Actually I'm vaguely annoyed with what I used to like when I was a teenager, because I liked it for stupid reasons. Like I used to hold up Daggerfall as some paragon of RPGs because it was really, uh, open and had random quests? Basically I was a pretentious little mofo.
Not ashamed about liking any of these, but uh here have some games I enjoyed that everyone else hated:
- I like Ultima 8 a lot. No, it's nowhere near as good as 7*, but I thought it had a genuinely interesting world to explore.
- I liked CC more than CT. And I could analyze why but I won't because the reason's pretty simple -- the emotional response that I used to get from CT is something that I now get from CC.
- SaGa is my favorite Square series, and I've enjoyed all of the SaGa games I've played. The only ones I haven't played are RS2, the GB game remakes, and the WSC card game that was sort of nominally part of the series.
- DQ7's maybe my third favorite DQ game.
- fwiw I like Contact, Opoona, and Time Stalkers. Also from what I played of that Treasure action RPG on the Genesis I really liked it, and having a shadow under your dude made platforming a LOT easier than in Landstalker.
* Given how much of a fan of U7 I am this isn't saying much, though ;)