Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2016, 07:16:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
239173 Posts in 7111 Topics by 2358 Members
Latest Member: BeardyMcBeardface
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Tom Clancy's The Division
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tom Clancy's The Division  (Read 2285 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2016, 01:29:14 PM »

In the ongoing hybridization of genres in today's video game market, we have The Division...a 3rd person shooter/morpg. Unlike Destiny, which this game feels and appears on the surface VERY similar to, The Division embraces its rpg aspects, aiming for gear hunting and dungeon crawling and making sure we know about it. Not gonna make some bullshit review or anything here about it,but I do want to see who's interested and at least get it on some people's radars otherwise.

TASTY!
glassjawsh

Salvum est Vita!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 10:01:23 PM »

just saw an ad for this.  looks like something I would pick up if I had a ps4.  I'm a sucker for "after the virus hit" Nier/The Last of Us/I Am Alive type games.

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 12:01:18 PM »

well, got to the end of the game, pretty much just doing dailies and farming phoenix credit now. The rank 50 dark zone grind is too real right now, hopefully they add more endgame PVE stuff in. Right now some of the challenging mode stages are incredibly hard while others are only moderately difficult.
This games combat-loop is really good, just hoping for more weapon/enemy/environment types eventually. It also gets a lotta bonus points from me since I live in new york and seeing faithfully recreated landmarks is really cool.
 If people need a run through some of the instances jus lemme know.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 12:14:26 PM by kofvscapcom » Logged

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 01:31:59 PM »

well, got to the end of the game, pretty much just doing dailies and farming phoenix credit now. The rank 50 dark zone grind is too real right now, hopefully they add more endgame PVE stuff in. Right now some of the challenging mode stages are incredibly hard while others are only moderately difficult.
This games combat-loop is really good, just hoping for more weapon/enemy/environment types eventually. It also gets a lotta bonus points from me since I live in new york and seeing faithfully recreated landmarks is really cool.
 If people need a run through some of the instances jus lemme know.
I was driving past the upper street level of grand central yesterday on my way to the lincoln tunnel and all I could think was "Hey, I was here yesterday in the game." which I pointed out to my old man. It's funny to travel to areas you frequent in game in real life to see how well they're represented.

I'm also working on the dark zone grind to 50, it's pretty enjoyable til you accidentally go rogue and say fuckit and slaughter a bunch of doofs, then get stuck in a manhunt running through DZ06 and get lit up by 12 level 32 A.I. guys, immediately losing half your dz credits and a rank...along with your desire to maintain your sanity. It really doesn't pay to go rogue unless you are absolutely sure you can dominate doing it....and have 3 good pals who are willing to risk the losses (or are just better at running away than you).

Advice to any fresh level 30 who is looking for more power, don't focus on replacing guns. Work on armor first, especially when spending phoenix credits. Even if you buy a nice high end gun, your still limited by your firearms rating and associated attributes, so having a lot of armor bolstering firearms and with good bonus damage to your favorite gun type (which ought to be sub machine guns right now because they're way overpowered) will make even shitty level 30s do extremely better. Also of note, electronics and the associated skill power it boosts is awesome, don't be afraid of dumping huge amounts of points into it. My skill power is just abover 42k now and my sticky bomb does 236k damage, my ballistuc shield has half a million hp, and my first aid heals 60k on contact. At the very least, if you plan on being more support than dps, having a lot of skill power will make people love you.

TASTY!
Back2Basics

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 05:01:36 PM »

Is the game really a grindfest ...  I don't mind grinding especially when the rewards are worth it
Klutz64
I Like Wacky Hats

Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 05:26:44 PM »

especially when the rewards are worth it

I suppose that depends on how much you like winter coats and modern guns.

My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 05:14:42 AM »

My favorite Tom Clancy game is Rogue Spear and not much has it changed that over the years... impossible to ignore the attention this game has gotten though.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 02:39:07 PM »

My favorite Tom Clancy game is Rogue Spear and not much has it changed that over the years... impossible to ignore the attention this game has gotten though.
Yeah, really hard to ignore, since it's almost entirely negative now. Massive has effectively ruined the game entirely with bugs, poor mission and weapon balancing, and basically every mistake destiny made. Also, this doesn't deserve to be categorized as an rpg anymore, it's entirely a third person shooter with semi rpg elements.

TASTY!
missRPGirl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 10:52:25 AM »

Yeah, really hard to ignore, since it's almost entirely negative now. Massive has effectively ruined the game entirely with bugs, poor mission and weapon balancing, and basically every mistake destiny made. Also, this doesn't deserve to be categorized as an rpg anymore, it's entirely a third person shooter with semi rpg elements.
I think the category should be shooter mmo, even though you don't see that many people roaming around like most mmo's. I'm really surprised though of how many people hate this game and all of the negative comments. I felt like Ubisoft did a lot better than the creators of Destiny when it was first released. The only thing I can say its that I don't typically play shooter games. In fact this is my second shooter games I played. The first one was Destiny. So things like weapon balance and PvP issues tend to go over my head.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 11:45:09 AM »

I think the category should be shooter mmo, even though you don't see that many people roaming around like most mmo's. I'm really surprised though of how many people hate this game and all of the negative comments. I felt like Ubisoft did a lot better than the creators of Destiny when it was first released. The only thing I can say its that I don't typically play shooter games. In fact this is my second shooter games I played. The first one was Destiny. So things like weapon balance and PvP issues tend to go over my head.
In destiny though, none of the bugs were game breaking, and aside from like 2 or 3 weapons, none of the exploits would make you godly in pvp...aside from the easy atheon hard mode kills for the vex mythoclast. In the division, their glitches carried over to the dark zone, allowing the cheating players serious advantages over the general public. The problem now is that even with the temporary bans in place for 2 weeks, the cheaters and heavy exploiters are packing armor and firepower that make them nigh untouchable in the dark zone, where most of the high end play takes place. Massive also is more on top of patching things that take away from their heavy grind than fix issues that SHOULD be addressed, such as perks not working correctly or weapon balancing being a complete joke (if you don't use an smg you're stupid basically). Furthermore, at least destiny is a shooter claiming to be a shooter at the end of the day, and as such guns are the major focus. The division claims to be an rpg, but they bottleneck you into a dps build for actual effectiveness. A high skillpower build is a joke, as abilities begin to reach damage/buff caps at around 45k skill power, meanwhile firearms and dps has no real cap, nor does health. It's all very misleading and lame from a heavy RPG gamer's point of view.

I will admit, Division month one was much cleaner than destiny, and offered more content...however Destiny took its criticisms and created a better landscape, whereas the division is slapping band aids on its problems and leaving vast amounts of unsatisfied players.

TASTY!
missRPGirl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 12:42:23 PM »

Yeah I haven't done the pvp for a few reasons. One I heard it was pointless unless you lvl 30, which I am still lvl 26. Since I am about a story once I beat the game I was pretty much done and I went back to playing RPG's. I also heard that dark zone was very punishing and of course the other issues that you mentioned. I will say this for someone like me who doesn't like shooters I defiantly invested a lot of time in the Destiny pvp than the Division.

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 12:15:33 AM »

Main problem with pvp in the division is it's usually a very lopsided affair, the way damage is calculated and how good armor is sees to that. If a persons gear is better than yours in the dark zone they might literally kill you in a split second and you might do almost no damage to them. Gear in Destiny pvp does matter, but damage mitigation is not that effective and I've never run into a situation where I felt like I had no chance. I feel the Falcon Lost stuff isn't very good, going to take a break from Division for awhile until the next updates comes.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 08:53:32 AM »

It seems to me the game has become sort of symbolic of AAA excess and expectations.

I honestly just hope AA makes a resurgence and we can all just play fun games, no fuss no muss.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: