Author Topic: Dragon Quest Blocko (aka Dragon Quest Builders)  (Read 572 times)

Towns Car Marty

• RPGFan Editor
  • for  play  in  town  &  car
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
Dragon Quest Blocko (aka Dragon Quest Builders)
« on: September 30, 2016, 06:26:07 AM »
Minecraft-style games aren't really my bag, but gotta say, the demo that went up this week is pretty schweet. What's everybody think?

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest Blocko (aka Dragon Quest Builders)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 08:36:50 AM »
As I posted in the Game Journal thread, the game is incredibly addictive, and will definitely be taking precedence over World of FF next month.
My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!

eightbitsamurai

• RPGFan Editor
  • RYUU GA WAGA TEKI WO KURAU
    • View Profile
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 10:04:19 AM »
Most aspects of it feel like Dark Cloud than Minecraft, tbh, besides the actual block parts. Creating things to the specifications of the NPCs and all that.

That being said, the aspects that ARE similar to Minecraft have the helpful polish of a AAA company. Only issue I can foresee at the moment is a potentially unwieldy camera, especially in tight, indoor areas.

Other than that, lots of fun, music was really good...demo went a long way towards pushing it up my "to buy" list.
I understand the Kingdom Hearts lore a little too thoroughly.

Towns Car Marty

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 01:21:41 PM »
You're right on about Dark Cloud. That hadn't occurred to me. There's even a slight Soul Blazer quality to it!

Mickeymac92

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 08:34:26 PM »
Damnit Marty, you sold me. I'm downloading the demo, at least.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 11:50:35 PM »
This game oozes the charm on such a high level I may get it. Nothing but smiles from the demo.

missRPGirl

• Contributing Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 11:10:44 PM »
Gosh I wished the demo worked on the Vita TV. I don't know why they would let you download it if it doesn't let you play it lol. Now I'm going to have to drive two hours to use my bf's PS4 when the game comes out. XD

eightbitsamurai

• RPGFan Editor
  • RYUU GA WAGA TEKI WO KURAU
    • View Profile
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 02:19:56 PM »
Anyone picking this up today? I wanna get it Vita, but it's digital and I just do not have the space for it.
I understand the Kingdom Hearts lore a little too thoroughly.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 11:02:56 PM »
Pre-ordered it digitally. Have a level 3 town in chapter one. Loving everything about it except a few minor quibbles:

- Town size grows way too slowly. Already have citizens asking for more rooms than I feel like I have space for.
- I'm sure at some point the hero learns to jump more than one block high, but it is a major hindrance from the very beginning. Especially since the environment designers put in a lot more cliffs than slopes.
- Wish there was more of a separation between gathering tools and weapons. Hate destroying bits of the environment I didn't want to when I'm just trying to kill a monster.

Oddly enough, the camera--which was the biggest complaint in most of the early reviews I read--doesn't really bother me. And that inventory system once you unlock the coffer is brilliant!
My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!

Towns Car Marty

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 06:54:47 AM »
Finally got my hands on it. Built a modest little bedroom at the base of the Hammerhoods' spire. I love this game!

The Legendary Zoltan

• Narcissistic Legend
    • View Profile
    • The Legendary Zoltan's Official Site
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 12:01:41 AM »
I really enjoyed it. I got the platinum Trophy. I love how it's like Minecraft but it specializes in buildings, so no matter what kind of building you make, it will look good. I could enjoy the super basic Ys/Minecraft/most action RPGs combat system where you just whack dudes. The writing is EXCELLENT. My god! I just wish it was all connected. Each level is it's own separate save file. I wish you could build up the first town and then make a very long and difficult journey to the next town to build that one up and keep what you can bring with you. At the very least, after an area has been restored to the light, I wish they'd let you build bridges to the other islands. I also wish it was actually an RPG. You don't level up but your base does. That sounds fine but leveling up your base doesn't do anything. I would like to see your character increase in stats and abilities as your base levels up. Most of the rooms you make affect your residents more than they affect you. For example, if you build an inn, your residents get +10%HP BUT NOT YOU! All-in-all, it feels really good to build stuff and explore. I'm hopeful for a sequel.

-The Legendary Zoltan
Valkyrie Profile Death Metal Album by the Legendary Zoltan. Coming Soon!

Mickeymac92

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 06:36:06 PM »
Forgot to mention that I enjoyed the demo a lot. Thanks, Marty! Just ordered it on Amazon as part of the Holiday sale. Lookin' forward to it.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Towns Car Marty

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 05:24:49 AM »
Blocko is Boffo! I'm glad everybody seems to be enjoying it as much as I am.