Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 09:13:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337990 Posts in 13836 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Atelier Series
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: The Atelier Series  (Read 8380 times)
Royal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2014, 08:29:29 AM »

eschatology contains JAP dub option. YES!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2014, 01:39:38 PM »

eschatology contains JAP dub option. YES!

Oh my gosh.

Only now did I realize that Japanese Escha and Logy, "Escha to Logy" = eschatology (study of the end of time).

That's baller.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2014, 11:44:06 PM »

...oh.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2014, 11:51:07 PM »

Surprisingly clever Japanese naming convention...
Code:
For once
YEAH I SAID IT.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2014, 02:29:55 AM »

Well, here have another naming convention you might have missed.  It's not as clever as Escha to Logy though.

Ayesha: Alchemist of the Ground of Dusk or Alchemist of Dusk Ground.  The Ground was removed in localization, but remember the focus on Earth and flowers.
Escha and Logy: Alchemists of Dusk Sky, a focus on flying and airships.
Sharri: Alchemists of Dusk Sea.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 02:31:43 AM by Cyril » Logged
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2014, 07:03:05 AM »

That one I clicked on when we were all talking about Sharri being all Sea-like. I was gonna comment about it but then got too tired halfway through.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2014, 09:58:11 AM »

^ Going a little off topic but that's why I always wished when they did Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver they remade the third as well. Because going by that naming convention, the third would have been Pokemon MindCrystal
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2014, 10:04:55 AM »

I haven't played a lot of Atelier games, but I have a mixed relationship with the series.  I loved Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana.  Veola, the magic shop clerk, has one of my favorite JRPG character stories.  Killer soundtrack too.  I still play the Deceitful Wings guitar arranged album during my commute.  

The only others I've played are Atelier Annie (which I reviewed positively for the site), Mana Khemia (which I simply could not get into), and the first Ar Tonelico (excellent music, but I couldn't get into that game either.)

It is a series I'd like to return to someday.  Though, like my homegirl Dice, I prefer something more in line with Iris than Annie.  

And as an aside, Marie is one of the best looking JRPG heroines http://www.game-ost.com/static/covers_soundtracks/1/5/15537_840252.jpg

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
raisel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2014, 03:38:38 PM »

I haven't played a lot of Atelier games, but I have a mixed relationship with the series.  I loved Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana.  Veola, the magic shop clerk, has one of my favorite JRPG character stories.  Killer soundtrack too.  I still play the Deceitful Wings guitar arranged album during my commute.  

The only others I've played are Atelier Annie (which I reviewed positively for the site), Mana Khemia (which I simply could not get into), and the first Ar Tonelico (excellent music, but I couldn't get into that game either.)

Though Ar tonelico isn't part of the Atelier series.

Ma ki ga exec aulla ganna dand oz ee ciel. mAtyAy aje lyuma/.
N waw W an-pu kiu-wa-fen-ne miriu-du ahih=yeta-a;
QuelI-> { EXwI[cez]->{ic-p ciel}->{ic-b ciol};}->ExeC->{DW};
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2014, 05:00:17 PM »

Okay, so it's a cousin series in the Gust family tree.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2014, 05:16:19 PM »

On the subject of Marie's design, I still think Kohime Ohse is one of my favorite overall designers in the series.  I love Hidari's bright and colorful work in Dusk, too, but there's just something about Kohime's art - I think it's the coloring - that feels very airy.  It suits the series well.
raisel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2014, 06:08:08 PM »

Though I personally think that each one of the character designers fit very well the sub-series in which they worked. Still, it was a bit strange that they changed the character art styles (at least the in-game coloring) midway through in the Iris sub-series.

Ma ki ga exec aulla ganna dand oz ee ciel. mAtyAy aje lyuma/.
N waw W an-pu kiu-wa-fen-ne miriu-du ahih=yeta-a;
QuelI-> { EXwI[cez]->{ic-p ciel}->{ic-b ciol};}->ExeC->{DW};
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2014, 09:54:02 PM »

It is a series I'd like to return to someday.  Though, like my homegirl Dice, I prefer something more in line with Iris than Annie.  

And as an aside, Marie is one of the best looking JRPG heroines http://www.game-ost.com/static/covers_soundtracks/1/5/15537_840252.jpg

Mixed feelings about this franchise sums it up nicely for me as well. I too am on the "Iris" side of the coin.

Thing is, the Atelier series in very peculiar for me in a certain sense. That is, when I think about what the more traditional Atelier games concern themselves with and reflect on the mechanics they don't entice me. However, once I am actually playing them I couldn't be more engrossed. Even Rorona (which I couldn't stand for a lot of reasons) had a certain "hold" on me that kept me playing to the end and even caring a great deal about what ending I got.

This is usually the complete opposite for me... Typically I find myself being enticed with idea of a game, only to be let down with the actual experience.

One thing is for certain though, when it comes to art and soundtracks the whole Atelier universe and spin-offs are a cut above in my book. I really wish Gust would apply such talents to more Epic/Traditional games as an aside to the Atelier stuff to be honest.

And for the record, I do certainly feel that if Ar Tonelico were dubbed "Atelier Tonelico" no one would have questioned it.

Lastly (since you brought up shop keepers), I want to throw out a little "Pamela" love. Not only a fav shop-keeper, but a spectre to boot!

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2014, 10:16:02 PM »

And for the record, I do certainly feel that if Ar Tonelico were dubbed "Atelier Tonelico" no one would have questioned it.

I would.

They're very different games as far as I'm concerned.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2014, 10:19:05 PM »

I would.

They're very different games as far as I'm concerned.

I "feel" the similarities*, but they're definitely two *too* different games. 

*I dunno; both are basically an anime series with lots of customization and big fancy music...and lack a lot of polish.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: