Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 03:03:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334764 Posts in 13710 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGs you're ashamed to like?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: RPGs you're ashamed to like?  (Read 6379 times)
Tintaglia

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2014, 01:34:29 AM »

Nope can't say I tried any of em. WRPG's, for the most part, just don't entice me. Dragon Age Origins was an exception basically because it reminded me of something Tolkien esque (my "token" western fantasy affinity if you will, ahahahahaha). After playing the hell out of DAO, I can say it really no longer seems akin to Middle Earth shtuffff in any sense save the genre, but certainly became something I appreciated.

I've looked into bioware's other games, both older and newer, and while I'm sure they are great they just don't call to me enough to play em. Mainly its simply the settings/universes I don't care for enough... EXAMPLE: KotOR- I can't stand star wars. There, I said it. Don't shoot please :)

I think we both have it in common that we find the setting important, and are into Tolkien.

I would actually still recommend giving them a chance. You might find them more interesting than what they first appear. I've never really liked  Forgotten Realms either, but Baldur's Gate 2 is my favorite RPG of all time. KotOR doesn't really feel all that much of a Star Wars game either. Bioware kind of give their own flavor to the IPs they don't own.
deathsaber

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2014, 10:11:32 AM »

People make DA2 to be way worse than what it was.  Did it have problems?  Yes.  Was the first game a better/deeper game?  Yes.  But still, most everybody got enjoyment out of DA2- and played it for its 40ish hour duration.  Was it a 7/10- yeah, but far from an abomination.  Obviously, the game was what it was because they cranked it out only 16 months after first game.  Truthfully, what we got was amazing, given the quick turnaround (and considering Origins got extensive and lengthy DLC expansion during this short wait)
King_Tetiro
Grandpa Pixel

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2014, 07:02:46 AM »

Sonic and the Dark Brotherhood. It is heavily overlooked. It was pretty damn good for what it is. The words Sonic and RPG don't normally sound good. This proved it wrong. I'm ashamed as I bought in the bargain bin.
deathsaber

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2014, 05:00:25 PM »

For me it was probably the first Hyperdimension Neptunia.  This was a bonofide broken game in terms of its gameplay/battle system.  Yet I kept coming back and played to completion- mostly because I enjoyed the characters and dialogue so much.  Just the crazy mix of weird antics, gaming references, inside jokes, and yes, fan service.  I remember they had one random scene where they encounter a hedgehog (obviously Sonic) leaving its old home (described in game as now being a pachinko company, obviously Sega) for a new one (nintendo).  The game was just full of these kinds of references which I thought were a hoot. 

Stragely enough, the sequels, which actually fixed the gameplay, did not catch me at all like the original did. 
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2014, 06:59:34 AM »

I think I am required to add Conception 2 now to this list considering how many pages that thread has gotten about people saying it is a bad game. :(
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2014, 07:11:43 PM »

Baroque on Wii.  Nobody I've witnessed to has liked it, but I think it's brilliant. 

I also liked Last Rebellion.

Closer to actual shame, though, would be my fondness of Time and Eternity.  I'm sure I'd have gotten less shit from my friends for playing any of the Neptunia games.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2014, 09:52:09 PM »

Baroque on Wii.  Nobody I've witnessed to has liked it, but I think it's brilliant.  

I also liked Last Rebellion.

Closer to actual shame, though, would be my fondness of Time and Eternity.  I'm sure I'd have gotten less shit from my friends for playing any of the Neptunia games.

I god I played some of Baroque on the PS2 last summer, and afaik that's the same as the Wii version, and I REALLY liked it. What I though it captured really well was the way stuff just went completely insane/off the rails -- something you'd see a lot in older PC roguelikes but something I think has been missing from more recent/reasonably designed games.

Youtube videos of the Saturn version make it look more atmospheric, but the 3rd person combat feels like it's way less obnoxious.

--- edit ---

I actually like Unlimited Saga, although I don't really like how the combat works -- I'm more into it for the dungeon crawling mechanics, because they're very Riviera-ish and I like Riviera.

My issue with the combat is mostly with how the weapon attacks are balanced, which is to say, because this is a Square game, they're not balanced at all. So every weapon type has 4-6 attack categories, which in turn have three to five levels of attacks within them. The problem is that the damage spread is completely arbitrary. You can't really say the Javelin tech set is better than the Grasshopper tech set -- there's some general tendencies that the attacks follow, like maybe Grasshopper does more damage but has less accuracy -- but it's usually subtle.

I guess the idea is that you're just supposed to experiment and observe what ends up doing more damage/hitting more, idk. I usually just stuck with unarmed and magic, because those were a lot more transparent in terms of what they did.

--- edit 2 ---

Speaking of legitimately shameful games though, was anyone else addicted to Helen Mirren's Super Puppy Abortionist Quest? Subject matter aside, I'm not even usually into grinding but somehow that roped me in.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:01:18 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2014, 08:30:52 PM »

Definitely the Kingdom Hearts games. I had to explain to my parents why "Under the Sea" from the first game (part of the HD 1.5 Remix) was coming from my room.

Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2014, 10:54:17 PM »

Definitely the Kingdom Hearts games. I had to explain to my parents why "Under the Sea" from the first game (part of the HD 1.5 Remix) was coming from my room.

You never, ever, ever need to be ashamed for liking Kingdom Hearts. Ever. EVER. Unless its Coded.

I am ashamed to say that I absolutely adored Hyperdimension Neptunia. Something about it just charmed from the get go.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Masakado

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2014, 09:50:29 AM »

I think everyone has his guilty pleasure which you wouldn't recommend wholeheartedly to your friends. Mine's is definitely Obsidian's spy-RPG Alpha Protocoll. I personally enjoyed it very much even though it's a wobbly, inconsistent game that gets a few things right. It's filled with so many awkward and glitchy bits you get the feeling that it should've spent way more time in development. If you thought shooting in Mass Effect 1 was imprecise, Alpha Protocoll's is even worse. But I adored the game nonetheless because of its nonlinear storytelling and the possiblity of influencing the personality of the protagonist through decisions. Thank you Obisidan.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 04:53:10 PM by Masakado » Logged

I'm finally on twitter. If you're a history buff and/or interested in video games history and random rpg stuff, check out @masakadojo.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2014, 11:15:27 AM »

I think a bit of wonkiness/glitchiness/lack of polish can add to the charm of a game (within reason -- if we're talking stuff that makes in unplayable, er, no).

I think there is such a thing as being too polished.

I think about eels more than I should I mean wait what.

--- edit ---

Oh, actual legit example. Opoona. Not because it was a poorly received game that I liked anyway, but because it has some... weird, casually misogynistic bits in it. Nothing really bad but it DID make me uncomfortable.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 07:36:00 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2014, 10:49:57 PM »

I think everyone has his guilty pleasure which you wouldn't recommend wholeheartedly to your friends. Mine's is definitely Obsidian's spy-RPG Alpha Protocoll. I personally enjoyed it very much even though it's a wobbly, inconsistent game that gets a few things right. It's filled with so many awkward and glitchy bits you get the feeling that it should've spent way more time in development. If you thought shooting in Mass Effect 1 was imprecise, Alpha Protocoll's is even worse. But I adored the game nonetheless because of its nonlinear storytelling and the possiblity of influencing the personality of the protagonist through decisions. Thank you Obisidan.

I just started playing this, and it's definitely a gem in the rough.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2014, 11:14:22 PM »

--- edit ---

Oh, actual legit example. Opoona. Not because it was a poorly received game that I liked anyway, but because it has some... weird, casually misogynistic bits in it. Nothing really bad but it DID make me uncomfortable.

But don't most RPGs in general have weird, casually misogynistic bits to them?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2014, 11:29:52 PM »

Closer to actual shame, though, would be my fondness of Time and Eternity.  I'm sure I'd have gotten less shit from my friends for playing any of the Neptunia games.

You are a better person than I am for being able to enjoy Time and Eternity.  I genuinely tried to like it, and even then couldn't last 2 hours.

I've spent a long time thinking of games I'm ashamed of liking and, while I'm not really ashamed to like what I like, I'd say the closest I get is Cross Edge.

I love the battle system (refined and overall better in Agarest 2) so much.  I can perfectly admit it's objectively bad elsewhere, but I'll defend its neat battle system quite fervently.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2014, 10:35:25 AM »

Time and Eternity has kind of a soft spot with me. Sure it isn't very good, but the story just makes so many dumb twists and turns, and everyone has such stupid motivations, that it starts moving into the so bad it's good category. It never really makes it, but for me at least it wasn't horrible. I don't recommend it, but since it was a birthday present, I didn't really lose anything.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: