Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 11:25:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334539 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  A Mana series retrospective.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: A Mana series retrospective.  (Read 372 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 11:03:00 PM »

I lucked out and strongarmed my siblings into playing SoM's multi player. It actually works quite well when you're not trying to sabotage each other. In fact that's really where the importance lies in; the game is perfectly playable in both single player and multi player without feeling like you had to have at least a second player. You weren't getting shortchanged on a half-baked multi player mode, you weren't forced to find some friends to do anything in the game and all you needed to get a player on board was an extra controller and a multi-tap device (which were pretty goddamn reasonable back in the day, even if the multi-tap didn't see much use outside of it and Bomberman). There are lots of multi player games nowadays that aren't playable because the AI is too useless and the game's interface is too cumbersome to get around the AI with or everything's in single player and the multi player was just some last minute novelty to add one more bullet point to the back of the box/gaming magazine/online review.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 11:06:43 PM »

Like many other people have stated, Secret of Mana was amazing when I was a kid, but it has aged really poorly. As a standalone game I think Legend is probably the best of the series. It's terribly underexplained though, especially the way the weapons work. I think what made Secret special for me though, is that there was this air of mysticism throughout the game. I don't think I can think of any other games that made me feel like I was adventuring into the unknown the way Secret did. I think a large part of this was the music.

Despite the flaws in the series from the start though, that wasn't the only problem with the later games and I really have no idea what the hell went wrong. Children of Mana was passable on a basic gameplay level but had repetitive grind and nothing particularly interesting in terms of the world or story, and then aside from that the rest ranged from mediocre to utter crap.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 11:45:24 PM »

You'd think a game with such a basic and genius combat would have stayed good, but something got funky along the way....

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Damacon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 02:15:47 AM »

I agree Dice, wish they would of just kept improving the initial design while removing the flaws from the previous works.When it comes down to it there just is not enough rpgs that you can play with friends that are not exact clones of diablo or mmo's anyway. Speaking of that I always wanted  to play the final fantasy crystals for the game cube but could never justify it needing the gameboy for 4 controllers if you wanted to play multi player. It looked like a really really fun game though did anyone here ever play it?
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 03:22:51 AM »

I played the original one and Echoes of Time. The original was a ton of fun, but yeah, you need enough hardware and friends for proper multiplayer. Echoes of Time is slightly more userfriendly. If you have the Wii version, you still need a bunch of DSs and DS version of the game to play with people in the same room, but hey, it's wireless!

They really should have called these games Chronicles of Mana or something...
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 10:13:59 AM »

probably moreso with friends

Not really.

The problem with playing SoM with friends is that nine times out of ten, you're growing up in a crappy suburban neighborhood and your friends are just whoever's around that's your age, and then they end up like robbing your parents.

:\

...yeah, that sounds about right...;_;

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Damacon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 10:16:11 AM »

Gah that is right they had a Wii version to and I tried renting it only to find out I couldn't play multi-player for the same reasons as the one on gamecube. I mean what the hell, who can afford to buy 4 DS just to play a game. Its not like people who don't live by the rpg are dumb enough to buy a DS or any handheld device for that much.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 10:48:22 AM »

I think they were counting on groups of friends who already owned DSs. By the time Echoes of Time was released there were over 125 million DSs out there, so they were not exactly rare. So anyway, group of 2-4 friends, each with their own DS, and the only thing they have to invest in is gamecards. That's not unreasonable.

Unless you use this logic, that is.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 07:36:27 PM »

fwiw, I enjoyed the original FFCC in single player, although the gave you a moogle and fiddled with the mechanics a bit to make it actually work, unlike Phantasy Star Online which was... basically impossible to reasonably solo in.

I was under the impression the later games gave you proper AI companions but the AI there was mixed, whereas the moogle was just a little buddybot that did what you told it.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 07:47:28 PM »

Ring of Fates had a somewhat interesting story and the A.I. companions were...serviceable, if annoying. (Why did they both need annoying verbal tics?) Echoes of Time had much dumber A.I., I guess because they didn't have personalities to inspire the A.I. behavior, and the other two CC games are a town sim and a tower defense game, so it's kind of a moot point for those. Although the adventurers can be really stupid in My Life as a King since they can seriously wander around town all day, every day, buying random equipment and then running out of time to actually visit the dungeons.
Damacon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 11:03:36 PM »

I wish my group of friends had DS's or the gameboy advance but we were all poor kids who had to each buy different systems so we could play the maximum amount of games lol.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: