Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 11:03:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338107 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  KINGDOM HEARTS 3 & FINAL FANTASY XV at E3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: KINGDOM HEARTS 3 & FINAL FANTASY XV at E3  (Read 1723 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 04:52:09 PM »

I'm with Agent D on not understanding why this got its own topic but since everyone seems to be posting here anyway:

http://www.destructoid.com/bravely-default-s-success-has-square-refocusing-on-heavy-jrpgs-core-audience-272658.phtml

Has S-E actually managed to pull their head out of their ass?

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 06:48:08 PM »

This whole deal to me is like a cruel joke that starts with; "If I pray hard enough will SQEX do things like SQ did back in the day?"

SQEX is just gonna keep being SQEX. If you wanna see what happened to SQ then look at Mistwalker. Is nice that the CEO is saying stuff SQ fans want to hear though.

Also, for as long as I've follow XV's development I think that part of the hype the game has behind it is gonna explode in people's faces. KHIII on the other hand I believe is gonna be fine no matter how long it takes to come out.
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 07:25:09 PM »

SQEX is just gonna keep being SQEX. If you wanna see what happened to SQ then look at Mistwalker.
This.  It's as if all the people begging SE for a traditional RPG and complaining about FFXIII have never heard of Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey.  The throwback games are there; people are just looking in the wrong places.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 07:35:45 PM »

Sure, sure, it's all just the whining of Squaresoft fanboys.

"For example, in the past, when we developed console games with a worldwide premise, we lost our focus, and not only did they end up being games that weren’t for the Japanese, but they ended up being incomplete titles that weren't even fit for a global audience."

"For the new games we'll be developing from this point on, while this may sound a bit extreme, we’ve been talking about making them as heavy JRPGs. I believe that way, we can better focus on our target, which will also bring better results."

-Yosuke Matsuda, president of Square Enix

He's such a fanboy.

Square Enix being Square Enix isn't working.  Of course they're going to look in new directions.  Why are you trying to make that sound unreasonable?

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 07:37:10 PM »

Yeah, I'm quite stoked about XV. The team behind it is proven, Shimomura is my musical queen, and Square Enix has, in general of late, been making the right moves.

If Disney can work its way back into our hearts (by going back to basics?) maybe SquareEnix too! :D

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 08:07:56 PM »

@Kevadu: Unreasonable? No, I'm trying to be realistic. That's all.

Matsuda has said a bunch of nice things in the past with nothing to show. With SQEX is better to for hope things going fine rather than trust what they say, mainly because plans and priorities change over time for a company.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 08:27:52 PM »

Nothing to show except massively turned-around financials and the continued success of FFXIV and the current success of Bravely Default?

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 08:34:09 PM »

Nothing to show except massively turned-around financials and the continued success of FFXIV and the current success of Bravely Default?

And Deus Ex: The Fall

OHGODWHY

EDIT: Than again, maybe it's a cosmic rule that every other Deus Ex blows.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 08:51:37 PM »

^HR only sucked by the standards of the original DX. On its own HR was a great game that I enjoyed for hours.

As I remember Wada was responsable to make XIV 2.0 a priority in the company to make it a success. Bunch of project was said were cancelled because of that too.

BD was gonna make decent sales in Japan because the game was made for that territory in mind. The success of BD in the West was something SQEX Japan never saw coming, and decided not publish the game by themselves. I guess they underestimated the market for that kind of game over here.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 08:56:31 PM »

^HR only sucked by the standards of the original DX. On its own HR was a great game that I enjoyed for hours.

DE =D
DE:IW =(
DE:HR =D
DE:TF =(
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2014, 03:27:02 AM »

BD was gonna make decent sales in Japan because the game was made for that territory in mind. The success of BD in the West was something SQEX Japan never saw coming, and decided not publish the game by themselves. I guess they underestimated the market for that kind of game over here.

I wonder if they never take notice of what other publishers are doing. There are multiple smaller publishers who survive by releasing niche Japanese stuff and do just fine. They don't have to worry when one of their games doesn't sell 5 million copies, nope, when a title sells 200.000 copies the first month they celebrate with cake. And heck, Nintendo (well, mostly Nintendo of Europe) is pretending it's the 90s all over again and releasing third party JRPG's.

Oh well, I guess whatever money they're making isn't good enough for Squeenix.

As for KH3 and FFXV, wake me up when those are out. There is no way I'm boarding that hype train.

Why can't Squeenix be like smaller publishers that are all like: hey, we're making this game and we're almost done. It'll be out in three months. Here's some screenshots and a trailer of two. Thanks for listening!

Oh, yeah, wait. It's because they pour millions and millions and millions into their projects. If they don't start shoving it in our faces now, we won't start believing this is something amazing we should be looking forward to for years. If we don't believe, we won't pre-order and if we don't pre-order, there won't be x miljoen sold the first month and the company will enter financial crisis mode and start pooping out unneeded sequels.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2014, 03:34:47 AM »

Why can't Squeenix be like smaller publishers that are all like: hey, we're making this game and we're almost done. It'll be out in three months. Here's some screenshots and a trailer of two. Thanks for listening!

Oh, yeah, wait. It's because they pour millions and millions and millions into their projects. If they don't start shoving it in our faces now, we won't start believing this is something amazing we should be looking forward to for years. If we don't believe, we won't pre-order and if we don't pre-order, there won't be x miljoen sold the first month and the company will enter financial crisis mode and start pooping out unneeded sequels.

S-E is particularly weird about this.  There are other "triple A" publishers who don't seem to have this problem so much...

I remember there was an interview after Type-0 came out where they admitted they didn't really start working on it until two years after the first trailer.  It was just a vague concept up until that point.  It's not really clear what the situation with XV was when it was first announced, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was similar...

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2014, 08:47:28 AM »

I wonder if they never take notice of what other publishers are doing. There are multiple smaller publishers who survive by releasing niche Japanese stuff and do just fine. They don't have to worry when one of their games doesn't sell 5 million copies, nope, when a title sells 200.000 copies the first month they celebrate with cake. And heck, Nintendo (well, mostly Nintendo of Europe) is pretending it's the 90s all over again and releasing third party JRPG's.

Oh well, I guess whatever money they're making isn't good enough for Squeenix.

As for KH3 and FFXV, wake me up when those are out. There is no way I'm boarding that hype train.

post of the year

Everything's Eventual
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2014, 09:48:45 AM »

Except that I slipped into Dutch for a second. 'Miljoen'? Seriously, Tomara? Dutch isn't even that suitable for angry rants...

I remember there was an interview after Type-0 came out where they admitted they didn't really start working on it until two years after the first trailer.  It was just a vague concept up until that point.  It's not really clear what the situation with XV was when it was first announced, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was similar...

XV is now basically announced-but-never-actually-made Final Fantasy XIII Versus-stuff with a different title, so I suppose they're a little further along than usual. There was some actual gameplay in the latest trailers. Of course, this doesn't mean the game is anywhere near complete, but atleast they seem to have passed the 'here's some fancy smancy FMV, we'll attach and actual game to it someday' phase.

Which isn't actually all that hard when the skeleton of the game has been development hell for 5+ years <_<
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2014, 10:07:52 AM »

Except that I slipped into Dutch for a second. 'Miljoen'? Seriously, Tomara? Dutch isn't even that suitable for angry rants...

XV is now basically announced-but-never-actually-made Final Fantasy XIII Versus-stuff with a different title, so I suppose they're a little further along than usual. There was some actual gameplay in the latest trailers. Of course, this doesn't mean the game is anywhere near complete, but atleast they seem to have passed the 'here's some fancy smancy FMV, we'll attach and actual game to it someday' phase.

Which isn't actually all that hard when the skeleton of the game has been development hell for 5+ years <_<

Unlike KH3 where any idiot could see the "gameplay" bits were just empty shells slapped together quickly for the sake of a trailer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: