Author Topic: The Atelier Series

Royal

• View Profile
Re: The Atelier Series
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2014, 08:29:29 AM »
eschatology contains JAP dub option. YES!

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2014, 01:39:38 PM »
eschatology contains JAP dub option. YES!

Oh my gosh.

Only now did I realize that Japanese Escha and Logy, "Escha to Logy" = eschatology (study of the end of time).

That's baller.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2014, 11:44:06 PM »
...oh.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2014, 11:51:07 PM »
Surprisingly clever Japanese naming convention...
Code: [Select]
For once
YEAH I SAID IT.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2014, 02:29:55 AM »
Well, here have another naming convention you might have missed.  It's not as clever as Escha to Logy though.

Ayesha: Alchemist of the Ground of Dusk or Alchemist of Dusk Ground.  The Ground was removed in localization, but remember the focus on Earth and flowers.
Escha and Logy: Alchemists of Dusk Sky, a focus on flying and airships.
Sharri: Alchemists of Dusk Sea.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 02:31:43 AM by Cyril »

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2014, 07:03:05 AM »
That one I clicked on when we were all talking about Sharri being all Sea-like. I was gonna comment about it but then got too tired halfway through.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2014, 09:58:11 AM »
^ Going a little off topic but that's why I always wished when they did Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver they remade the third as well. Because going by that naming convention, the third would have been Pokemon MindCrystal

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2014, 10:04:55 AM »
I haven't played a lot of Atelier games, but I have a mixed relationship with the series.  I loved Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana.  Veola, the magic shop clerk, has one of my favorite JRPG character stories.  Killer soundtrack too.  I still play the Deceitful Wings guitar arranged album during my commute.  

The only others I've played are Atelier Annie (which I reviewed positively for the site), Mana Khemia (which I simply could not get into), and the first Ar Tonelico (excellent music, but I couldn't get into that game either.)

It is a series I'd like to return to someday.  Though, like my homegirl Dice, I prefer something more in line with Iris than Annie.  

And as an aside, Marie is one of the best looking JRPG heroines http://www.game-ost.com/static/covers_soundtracks/1/5/15537_840252.jpg
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

raisel

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2014, 03:38:38 PM »
I haven't played a lot of Atelier games, but I have a mixed relationship with the series.  I loved Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana.  Veola, the magic shop clerk, has one of my favorite JRPG character stories.  Killer soundtrack too.  I still play the Deceitful Wings guitar arranged album during my commute.  

The only others I've played are Atelier Annie (which I reviewed positively for the site), Mana Khemia (which I simply could not get into), and the first Ar Tonelico (excellent music, but I couldn't get into that game either.)

Though Ar tonelico isn't part of the Atelier series.
Ma ki ga exec aulla ganna dand oz ee ciel. mAtyAy aje lyuma/.
N waw W an-pu kiu-wa-fen-ne miriu-du ahih=yeta-a;
QuelI-> { EXwI[cez]->{ic-p ciel}->{ic-b ciol};}->ExeC->{DW};

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2014, 05:00:17 PM »
Okay, so it's a cousin series in the Gust family tree.
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2014, 05:16:19 PM »
On the subject of Marie's design, I still think Kohime Ohse is one of my favorite overall designers in the series.  I love Hidari's bright and colorful work in Dusk, too, but there's just something about Kohime's art - I think it's the coloring - that feels very airy.  It suits the series well.

raisel

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2014, 06:08:08 PM »
Though I personally think that each one of the character designers fit very well the sub-series in which they worked. Still, it was a bit strange that they changed the character art styles (at least the in-game coloring) midway through in the Iris sub-series.
Ma ki ga exec aulla ganna dand oz ee ciel. mAtyAy aje lyuma/.
N waw W an-pu kiu-wa-fen-ne miriu-du ahih=yeta-a;
QuelI-> { EXwI[cez]->{ic-p ciel}->{ic-b ciol};}->ExeC->{DW};

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2014, 09:54:02 PM »

It is a series I'd like to return to someday.  Though, like my homegirl Dice, I prefer something more in line with Iris than Annie.  

And as an aside, Marie is one of the best looking JRPG heroines http://www.game-ost.com/static/covers_soundtracks/1/5/15537_840252.jpg

Mixed feelings about this franchise sums it up nicely for me as well. I too am on the "Iris" side of the coin.

Thing is, the Atelier series in very peculiar for me in a certain sense. That is, when I think about what the more traditional Atelier games concern themselves with and reflect on the mechanics they don't entice me. However, once I am actually playing them I couldn't be more engrossed. Even Rorona (which I couldn't stand for a lot of reasons) had a certain "hold" on me that kept me playing to the end and even caring a great deal about what ending I got.

This is usually the complete opposite for me... Typically I find myself being enticed with idea of a game, only to be let down with the actual experience.

One thing is for certain though, when it comes to art and soundtracks the whole Atelier universe and spin-offs are a cut above in my book. I really wish Gust would apply such talents to more Epic/Traditional games as an aside to the Atelier stuff to be honest.

And for the record, I do certainly feel that if Ar Tonelico were dubbed "Atelier Tonelico" no one would have questioned it.

Lastly (since you brought up shop keepers), I want to throw out a little "Pamela" love. Not only a fav shop-keeper, but a spectre to boot!
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2014, 10:16:02 PM »
And for the record, I do certainly feel that if Ar Tonelico were dubbed "Atelier Tonelico" no one would have questioned it.

I would.

They're very different games as far as I'm concerned.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2014, 10:19:05 PM »

I would.

They're very different games as far as I'm concerned.

I "feel" the similarities*, but they're definitely two *too* different games. 

*I dunno; both are basically an anime series with lots of customization and big fancy music...and lack a lot of polish.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!