Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 05:13:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335244 Posts in 13726 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  KINGDOM HEARTS 3 & FINAL FANTASY XV at E3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: KINGDOM HEARTS 3 & FINAL FANTASY XV at E3  (Read 1641 times)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2014, 10:27:21 AM »

such jaded.

much cynicism.

wow

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2014, 10:52:35 AM »

Unlike KH3 where any idiot could see the "gameplay" bits were just empty shells slapped together quickly for the sake of a trailer.

Oh yeah, they had this trailer with the running up buildings, right? Camera looked too cinematic and actions too well timed to be real.

such jaded.

much cynicism.

wow

Hehe, I remember getting really excited over Final Fantasy VIII, but quickly found out the games are bound to be disappointments if I kept that up. If I have no or low expectation, I can't be disappointed, can I? So really, I'm doing Squeenix a favor by acting like a pissed off granny :D
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2014, 12:05:34 PM »

SQEX is just gonna keep being SQEX. If you wanna see what happened to SQ then look at Mistwalker.
This.  It's as if all the people begging SE for a traditional RPG and complaining about FFXIII have never heard of Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey.  The throwback games are there; people are just looking in the wrong places.

Mistwalker's games were pretty disappointingly average JRPG's. Hard to get excited over that. They were playable diversions, but not worth getting an X360 for like they were marketed in Japan. I have more faith in Square Enix than I do in Mistwalker right now... which is saying something.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2014, 12:44:02 PM »

BD was gonna make decent sales in Japan because the game was made for that territory in mind. The success of BD in the West was something SQEX Japan never saw coming, and decided not publish the game by themselves. I guess they underestimated the market for that kind of game over here.

I wonder if they never take notice of what other publishers are doing. There are multiple smaller publishers who survive by releasing niche Japanese stuff and do just fine. They don't have to worry when one of their games doesn't sell 5 million copies, nope, when a title sells 200.000 copies the first month they celebrate with cake. And heck, Nintendo (well, mostly Nintendo of Europe) is pretending it's the 90s all over again and releasing third party JRPG's.

Oh well, I guess whatever money they're making isn't good enough for Squeenix.

As for KH3 and FFXV, wake me up when those are out. There is no way I'm boarding that hype train.

Why can't Squeenix be like smaller publishers that are all like: hey, we're making this game and we're almost done. It'll be out in three months. Here's some screenshots and a trailer of two. Thanks for listening!

Oh, yeah, wait. It's because they pour millions and millions and millions into their projects. If they don't start shoving it in our faces now, we won't start believing this is something amazing we should be looking forward to for years. If we don't believe, we won't pre-order and if we don't pre-order, there won't be x miljoen sold the first month and the company will enter financial crisis mode and start pooping out unneeded sequels.

post of the year

I agree actually, that's a good summary of them and why I refuse to board that train.  I honestly feel nothing for KH3 and FF15 ... I will, just not now.  Not at all.

SQEX is just gonna keep being SQEX. If you wanna see what happened to SQ then look at Mistwalker.
This.  It's as if all the people begging SE for a traditional RPG and complaining about FFXIII have never heard of Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey.  The throwback games are there; people are just looking in the wrong places.

Mistwalker's games were pretty disappointingly average JRPG's. Hard to get excited over that. They were playable diversions, but not worth getting an X360 for like they were marketed in Japan. I have more faith in Square Enix than I do in Mistwalker right now... which is saying something.

Agree here too.  I'm curious about them like crazy and I'm happy to give them a million chances (because at least they're "good" even if not "FANTASTIMAZING").  But man, I wonder if they're even going to work every morning.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2014, 01:05:56 PM »

I'll definitely give Mistwalker another chance, but I refuse to get hyped about one of their games at this point. Got burned twice with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2014, 02:22:06 PM »

I'll definitely give Mistwalker another chance because Lost Odyssey was probably my favorite 360 game and one of my favorite RPGs.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2014, 03:13:39 AM »

Since I kinda started using this thread to punch Square Enix in the face, can I do it some more?

Last night I was thinking about this thing: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/31/bravely-defaults-success-west-making-square-enix-rethink-jrpgs/

(That Jimquisition episode probably helped.)

You know what's totally stupid about this? Nope, not the part about how a company went blindly for mass appeal, when they knew to formule to success all along. The stupid part is how they learned that lesson.

Bravely Default was published by Nintendo in most parts of the world. Nintendo was the one that figured: Well, these traditional RPGs will always have their audience and this one is relatively high profile. Let's publish it, put it in some Directs and promote it on our website. It should do well enough.

And it did. Better than expected even. Nintendo may out of touch with mainstream gaming, but when it comes to games they know their stuff.

But... what if Nintendo hadn't even known that? It's extremely likely Square Enix wouldn't have published Bravely Default outside of Japan themselves and I doubt they would have entrusted one of their titles with a smaller company. If Bravely Default had never made it across the ocean, would Square Enix have stayed on their original doomed path or were the Bravely Default sales just a platform to elegantly launch their 'we changed our mind about this whole mass appeal thing because it clearly isn't working' statement from?
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2014, 06:09:24 AM »

There should be a fanfiction about how SQEX got into the Twelve-step program after feeling guilt for all the money they lost for not publishing BD in the West.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2014, 07:21:53 AM »

Tomara..  I believe you are being overly dramatic about this.
Bravely Default only showed them the viability of Niche JRPG's to be made and localized, it didn't make them a fortune or anything.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 07:24:35 AM by Holykael1 » Logged

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2014, 08:57:12 AM »

Hey, I know there's not a whole lot of money in publishing RPG's, but that's the whole point. Not every game should need to sell millions of copies to be profitable. Games like Bravely Default won't lead to fame and fortune, but they have a loyal, build-in audience. Not just in Japan, but all over the world. This is something Square Enix figured out 20 years ago but somehow forgot.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2014, 09:32:15 AM »

I want to visit the alternate dimension where Square Enix *did* localize Bravely Default and find out which version is better.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2014, 09:45:06 AM »

Hey, I know there's not a whole lot of money in publishing RPG's, but that's the whole point. Not every game should need to sell millions of copies to be profitable. Games like Bravely Default won't lead to fame and fortune, but they have a loyal, build-in audience. Not just in Japan, but all over the world. This is something Square Enix figured out 20 years ago but somehow forgot.

Yeah sure but I feel like their statement is more PR talk than actual honesty.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2014, 11:46:29 AM »

Of course it's part PR talk, but if it was purely that it would have been easier not to say anything.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: