Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 11:05:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334759 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Wild Arms For PS4 still possible
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Wild Arms For PS4 still possible  (Read 2636 times)
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 10:08:43 PM »

Media.Vision has still been producing games, so a new Wild Arms is a definite possibility, unless they just flat-out lost interest in the franchise, which I think accounts for many RPG series being orphaned.

Masakado

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 11:17:05 AM »

I'd love to see another Wild Arms game, but I haven't liked where the writing for the past few have gone.  Not that any of the games ever were high literature to begin with, but I'd felt lukewarm towards the storytelling in 4 and 5.  I never did get around to finishing XF...

I couldn't agree more. I still play the original Wild Arms from time to time. There's something about that game, a certain fascination created by the art design and the gorgeous soundtrack. The second game in the series is unjustly underrated though I admit it's not very accessible. Wild Arms 3 is easily my favourite, followed by Alter Code F. The latter could have profitted much from voiced dialogue. I really hope therefore that a new WA game, be it on Vita or PS4 will take these two as a reference point.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 03:57:06 PM by Masakado » Logged

I'm finally on twitter. If you're a history buff and/or interested in video games history and random rpg stuff, check out @masakadojo.
King_Tetiro
Grandpa Pixel

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 03:14:33 PM »

You know, I have only played the first and I'll be playing the 3rd very soon. Would you say that 3 was the last great title?
Masakado

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 05:53:53 PM »

That's just my personal opinion, but I'd agree with that. Don't get me wrong, I liked both 4 and 5. They're definitely not bad games, but the writing and the overall atmosphere felt differently than in the first three games. Playing the original WA for a few hours made me realize why I fell in love with the series in the first place. It's that sense of adventurous spirit combined with the vast, desolated world of Filgaia. Wild Arms 3 is the apex of the series and I can't recommend it enough. Just listening to 'Long Days of Rest' from the OST makes me reminisce about those times.

I'm finally on twitter. If you're a history buff and/or interested in video games history and random rpg stuff, check out @masakadojo.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 06:52:28 PM »

Yeah I liked 4 and 5 enough (4 for the time slow-down mechanic, and 5 for a pretty decent time travel story...odd that they share 'time' stuffs).  But for whatever reason it started to go down this weird shonen manga route that made it feel less like the spaghetti west and more like this big action, over-the-top anime instead.  It was still a lot of fun, gameplay-wise, and it still looked/sounded great, but I prefer the more mild tone of the earlier titles.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 07:51:36 PM »

The plot writing in 4 was just bad. There were really interesting ideas, and the character interaction was pretty good, but the "Kids vs Adults" thing was really weird and the game occasionally dropped random bizarre elements in optional conversations. I remember that in some laboratory place, there was a completely out of place reference to evolution "just being a theory with no evidence". It was an optional thing that I got by accident, but it was just so random that it sticks in my mind.

In Wild Arms 5, the biggest problem is just that Dean isn't just an idiot hero. He's a complete moron.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 07:58:49 PM »

In Wild Arms 5, the biggest problem is just that Dean isn't just an idiot hero. He's a complete moron.

Agreed the plot got weird in 4, but I can't remember much more than that. 

I love the hell out of Dean's design, but hated him more and more as the game went on.  You're spot on in him being a complete dumbass as a person though.

Rebecca: DO. YOU. LIKE. ME?
Dean: I LIKE EVERYONE!!

His battle quotes were...peculiar too.  They were said really fast.
LETSGETEM.
WEDIDIT.
TAKETHAT.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 08:40:34 PM »

I found the enemy voices in 5 to be fairly abhorrent myself, particularly that weird thing you fight to get the ability to turn off random battles ("Right over there!" "Coming right up!").

Personally I'd like to see 2 with refined mechanics and a less shitty translation.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2014, 10:50:36 PM »

4 is one of those games that fist seems really kiddy and immature, but upon further consideration is much more well thought out than it initially seems.  The Kids vs Adults was really annoying my first time through, but when considering the game outside of, er, the game, it's a very sound theme, especially for the Japanese audiences where growing into a more traditional adult means that your freedom and dreams tend to be shed for responsibility.  The point really seemed to be showing that there are benefits to different lifestyles and decisions and sometimes one group can benefit from the other.  There is no right answer to everything and you have to look out of your comfort zone to find it.

I'm not sure if it's a message that resonates as well with Western audiences.

4's ending was depressing as hell, as well.  It's interesting, because despite 4 being very much thematically about being open-minded, it also is very fatalist.  You cannot escape becoming an adult, just as you cannot escape death.

I actually didn't really like 5.  At all.  I'm not sure what I didn't like about it, in the end, either.  
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:55:17 PM by Cyril » Logged
Masakado

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2014, 05:18:02 AM »

4 is one of those games that fist seems really kiddy and immature, but upon further consideration is much more well thought out than it initially seems.  The Kids vs Adults was really annoying my first time through, but when considering the game outside of, er, the game, it's a very sound theme, especially for the Japanese audiences where growing into a more traditional adult means that your freedom and dreams tend to be shed for responsibility.  The point really seemed to be showing that there are benefits to different lifestyles and decisions and sometimes one group can benefit from the other.  There is no right answer to everything and you have to look out of your comfort zone to find it.

That makes a lot of sense actually. I haven't viewed it from this angle yet. You're probably right in saying that it's a cultural thing.

By the way, let's not forget about Wild Arms XF. I'd include it into my pesonal top ten for the PSP. That's mainly because it can play it on my Vita and I sure love this shiny little device.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2014, 06:55:49 AM »

4's ending was depressing as hell, as well.  It's interesting, because despite 4 being very much thematically about being open-minded, it also is very fatalist.  You cannot escape becoming an adult, just as you cannot escape death.

I actually didn't really like 5.  At all.  I'm not sure what I didn't like about it, in the end, either.  
Except for the main character of 4, because he stays a kid at heart forever and ever because he is awesome and would never become something as evil as an adult (pretty sure that is word for word from the ending).

And frankly 5 is my favorite of the Wild Arms games, probably followed by Alter Code F.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2014, 09:41:45 AM »

2 will always be the best in my eyes. Knightblazer ftw!

TASTY!
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2014, 09:44:47 AM »

4 Had some surprisingly dark twists like
Judes mothers death. Raquel, and her ultimate fate isn't exactly the standard happy ending either, as you would expect they'd have a cure ready for her by the time the credits roll. It's not tragic though, and goes well with what they ware trying to do with the story and character.
I enjoyed the game a lot more than I thought I would, especially since I like explorable world maps.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Masakado

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2014, 10:34:30 AM »

Wild Arms 2 will always hold a special place in my heart. I was going through a very hard time in my life back then and the game helped me overcome that crisis. However I don't think I could play it with the same enthusiam anymore, some puzzles were downright awful.

But seriously how awesome were those opening movies, especially the parts with the trumpet playing?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:47:13 AM by Masakado » Logged

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2014, 01:03:43 PM »

Wild Arms 2 will always hold a special place in my heart. I was going through a very hard time in my life back then and the game helped me overcome that crisis. However I don't think I could play it with the same enthusiam anymore, some puzzles were downright awful.

But seriously how awesome were those opening movies, especially the parts with the trumpet playing?
Disc 2 opening was the best opening, fucking ever.

TASTY!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: