Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 05:47:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330171 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Atelier Series
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print
Author Topic: The Atelier Series  (Read 5186 times)
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2014, 06:35:10 AM »

It would be a huge missed opportunity if they didn't show up.

Sadly, there are lots of missed opportunities in the series though; particularly in Dusk, so far. I'm just going to prepare to be disappointed. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised instead.

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2014, 09:13:50 PM »

This might be an odd question but can you interact with even a single barrel in Atelier Ayesha?

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2014, 09:23:41 PM »

Sadly, there are lots of missed opportunities in the series though; particularly in Dusk, so far. I'm just going to prepare to be disappointed. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised instead.

I think the series would be a million times better if they cut half the dialogue and polished up the gameplay

This might be an odd question but can you interact with even a single barrel in Atelier Ayesha?
Argh, why am I thinking she starts off a random cutscene with it??? (like just during one of the things happening on the streets, Ayesha's distracted by a 'Barrel!' and then someone comes in to say 'whut up').

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2014, 07:13:37 AM »

I think the series would be a million times better if they cut half the dialogue and polished up the gameplay
That is the opposite direction of where they should go imo. Escha and Logy already felt like there was barely any events to it. Cutting that in half would make the game a wasteland with nothing going on.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2014, 08:34:03 AM »

The gameplay definitely could have used a bit of fine tuning in E&L (so could the localisation), but I was *relatively* happy with it. It kept me interested through the insultingly abysmal excuse for a story. I mean, literally nothing happens in the game until, pretty much, the end. And at that point I felt a bit lost. Don't even get me started on the supporting characters.

I actually DREADED when the exclamation mark would appear to indicate a new event in town. I did not want to talk to any of the characters, uch less care about them.

I don't understand what happened with the writers. Totori's story had me incredibly invested. Sure, the writing was still a bit wonky at times and a lot of the dialogue could have been cut, but I actually cared about Totori (and most of the supporting characters) and her story. Meruru was cute, but lacking, and while I personally wasn't a big fan of Ayesha, I liked that the story had more purpose again. E&L was neither cute nor interesting, and hugely disappointing in that regard.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 08:36:16 AM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2014, 11:25:47 AM »

To be quite fair, Atelier's original purpose had nothing to do with story.  It wasn't even until Iris that it had a major focus at all. And the early games had such solid, complex gameplay that they could suffice without it.  But as GUST has become more lenient on restrictions, it's taken away the previously-imperative management and  almost changed the genre of the series entirely. They've needed to strengthen the story to make up for it.
Edit: Think Harvest Moon. 

On the subject of E&L's characters, I feel as if I'm on a totally different wavelength than the entire Japanese fanbase, or at least the fanbase GUST is hoping to pursue. Wilbell? Katla? Escha?  They are my least favorite characters in the game, yet they're the ones being brought to Shallie.   I can't help but feel this might have something to do with the more anime-styled push, which was clearly intentional if you read the developer notes.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 11:33:01 AM by Cyril » Logged
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2014, 11:57:23 AM »

Wilbell? Katla? Escha?  They are my least favorite characters in the game, yet they're the ones being brought to Shallie.   I can't help but feel this might have something to do with the more anime-styled push, which was clearly intentional if you read the developer notes.

So Logy might not make it into Shallie because he's not moe enough...? D:
Poor fella.  I was really put out that they opted for a child Rorona than an adult one in Meruru...  Bah, why show a character mature through the titles?  No one wants that!

That is the opposite direction of where they should go imo. Escha and Logy already felt like there was barely any events to it. Cutting that in half would make the game a wasteland with nothing going on.

I feel like there's a lot of plot potential in these titles though.  I just became surprised with how much is said in these games without...anything[!!]...really being said at all.  I have no problem with the series' gameplay:plot balance being what it is or how... I'm just surprised how uninteresting it is to follow.

I kinda hate how they churn out these games every year when, like I said, they could use that time to polish the game and really make it shine.  But they're just kind of awkward, wooden, and as much as I love the ideas put into the alchemy system, its got a few issues too.  I hate that it takes DAYS to pluck a few weeds, and the lands you explore really aren't too fun to canvas around anyways (or they are, but they have no plot relevance beyond eye candy).  And I hate for how 'dumbed down' in-game conversations are, you get like this MASSIVE alchemy system that is all BUT simple and straightforward.

I meant no offence by the comment... but they're just not doing the one thing the game does a lot of very well, and if that's the case, I'd almost rather not see it much at all.

I dunno....maybe beyond the pretty art direction and fancy music the series might not be for me.  I'm actually super-duper annoyed with a lot of these cutesy, anime, slice-of-life everyday haps where adorable little girls have adorable little problems that are solved through adorable little conversations.

EDIT:
New Shallie gameplay
http://youtu.be/iSpVg2Lirrg

Art farts:
http://abload.de/img/0041gesj2.jpg Escha (who's new wardrobe is the same as last time but bigger/longer)
http://abload.de/img/0061g0so3.jpg Katia
http://i.imgur.com/j74HcXs.jpg Raul[?] (<3)

I hate Willbell too, but I've loved her outfits over the years...
Battles, music, and graphics look really nice (and holy hell if there's a "most improved" award, the Atelier series would probably snatch it up)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 12:35:42 PM by Dice » Logged

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2014, 05:30:10 AM »

A new game was announced.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/05/rorona-friends-return-atelier-quest-board/

Forgive me if I'm not terribly thrilled.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2014, 11:31:23 AM »

A new game was announced.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/05/rorona-friends-return-atelier-quest-board/

Forgive me if I'm not terribly thrilled.

I kinda hate how they churn out these games every year when, like I said, they could use that time to polish the game and really make it shine. 

But honestly, as far as spin-offs go anyways, I guess this Mario/Itadaki Street is an okay-enough route to go.  Not like you can really go wrong there anyways.  And it's mobile, so it's not like the news effects us at all. :P

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2014, 12:17:26 PM »

I kinda want to play it. Boomstreet was a huge thing over at my parents' house. We'd play it for hours together. If this spin-off were a console game and actually released over here, I'm sure my sister would binge play it. It looks so cute!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2014, 04:33:21 PM »

Keith is back.

All may be good in the world yet.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/17/get-motivated-atelier-shallie-brings-linca-keithgrif-back/
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2014, 04:45:10 PM »

HE DIDN'T AGE...

And holy moses, characters other than the MCs in the intro?!  We're breaking ground here.  It also looks like an acid trip (I sound mean, but I'm excited as hell, I've loved the last two opening themes)

Hidari's designs are seriously my favourite thing for this series right now
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 04:49:13 PM by Dice » Logged

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2014, 05:56:48 PM »

Wow, Atelier Shallie's opening has exactly the opposite mood to Meruru. Shallie is all somber and low-key and quiet, while Meruru's opening literally screams in your face the instant it starts.

It's kind of interesting how the two different trilogy ends seem to have such opposite feels.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2014, 07:11:22 AM »

HE DIDN'T AGE...

And holy moses, characters other than the MCs in the intro?!  We're breaking ground here.  It also looks like an acid trip (I sound mean, but I'm excited as hell, I've loved the last two opening themes)

Hidari's designs are seriously my favourite thing for this series right now
Isn't his hair grayer than it used to be? Might just be my imagination, I guess.
dagas

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2014, 04:04:48 AM »

I just got Escha & Lodgy and Rorona Plus.

I like how these games have added a disclaimer saying where there are events. I am so tired of running around town every day in order not to miss an event. Now I can see the events right away and go there.

I am glad they are making the games more and more lenient. I stopped playing Meruru because I have just 6 months left of the after years (played 4 and a half out of 5) and so far from reaching the population needed of 100k that I just gave up. I know people say you are supposed to replay these games and that would be fine if you kept your level and items but replaying when you keep almost nothing feels like I just wasted time. And it is not like Dragon Age or Mass Effect where you make different choices, a replay will be 90% the same as before.

I love the worlds and characters they create. No other games have the same feel as the Atelier games. The colorsaturated world that is so sweet it can give you diabetes is so far from the gray and brown Gears of War as you can come. If it was up to me I'd get rid of the time limit and let people explore more of the game.

I know some people love the time limit so I would be fine if they just added an option to turn it off. Even a cheat would be fine, I just want to experience the story and not get stuck at the very end of the game. It just seems like game design from the 80's to make a game where you can get stuck and have to replay it all the from the beginning.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 04:11:38 AM by dagas » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: