Author Topic: The Atelier Series

Nel_Annette

• View Profile
Re: The Atelier Series
« Reply #195 on: May 04, 2015, 10:54:06 PM »
I'm right there with you buddy. I bought all of the Arland trilogy at once and Rorona Plus was announced a week after I did that. I have the Dusk trilogy too, and the Annie game for DS. Haven't touched a single one, and Annie's been sitting on my shelf unopened for years at this point. My backlog is huge, and other stuff just keeps getting in the way.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 05, 2015, 09:43:27 AM »
I'm right there with you buddy. I bought all of the Arland trilogy at once and Rorona Plus was announced a week after I did that. I have the Dusk trilogy too, and the Annie game for DS. Haven't touched a single one, and Annie's been sitting on my shelf unopened for years at this point. My backlog is huge, and other stuff just keeps getting in the way.
A kindred spirit!

Each new Atelier game has me going "I need to get this!"  And then I remember....

Anyways, the only thing left for us to do is compare sizes.  Of our backlogs.  Mine currently has 132 games in it.  I feel like that's a lot but I have run across some people who have like 5x that, which is difficult for me to imagine.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 05, 2015, 09:49:41 AM »
It's the problem with being into JRPG's and growing up outside the digital age. Every time a new JRPG comes out that I know I'll probably want eventually, a voice in my head tells me to buy it now or it will be gone forever because that's how it was growing up.

So yeah, my backlog is huge especially on the Vita where niche JRPG's end up now. I also have all 6 PS3 Atelier games and have barely touched any of them. Then again, I find the games extremely fun but also extremely stressful with the calendar system and hands-off approach the game takes with the player. I always have a nagging feeling I'm not working on what I should be working on in those games.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 05, 2015, 01:56:53 PM »
I look at any backlog I have like a nice retirement plan.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

timmyFd

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 05, 2015, 02:24:34 PM »
And then more awesome games come out and take their place :-|

I still haven't played Persona 4. Sitting there on the shelf....

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 05, 2015, 03:05:58 PM »
Well, I have to say, it's pretty satisfying knowing I am not alone in this...

Btw, I played just enough Rorona to really appreciate how awesome the blacksmith shop music is and to get really irritated at the name "Esty Dee".  I don't remember much else from it except that I seemed to have fun while I was playing it.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Nel_Annette

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 05, 2015, 03:18:39 PM »
I definitely don't have as many games as you, but it is reaching critical point for me. There's still freaking Gamecube games unopened on my shelf, let alone the Wii/PS3 stuff. I agree with Klutz as well. I grew up in a world where, if you didn't pick up the "niche anime game" around the time of it's release, it was bound to disappear off the shelves forever and wind up on Amazon at a super-inflated price, and I like my physical media (with the occasional extra goodie), so I usually wind up just getting new JRPGs as they're coming out. It's a terrible habit. I just ordered Fairy Fencer F and will probably pick up Omega Quintet next paycheck.

And then there's my job, and school, and my social life. I go through games at a snail pace these days. In my teenage years, I could waste a whole weekend on a game, but in my 20s, I'm lucky to get anywhere past two hours in a day.

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 05, 2015, 04:10:42 PM »
Btw, I played just enough Rorona to really appreciate how awesome the blacksmith shop music is and to get really irritated at the name "Esty Dee".

The name got changed in the localization because someone wanted to make a sex joke. Her real surname is Erhard, if this knowledge makes you feel better.

As for the backlog stuff, I'm fairly well managed myself. Probably because I'm poor and unemployed, but maybe also because I have already noticed a good while ago that the idea of playing through 100 more (J)RPGs doesn't seem as appealing as it once did anymore. Not to say, finding ones that I feel like I can get into synch with is still a great feeling (i.e. this year with Valkyria Chronicles 3 and Child of Light so far), but I most certainly don't find pleasure in doing something like spending my afternoon grinding for levels anymore. Though there is still maybe a bit more I could learn to try&drop in case I notice I'm not really enjoying myself as much as I could doing something else.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 04:12:36 PM by mecharobot »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 05, 2015, 05:00:59 PM »
Btw, I played just enough Rorona to really appreciate how awesome the blacksmith shop music is and to get really irritated at the name "Esty Dee".

The name got changed in the localization because someone wanted to make a sex joke. Her real surname is Erhard, if this knowledge makes you feel better.

As for the backlog stuff, I'm fairly well managed myself. Probably because I'm poor and unemployed, but maybe also because I have already noticed a good while ago that the idea of playing through 100 more (J)RPGs doesn't seem as appealing as it once did anymore. Not to say, finding ones that I feel like I can get into synch with is still a great feeling (i.e. this year with Valkyria Chronicles 3 and Child of Light so far), but I most certainly don't find pleasure in doing something like spending my afternoon grinding for levels anymore. Though there is still maybe a bit more I could learn to try&drop in case I notice I'm not really enjoying myself as much as I could doing something else.
Re: Esty Dee, yes my mind isn't dirty enough (or sharp enough, I guess) for me to have picked up on the obvious sex joke myself.  When I learned about the localization change is when it hit me, and then subsequently I was annoyed greatly from then on.

Re: try&drop, I am learning to take this stance with games as well.  If I have to MAKE myself play it, then I won't play it.  I still sometimes have qualms about dropping a game, but I am training myself to be merciless, even when replaying gaes I REALLY REALLY love.  Example: I picked up Chrono Cross a few years ago, played about 90% of it, put it down, picked it back up, couldn't remember where to go next so dropped it completely.  My heart still yearns to go back to it, but I am telling myself "no".  I have too many other games to go back to one I have finished more than 5 times.
I have even had to drop such stellar titles as Radiant Historia, simply because I couldn't get excited about playing it any longer.  I may yet go back to it, though.

timmyFd

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 10, 2015, 08:43:53 AM »
Lol Esty Dee is great. Reminda of the Toyota MR2, which had trouble in France (take your time)

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #205 on: June 23, 2015, 03:44:55 AM »

Images speak for themselves.  So sad we're sticking with three Dusk games... I'll miss you Hidari!!!
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 23, 2015, 04:41:59 AM »
There's a slag in the background.

Reusing enemies for games that all take place in the same world? Fine. That makes sense. Reusing enemies for a new trilogy? Pathetic.

Workshop screenshot:

The game is looking a little bland and lifeless, but I assume they'll polish it.

Sophie looks nice and has a bit of tomboy scholar thing going on. Must be the coat. I wonder why her skirt is shorter in the game, it has a good length in the artwork.

Darilon

• Level 5 Spoony Bard
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 23, 2015, 10:53:41 AM »
I wonder if time management is still gone. There is a clock but no calendar.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 23, 2015, 02:09:56 PM »
Maybe environments change depending on the time of day? Like, certain monsters can only be found at night, some sort of magical flower can only be gathered at dusk and so on.

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 24, 2015, 07:08:14 PM »
I downloaded Atelier Rorona Plus recently, having played the original version yet getting stuck with a Game Over since I couldn't fulfill a request in time. This time I'll make it a point to keep multiple save files in case that could happen again.
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

Every man is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts.
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan