Shining Resonance announced for PlayStation 3  (Read 4502 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2015, 10:53:21 PM »

Somebody give me a reason to keep playing this game because I'm about ready to drop it.

The hero is a spineless idiot.

Pretty much everyone in your party is annoying (with the possible exception of Sonia, but she's bland and inoffensive at best).

The villains are cheesy Saturday morning cartoon stereotypes.  They're always spilling their evil plans for no particular reason, overpowering the heroes (in custscenes of course) and then being all like "I could kill you anytime but I won't for...er...reasons...", and then wandering off.

Speaking of the above, why is the game constantly telling me that I'm losing (as the characters) after winning fights (as the player)?  I hate that shit even when it's done sparingly, but this game does it all the friggin time.

There is so much talking about inane shit.  Well, I suppose I should be used to that in modern JRPGs.  I mean, I played through friggin Ar Nosurge in Japanese and they never shut up in that.  But I at least (mostly) liked the characters there and the dialogue was occasionally funny.  This game commits the worst sin: It's just boring.  Everything feels so bland and uninspired.  And for god's sake, they're supposed to be at war.  Why are they stopping every 10 minutes to hang around town and talk about things like how Kirika doesn't like carrots?  Is that really important?

Holy hell does this game have the laziest sidequests you've ever seen.  It's all kill X monster and collect Y items.  But here's the worstbest part: They repeat.  Just wait a little bit and you'll be able to kill X monsters again!  So you don't even get the sense of progression that comes with checking them off...best to just accept everything and not go out of your way to complete them.  Let it happen when it happens.  But why even have quests then...

There is only one exit from the little castle town where you spend all your time (which is kind of messed up when you think about it...), meaning you will trek through the exact same fields every time you go anywhere.  It's really getting old.  Isn't it about time they gave me some sort of fast travel option?

Speaking of which, why aren't there any other towns?  Is this a one-town country?

Combat is OK, but it's not that special and it's not enough to carry this game.  I also don't like only having 4 force skills available at a time with the number you learn...really disincentivizes you from experimenting if you have a couple skills you already like.  Tales games at least usually give you 8 arts at a time.

Grainofariver

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2015, 12:59:37 AM »

I really wish there were a few solid reviews of this game, preferably video reviews. As it stands, I can't even find a decent written review. With my Japanese being at the level of "I can somewhat grasp the occasional discussion", I've been slightly interested in importing a game for fun. When I first heard of this game, several people used it to shame Tales of Zestiria, including a friend who pre-ordered Shining Resonance's CE. Being a massive Tales fan, but not wanting to import a Tales game (I can't imagine playing one unable to understand the character interactions), I was interested: a positive reception could mean for a fun import experience once the price drops. Yet, now that SR has released I have heard nothing except for the occasional post like Cyril's and Kevadu's. Oh, and the friend who imported the CE? Died on the first boss and hasn't touched it since.

If SR ever gets a western release I'll still pick it up just because I've lost my patience for most turn-based JRPGs, which leaves me pretty desolate aside from Tales (I own all 4 Star Oceans, but the combat feels too shallow). As for importing, it's looking to be a pass, but if anyone knows of any solid reviews (in English) I'd be grateful if you would share. Thanks!

Before there was the Game of Thrones, there was Daes Dae'mar
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2015, 01:41:40 AM »

Somebody give me a reason to keep playing this game because I'm about ready to drop it.

The hero is a spineless idiot.

Pretty much everyone in your party is annoying (with the possible exception of Sonia, but she's bland and inoffensive at best).

The villains are cheesy Saturday morning cartoon stereotypes.  They're always spilling their evil plans for no particular reason, overpowering the heroes (in custscenes of course) and then being all like "I could kill you anytime but I won't for...er...reasons...", and then wandering off.

Speaking of the above, why is the game constantly telling me that I'm losing (as the characters) after winning fights (as the player)?  I hate that shit even when it's done sparingly, but this game does it all the friggin time.

There is so much talking about inane shit.  Well, I suppose I should be used to that in modern JRPGs.  I mean, I played through friggin Ar Nosurge in Japanese and they never shut up in that.  But I at least (mostly) liked the characters there and the dialogue was occasionally funny.  This game commits the worst sin: It's just boring.  Everything feels so bland and uninspired.  And for god's sake, they're supposed to be at war.  Why are they stopping every 10 minutes to hang around town and talk about things like how Kirika doesn't like carrots?  Is that really important?

Holy hell does this game have the laziest sidequests you've ever seen.  It's all kill X monster and collect Y items.  But here's the worstbest part: They repeat.  Just wait a little bit and you'll be able to kill X monsters again!  So you don't even get the sense of progression that comes with checking them off...best to just accept everything and not go out of your way to complete them.  Let it happen when it happens.  But why even have quests then...

There is only one exit from the little castle town where you spend all your time (which is kind of messed up when you think about it...), meaning you will trek through the exact same fields every time you go anywhere.  It's really getting old.  Isn't it about time they gave me some sort of fast travel option?

Speaking of which, why aren't there any other towns?  Is this a one-town country?

Combat is OK, but it's not that special and it's not enough to carry this game.  I also don't like only having 4 force skills available at a time with the number you learn...really disincentivizes you from experimenting if you have a couple skills you already like.  Tales games at least usually give you 8 arts at a time.

Its better than Lunar: Dragon Song...?

I've got nothing. It sounds like a total swing and a miss to me.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: