Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 07:44:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338137 Posts in 13843 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Conception II
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Conception II  (Read 9402 times)
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 09:52:06 PM »

Don't Japanese voice tracks entail licensing shenanigans?

Also aren't voice tracks larghueg and possibly impacting downloadable release?
Either is a reason, probably. I don't know much, but I did hear that Japanese VAs have a say in the matter. Probably why it's impossible for us to watch Japanese dubbed anime on television because that means we're listening to their voices across the sea.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Deufo
The Duke

Three times faster

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 09:57:34 PM »

For me, it's important for immersion, specially in an anime-esque RPG. When the voices are good, then it's not much of a deal (it does not add a huge value to the game), but when it's bad, the "flow" of the game is broken every time i'm immersed in story or gameplay and have to hear that out-of-place voice, so it's a big minus for me.

Regarding turning the voices off... perhaps that can be a solution. I'll still feel like something is wrong, but it can make it playable.
Regarding gibberish, i understand almost all of spoken japanese (but can't read kanji).
Regarding the proud language of nation of birth joke, English is not my first language, so it does not apply.

Those seem like good reasons, but i can't help but feel that Atlus is losing a portion of possible buyers.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 10:16:39 PM »

Also, this isn't an Atlus game. They're publishing it.

Atlus is localizing it so blaming them for the lack of dual-audio is 100% appropriate.

Either is a reason, probably. I don't know much, but I did hear that Japanese VAs have a say in the matter. Probably why it's impossible for us to watch Japanese dubbed anime on television because that means we're listening to their voices across the sea.

No, it's hard to find Japanese-audio anime on TV because TV execs target the lowest common denominator and don't think there's a market for it.  And TV broadcasts generally don't have options for multiple audio tracks so it's not like you can do both.  Services like Crunchyroll legally stream Japanese-audio anime over the web all the time.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:25:49 PM by Kevadu » Logged

TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 10:21:22 PM »

Atlus has been doing this for a long time now.  Other companies do dual audio or JP voice only but Atlus published stuff is almost always dub only.  That's just how they do it :P
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 10:31:36 PM »

Atlus has gone for dual audio in the past, I just suspect it's usually a matter of how convenient it is, and they have a lower threshold possibly than other publishers. Or their choices are always the biggest pains in the ass to get dual audio into for some reason, while Atlus in Japan may well not care to work out such deals for most of their own games (and they one time they did they region locked it.)

EDIT: Wait no, there were TWO instances, but the other one, Dragon's Crown, is more like a pseudo exception rather than a proper one. But that narrator is awesome so who cares.
solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

The real me exists on the internet!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 10:41:27 PM »

Don't Japanese voice tracks entail licensing shenanigans?

Also aren't voice tracks larghueg and possibly impacting downloadable release?

Yeah, including JP voice acting can sometimes cost more and be more complicated than just recording the lines themselves. I think I remember reading something from Xseed talking about it.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 11:34:20 PM »

How do you know the Japanese dub of Conception II is any good, anyway?

I mean apparently the Japanese dub of the DDS games was /way/ worse than the English ones.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2014, 10:48:25 AM »

How do you know the Japanese dub of Conception II is any good, anyway?

I mean apparently the Japanese dub of the DDS games was /way/ worse than the English ones.

For some games it's just nicer to not actually understand what they're saying.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 08:27:43 PM »

Watching someone play the demo on Vine. This looks stupid as hell.

o/` I do not dream o/`

solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

The real me exists on the internet!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 08:43:48 PM »

How do you watch a demo of something on Vine? It's literally 7 seconds of viewing. And secondly, why the hell would anyone use Vine? :p

But yeah, my take on the demo is that it is stupid, but in a good way.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2014, 10:09:21 PM »

How do you watch a demo of something on Vine? It's literally 7 seconds of viewing. And secondly, why the hell would anyone use Vine? :p

But yeah, my take on the demo is that it is stupid, but in a good way.

That's just the rush-rush state of our world, Solid.  You can't capture my curiosity in 7 seconds, it's dead to me.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 06:41:47 AM »

Exactly, isn't it glorious?
deathsaber

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 03:19:09 PM »

This demo has me day one, hook line and sinker.  I guess I'm part of the trashy contingent, too.  (In contrast, Bravely Default bored me to tears)

The best friend worrying about you "classmating" with his sister and then giving his blessing for you have children with her in the same conversation, had me in.  Its funny how they alude to having sex with multiple girls to have as many "world saving" babies as possible, when you actually are just holding hands with a girl above a magical vase thing and then a magical pokemon party member kid thing pops out of the vase.  But the actual "conception" cutscene and that song that plays during the "coupling".  LOL

I haven't played anything this outwardly nuts since Sakura Wars: Goodbye my Love on Wii.  I love it.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 07:15:15 PM »

I meant more that I found the endless dialogue and shapetweening abuse super offputting.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 06:51:49 AM »

Played the 3DS demo and actually enjoyed it, even though it was a glorified tutorial that just barely gave you a dip into the pool.  Preordered it as soon as I was done.

I guess I'm weird in that I actually enjoyed the English voices.  The dialogue in games like these are usually going to be excessively campy, though that's not always the case, so I just roll with it.  That usually helps in games like this unless I find the acting really terribad. 

I'm still wondering if each of the girls have their own story or endings, or if they're just fun little archetypes to make babies with and save the world, though.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: