Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 09:20:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327321 Posts in 13403 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Wildstar
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Wildstar  (Read 966 times)
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 09:45:51 AM »

Purchase + Subscription. I realize it's not everyone's favorite model, but the devs make it worth it. They plan (and so far have successfully implemented) to release an "Ultradrop" at the end of each month filled with loads of extra content. The end of the first month (last month) they released a drop with two new level 50 zones, a bunch of costume and decor stuff, and a plethora of general fixes. The drop at the end of this month has already been revealed to include a new PvP Battleground and a bunch of yet-to-be-announced content as well.

Plus if you find you're making a ton of money in the game, you can buy game time with in-game currency from other players thanks to the C.R.E.D.D system (This also works in the opposite direction, i.e. if you have extra cash you can buy game time and sell it to players in-game)

I actually prefer a subscription model to one based around microtransactions (not to mention double dipping with microtransactions AND a subscription which is a major no-no in my book) because at the very least it puts everyone on even ground without making you feel like you're missing out on something unless you pay up. Obviously, its not my favourite model by a long shot, but I can live with it as long as the monthly fee isn't ridiculous.
How are they handling payments during the beta phase. Subscription model already in place or is it "free" until the game goes gold?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:49:20 AM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 09:58:50 AM »

How are they handling payments during the beta phase. Subscription model already in place or is it "free" until the game goes gold?

Game was officially released June 3rd. Purchase comes with your standard free 30 days.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 10:05:52 AM »

Game was officially released June 3rd. Purchase comes with your standard free 30 days.

My bad, I misread the OP (specifically the 9 days open beta part) and though it was still in beta with preorders running.
Wasn't really interested at first but I might look into it after all.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 11:10:35 AM »

I vastly prefer the subscription model. Many devs earn the money considering the amount of playtime you can get out of these games (especially WildStar and FFXIV), and with a sub model you know the game is built around the experience of playing it and exploring it rather than with the intent of being able to add lots of microtransaction "hooks" and making it feel less like a gameworld and more like a "service."

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: