Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 04:25:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332823 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Import Friendly PS3/Vita Games
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Import Friendly PS3/Vita Games  (Read 558 times)
solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

The real me exists on the internet!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2014, 11:16:32 AM »

I've begun importing games recently (or rather I pre-ordered an import). I want to look into doing it more, but I don't speak Japanese. I remember seeing a chart a while back with a number of games and it was color coded by difficulty to play w/o any knowledge of the Japanese language. Does anyone have, or know where I can find that chart again? And does anyone have any recommendations for games that I could import, and play, without having to worry much about the language barrier?

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 11:20:34 AM »

I'm betting the new J-Stars game is going to be pretty simple to just pick up and play.  Stay away from just about any RPG, as they will be almost impossible to play with 0 Japanese knowledge.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

The real me exists on the internet!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 12:16:07 PM »

I'm betting the new J-Stars game is going to be pretty simple to just pick up and play.  Stay away from just about any RPG, as they will be almost impossible to play with 0 Japanese knowledge.

I'm seeing the J-Stars game a lot, but I believe a localization was announced for it. So it would be pointless for me to import that. And yeah, I'm staying far away from RPGs. Right now, I'm looking at the PSP Hatsune Miku games, and Sengoku Basara HD.

Edit: I'm wrong. Not announced for localization. Guess I'll look into J-Stars
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 12:18:03 PM by solidbatman » Logged

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 06:45:30 PM »

It won't ever be localised. Too many issues with who owns the rights to what series overseas.

Arklight

Know the meaning of Odio.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 06:52:24 PM »

I've recently gotten a hold of Gundam Extreme vs. Full Boost on PS3, which is a pretty dang simple game to navigate. Incredibly fun too, unlike many OTHER Gundam games.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 11:12:30 PM »

I really enjoyed Alternative Saga: Ys vs. Sora no Kiseki on PSP.  All of the menus are in English except for the item names, and the storyline is basically "fight these guys in sequence".  The Wikia for the game also explains the different items, skills, and achievements pretty well.  I don't speak two words of Japanese and I was able to sink 20+ hours in and have a lot of fun.  If you enjoy arena fighters like Dissidia and Powerstone AND really like Ys Seven, Trails in the Sky, or both, then I'd recommend it. 

Only minor problem: there are a few spoilers in the game.  One Ys Seven surprise character is playable, and one Trails in the Sky character is outed as a villain. 

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 11:28:09 PM »

Initial D - Extreme Stage is a pretty fun racing game that is easy to play and figure out, even without a lot of Japanese knowledge. There's a bit of a story, but it's not really that important - you just need to get out and race.
Modifying your car is extremely easy as well.

The Biohazard Chronicles HD Collection and Darkstalkers Resurrection HD collections are pretty easy to play as well.

There's also Asian versions of games that didn't get an HD release in NA if you're interested in those.

E.g. Siren New Translation, Okami HD,  Wipeout Fury HD

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 12:06:53 AM »

There's also Asian versions of games that didn't get an HD release in NA if you're interested in those.

E.g. Siren New Translation, Okami HD,  Wipeout Fury HD

Okami HD got a NA release.  Besides, there's a lot of talking in that game, this is supposed to be the "import friendly" thread.

Which is why I have a hard time making recommendations.  Most of the games I import are text-heavy RPGs and VNs...

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 08:29:33 PM »

Okami HD got a NA release.  Besides, there's a lot of talking in that game, this is supposed to be the "import friendly" thread.

Yes, but my point was that the Asian edition is in English, as opposed to the Japanese edition, for those that wanted to import a retail copy.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Reta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 11:56:45 PM »

I really enjoyed Alternative Saga: Ys vs. Sora no Kiseki on PSP.  All of the menus are in English except for the item names, and the storyline is basically "fight these guys in sequence".  The Wikia for the game also explains the different items, skills, and achievements pretty well.  I don't speak two words of Japanese and I was able to sink 20+ hours in and have a lot of fun.  If you enjoy arena fighters like Dissidia and Powerstone AND really like Ys Seven, Trails in the Sky, or both, then I'd recommend it. 

Only minor problem: there are a few spoilers in the game.  One Ys Seven surprise character is playable, and one Trails in the Sky character is outed as a villain. 

As someone who has finished all three games in the trilogy, I can tell you that there are definitely more  spoilers than just those. (Mostly in text, which the OP can't read, but still.) Plus, as fun as it is on its own, it's much better if you can pick up on all of the references and fanservice for Falcom fans.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: