Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 11:16:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335260 Posts in 13727 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Atelier Series
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: The Atelier Series  (Read 7691 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2014, 11:06:43 PM »

This works as a perfect foil to Escha's downright idiocy and inherent naivety.

I think the last 6 Atelier girls have been some form of this.

Even Totori ?
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2014, 11:39:01 PM »

I wouldn't say Ayesha's naivety was that extreme, either.  After all, the entire theme of the game was her becoming less naive.  Certainly at the start, perhaps, but she becomes pretty jaded by the end, especially by the time of E&L where she goes down Keith's path.

Though Escha's a certain brand of obnoxious.  It was funny, everyone says throughout the game: "you've matured" and there was absolutely no change in personality or actions sans maybe understanding and empathizing with Logy a bit better.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:41:15 PM by Cyril » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2014, 12:41:12 AM »

Even Totori ?

Nah, true.  More soft...and clumsy (I think).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2014, 12:58:17 AM »

Even Totori ?

I honestly wouldn't describe Meruru that way either.  Sure she was kind of spoiled (I mean, she's literally a princess...) and lazy, but that doesn't mean she was stupid.  She was pretty competent when she actually tried.

Now Rorona, on the other hand...

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2014, 01:39:33 AM »

Even Totori ?

I honestly wouldn't describe Meruru that way either.  Sure she was kind of spoiled (I mean, she's literally a princess...) and lazy, but that doesn't mean she was stupid.  She was pretty competent when she actually tried.

Now Rorona, on the other hand...

Certainly suits the "princess' motif she's got going (I can't really comment on Meruru, I played about 5 hours, put it down because of school, then a buddy bought it off me when I needed $$).  Actually, I think she's my favorite design of the three from Arland (ooh, time to make a post in the VG Art Topic). 

I dunno.  I get kinda torn talking about the girls.  They're sweet, they're cute, but often give off girly vibes in usually a bad way (Rorona = Dumb, Totori = Soft, Meruru = Spoiled ...but they're all 'nice' at least).  I'm not really a fan of the characterization in the titles to begin with; but I kinda wish they'd go deeper with characters since the plot doesn't get terribly involving (unique world/settings aside). 
The development is there, but it doesn't feel terribly 'grand'; and the light-heartedness of the situations ensures things keep on a steady pace.  It's nice, and I do like enough to smile or be entertained... But I think what I'm saying is: I just want more from them since I usually end up rooting for support characters more than the main one.
(if it's their, let me know what I should look for... but I haven't seen it, and if I'm waaay off then please blast me for it)

Then again, and with that said, I keep buying these games because they look and sound beautiful and the alchemy/battles are unique and a lot of fun -- even if their characters aren't always the same.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 01:53:20 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2014, 02:29:52 AM »

I think Annie might be more up your alley, Dice, if you're looking for more unique Atelier heroines.  She's intentionally shown as lazy and her entire life's goal is to win the prince's affections so she can live a life of luxury and do nothing but sleep all day.  She's also not particularly "nice."  She's a bit sarcastic and snarky.  Closer to Totori if Totori wasn't as "sweet." She does a lot of appropriate eye-rolling.

She also goes through genuine character development, which isn't particularly prominent in some of the other modern Atelier heroines.

I agree that the non-main and sub-characters are almost always the best characters in the series, though.  Iris 3 might be the only example otherwise.
Edit: And Escha and logy, I suppose.  Logy is just great.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 02:31:35 AM by Cyril » Logged
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2014, 05:20:19 AM »

Good news!

http://gematsu.com/2014/05/atelier-rorona-plus-rated-australia

For those who disliked the structured, early series style of Rorona, supposedly they remade the gameplay in Meruru's style, so it might be more to your liking.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2014, 06:55:24 PM »

It's official now.  Coming out June 24th. PS3 (physical) and Vita (download-only).

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/05/08/atelier-rorona-plus-announced-for-june-release/
dagas

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2014, 05:35:14 AM »

Really great news. I was thinking of maybe getting the original on PS3 since I've heard it would not come out in Europe but now I can get the Plus version on Vita so I have it on the same system I have Totori Plus And Meruru Plus and with the improvements compared to the original game.

As to your conversation about the girls. I think it works for Atelier to have the innocent cute girls as the lead. It would not fit with a strong character like Lightning from FF for example. My fiancÚ likes to joke about me playing a game for little girls. Running around being a princess in Meruru or Ayesha acting like an innocent naive girl etc. But I like it. Especially Ayesha is so suger sweet and lovable.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2014, 07:07:12 AM »

So just got the true end (and platinum) for Atelier Escha and Logy last yesterday. Enjoyed the game overall, but the game feels like it is a side story to the Dusk series rather than a proper entry.

Code:
To be precise I just sort of feel like Escha and Logy are just never going to be mentioned again. At the true end of Ayesha, she basically decides that she is going to go with Keith to try and fix the world (only vaguely remember the details right now so feel free to call me out if I got this wrong). This sets up what I had assumed would be the central plot of the series, but then that plot line is barely advanced in Escha and Logy as Keith and Ayesha are missing and the only thing that seems to be advanced is freeing the Bumblebee Princess (forgot her actual name) who I assume will make an appearance in the next game. Then at the true end of this game Escha and Logy basically decide to stay put in order to help people. Which isn't a bad goal, but it seems almost certain that they won't be making any appearances in the next game, which is a shame because I really like Logy (part of that is probably that he seems to have been based on Felt from Atelier Iris 2).

So yeah good game, I really liked some of the changes they made to core systems like getting battle items restocked, but I just wish the story was more connected to the overall series I guess.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2014, 03:10:44 PM »

It's funny you mention that, because -
(Shallie spoilers below, not really any other game's):

Code:
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/05/27/atelier-shallie-will-familiar-alchemist-escha-will-appear-gusts-sequel/

It looks like Escha is in.  Honestly, it makes no sense for Escha to be in but not Ayesha, but I suppose there's still a possibility of Ayesha as well.  GUST is so strange sometimes.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2014, 06:50:24 AM »

It's funny you mention that, because -
(Shallie spoilers below, not really any other game's):

Code:
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/05/27/atelier-shallie-will-familiar-alchemist-escha-will-appear-gusts-sequel/

It looks like Escha is in.  Honestly, it makes no sense for Escha to be in but not Ayesha, but I suppose there's still a possibility of Ayesha as well.  GUST is so strange sometimes.

.....Well that is just confusing and weird.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2014, 03:03:48 PM »

Well she/they could be on a mission on some kind. There still working on the whole regenerating the earth thing and someone has to research those ruins, right?

Also, I would be surprised if Ayesha and Keith didn't show up. Actually, I think they might even start out as antagonists. It'd make sense. They're wanted criminals and I doubt they'd want any meddling teenagers mess up their search for the truth. Not that they'd do anything too bad, just enough to slow them down, you know?
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2014, 03:09:16 PM »

When E&L was first announced and Logy was said to use the Center's Alchemy style, I was expecting Ayesha and Keith to show up as partial/temporary antagonists, since Logy uses the Alchemical style they oppose.  I'm still holding onto that hope for Shallie.

It would be a huge missed opportunity if they didn't show up.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 03:11:33 PM by Cyril » Logged
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2014, 06:18:36 AM »

Well she/they could be on a mission on some kind. There still working on the whole regenerating the earth thing and someone has to research those ruins, right? 
With them mentioning Escha so early on, odds seem fairly high to me that she is going to be a party member, which would mean that she is leaving her home for something like 3.5+ years even assuming she is a late recruit. That just seems off. Although I suppose that Linca is highly likely to return since her arc is not yet complete, meaning Marion will have to be there also.....so basically all of R&D is running away from Logy.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: