Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 03:01:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327632 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Conception II
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Conception II  (Read 5668 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2014, 04:57:28 PM »

I recently took issue with the "Bozongas" thing in Tales of Xillia, not even for being dirty, but simply for just not being funny to me.  Butt fuck it.  Other people *love* highschool-level humor I guess.

Nah, the bazongas jokes were fucking awful.

See, THIS is how it's done.
deathsaber

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2014, 04:58:34 PM »

Truthfully, this game was made for me.  I am a man and enjoy fan service and the obsurd premise and hijinks.  I really don't get the hate these kinds of games get.  There are plenty of "serious" games out there to go around, but whenever a fun sexy romp like this comes along, its always the end of the world.  Its not even like they go to the realm of anything being truly explicit- its all just innuendos, and some nifty outfits (and exaggerated physics to go with them).  

The demo for this was easily the most interesting and entertaining bit of jrpg I've played all year thus far.  In contrast, Bravely Default and Lightning Returns bored me to tears.  Go figure.  
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2014, 06:46:08 PM »

Lol the score was even lower than I thought I expected a 70 or so.  Wouldn't be an rpgfan review without prudish comments.  Hopefully I'll enjoy this "creepy" game targeted at straight males (the horror).  Sucks to hear about the dungeons though.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2014, 06:52:42 PM »

I think folks are being a little too unfair to the reviewer. I'm all for fanservice and eye candy and whatnot, but from the demo I agree with the article, which isn't criticizing the presence of that stuff, but rather that the game tries too hard, doesn't really have the right tone to be more silly than creepy, and offers nothing else in return.

On an unrelated topic, anyone know what the third game the reviewer was referencing in the intro was?

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2014, 07:03:01 PM »

On an unrelated topic, anyone know what the third game the reviewer was referencing in the intro was?

and dived into the minds of magic songstresses with some serious psychological issues

Errrrr Ar Tonelico?

(also, the subtitle for the review should have been WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!)
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2014, 07:08:19 PM »

(also, the subtitle for the review should have been WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!)

But I thought that was the whole point---oh wait, I see what you did there.  :P

I'll have to wait a few days until my order comes in from Amazon, but I'll fully admit that this game will be a guilty pleasure to play.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2014, 09:34:38 PM »

Re: Fanservice

I love goofiness, fanservice, and goofy fanservice probably more than many of you.  Hell, I enjoyed Let's Meow Meow for crying out loud.  But sometimes, even I get annoyed by fanservice.  Like in Agarest War 2, some of it (e.g. the oil massage sequences) felt like a tacked on afterthought and the game would have been better without it.  That being said, I did find some of the optional event scenes really funny.  Some bordered on creepy, but whatever.

And then you have cases like the manga My Balls.  For the first couple of volumes, it's hilarious (if you enjoy lowbrow humor, obviously).  But then it seemed to get old fast and overstayed its welcome.  EDIT:  I never finished it, but I heard the ending was good despite the supposedly draggy middle, so I'll probably read it again online just to see.

And while I was able to figure out Baten Kaitos and Ar Tonelico from the intro, I'm still stumped on the RPG about a flamboyant vampire pro-wrestler who beats his enemies with telephone poles.  That sounds like a wild game.  
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 07:49:36 PM by Dincrest » Logged

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2014, 09:45:57 PM »

And while I was able to figure out Baten Kaitos and Ar Tonelico from the intro, I'm still stumped on the RPG about a flamboyant vampire pro-wrestler who beats his enemies with telephone poles.  That sounds like a wild game.  

I could be wrong but wasn't that a Shadow Hearts reference?

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2014, 09:48:41 PM »

I never played the Shadow Hearts games, believe it or not.

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2014, 11:02:26 PM »

I could be wrong but wasn't that a Shadow Hearts reference?

Hoo boy...just two words to say on that: Man Festival

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2014, 11:20:20 PM »

I never played the Shadow Hearts games, believe it or not.

You are missing out.  I liked the dark gothic setting mixed with whacky characters and weapons.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2014, 11:33:01 PM »

http://tmblr.co/ZbdYay1D88r-S

Eugh, c'mon, really?

I dunno.  I get so torn on talking about this stuff.  On one hand I want to rip into it for being immature, excessive, and more stupid and campy than actually funny and amusing (like OMG SENPAI HAS BIG BREASTS <3 jokes happening at *least* once an hour); but on the other how can I object to having just a good ol time with a 'guilty pleasure' title?  

I can't.  I've tried writing about 3 other posts tearing it up till the other latter half of the argument kicks in and reminds me that there is some weird audience who eats this up and is pretty damn happy to be getting this; and I like that in some weird way (though I hate when people do indeed defend it like it is Shakespeare or throw out the "stop being offended!!" arguments).  And I'm not the target demographic, so besides that ...less-than-impressed Tiny Cartridge review I posted up top, enjoy.

Code:
...and still hoping we can get a funny game that isn't T&A based.
Which, by the way, I absolutely agree with Sophie's sentiments, Annubis.  They do indeed look like butts!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 11:35:12 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2014, 11:45:30 PM »

I just did that juice drinking part before I had to go to work (it's prettymuch right after you load your demo data).  Anyway about the humor, in general I haven't found the game very funny so far.  I don't like the dirty old man trope and the "fall on girl and accidentally grab breasts" scenes for example.  Boob jokes in general are prettymuch never funny.  This stuff has been done into the ground so hard it is unbelievably tiresome.  What isn't tiresome is seeing cute girls in skimpy outfits, at least for me :P

Since My Balls was mentioned I'd say that is pretty funny but it did indeed drag on too long and I certainly think there is much funnier pervy humor stuff out there than that. 
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2014, 12:36:41 AM »

Personally I think you people are stretching way too much. Especially with the 'juice' scene. Which I had no idea was even a thing until I checked the forums here. Really? We're going that far as to bend scene context and line delivery just to create false entendre? There's no denying the game has more than an over abundance of it throw in low, slow pitches but really. Now you're just trying to set fires so you can claim the barn bonfire's really a deforesting inferno.

Also kinda find it very pot and kettle how many people here railing on Conception II with one fist but used the other to handwave pretty much all of Stick of Truth; which anything South Park is pretty much as juvenile, low-as-you-can-go, bottom of the barrel not-funny humor. I'll point it out again. SoT utilized ABORTION and ANAL RAPE (possibly of a minor; have no desire to research this particular topic but considering how many characters in the SP universe are children I think the odds are good enough to assume this until someone corrects me) multiple times for 'comedy'. Guess what it got? Editor's Choice. And yet Conception II is being ragged because of minor to moderate innuendo? *brain blown*

I dunno. Maybe my HSDD is filtering out some of the more obvious things keeping me from seeing this 'avalanche' of supposed subject matter but really this particular criticism is being blown way out of proportion. I just got a fair way into Chapter 2 tonight and I have yet to see anything that isn't stereotypical content for your average Japanese Shonen story. Heck, compared to even some of the tamer Shonen material over the past decade Conception II hasn't throw out anything over the 'average' bar of eye rolling raciness. Even some of the things people are griping about here the 'golden child' of JRPGs this past decade, Persona 4, utilized as well. If not even worse than Conception II has so far. (Pretty sure there were 3-tops scenes of extended conversations post Naoto's rescue revolving around 'How big is X's breasts' as humor; one of which done in a hot spring with an all girl group for 'bonus points' on the low brow-o-dometer.)

The game's nothing special mind you. Horrid dialog for all the female characters thus far (not that the males are any better but they sit at base-level cliche rather than dipping into the 'bleh' pool), transitions so sharp I swear I get whip lash just from simple scene to scenes, grindy gameplay and waaaay too many tutorials just dog-piled on in quick succession. So there's plenty to nitpick here without delving into sensationalist fiction for extra discussion material.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:00:10 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2014, 12:56:15 AM »

^  I agree about the South Park thing.  I was thinking the same thing and thought how since that's mainstream it's apparently ok.  Back when that review came out I noticed that it got an editor's choice award with a 90% yet I remembered Gungnir also getting a 90% (I just checked and it was 92%) yet that didn't get editor's choice because it wasn't mainstream enough.  Something about "broad appeal" iirc. 

Also I know Bravely Default was reviewed by different people for this site but how do you explain that game having a significantly higher graphics score than Conception 2?  I played the demo for both (in Conceptions case I did for both consoles) and I just don't see any way to explain it other than dragging down the graphics score for the Conception 2 review to match up with the 60s it got in the other categories. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: