Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 03:43:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340854 Posts in 13928 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Recommend me a farming / homestead sim
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Recommend me a farming / homestead sim  (Read 228 times)
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: November 27, 2014, 12:34:24 AM »

I (obviously) enjoy RPGs, but I have never played a Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, or Rune Factory game.  Ever.  Let alone newer games like Tomodachi Life or Fantasy Life.  The closest I've come is messing around with the first The Sims game well over a decade ago. 

So that's my starting point - almost zero - but I'm definitely curious.  So if you (i.e. people that have actually played a few of these) were to recommend me one game to dive into that genre, what would it be?  It would have to be playable on GBA, DS, 3DS, Wii, PS2, PS3, or PSP.  I don't care about playing games strictly in order if the newer ones are meaningfully better.  Recommend one that's good, and maybe more well-suited to beginners.  Any commentary on potential games for me to try is appreciated. 

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 12:51:37 AM »

I've played the entire Animal Crossing series, and I can definitely tell you that if you want to try it, feel free to jump right into the newest iteration, on 3DS.  It's a bunch better than the previous one. (I can give you details on how if you want, but you can just take my word for it.)

The thing with Animal Crossing is that it runs in real time, which is sometimes good and sometimes not good.  Every day, there's new stock at the shops, new fruit on the trees.  Different times of the day and different months of the year, there are different fish and bugs to be caught.  And in a way, that nature also means that there's a limit to how long you'll want to/be able to play each day, because you will run out of stuff to do other than random fishing for cash.  It's relaxing fun.

The down side is that it can sometimes feel like a chore or an obligation.  There's new stuff at the shop every day, so you may feel like you have to make money and get in there and buy that stuff every day.  You may feel like you need to get every item in the catalog, so you'll feel like you can never take the game out of your 3DS.  (In fact, I'd recommend this one for download rather than retail purchase.)

I tend to play the game the first way, my wife tends to play it the second way.  She must have every new AC that comes out, though, so she clearly enjoys playing it her way, and I enjoy it my way.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 01:00:20 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGGlBjwqL6Y
You could try Shepherd's Crossing.
It's also on PS2 and has a sequel on DS.
And look into Rune Factory, most people seem to like 3, 4, and Frontier the most, but I've only played Frontier.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 01:02:37 AM by insertnamehere » Logged

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 07:44:41 AM »

It would be very hard to go wrong with any Rune Factory or Harvest Moon game. My favorite one that I have played though is Rune Factory 3. It just got everything right. Haven't played 4 yet though, so it could possibly be better.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 09:21:00 AM »

Even though you definitely don't need a intermediary "transitioning" title to enjoy these sorts of games, I will say that Recettear on PC is a fantastic option if you ARE looking for a title that meets halfway between straight-forward RPG and life-management sim.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: