Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 09:10:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327445 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGs you're ashamed to like?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: RPGs you're ashamed to like?  (Read 4112 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2014, 12:01:34 AM »

The only RPG I can remember being embarrassed while playing was Eternal Sonata.

But I didn't actually like it.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2014, 12:16:35 AM »

I was high as hell on pain meds when i played that games.  It ranks in my top 20 just because...ok, bad reason.

The story was retarded though.  How you make such a perfect world and butcher the story makes me so so so sad.  So I think it ranks here for me actually

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2014, 01:11:54 AM »

Dragon Quest VII has some really great plot arcs, the problem is the sheer amount of stuff you need to do in the game.

DQ7 was a game I played in bursts and I'd really recommend taking that kind of approach to it -- it's not something you want to shotgun.

I think Pinobee's the only game I have where I'm actually like "wtf did I buy this." And I guess that fits here because it has some nominal RPG qualities and I actually kind of like it.

I seriously have no idea why I bought it though.

Actually I do feel sort of ashamed about /hoarding/ games. I like to pretend they're my pets, because my actual pets are dead.

:|

:|

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2014, 12:39:04 PM »

When Grandia first came out for the Sega Saturn and I imported it, I was ashamed because it was all in Japanese and I couldn't explain to any of my roomates what was going on in the story.  The game was (and still is) awesome, so I regret nothing nowadays.

Nowadays, I think I might be ashamed of liking anything released by Working Designs.  Particularly the Lunar series, Growlanser Generations, and Vanguard Bandits.  They're all great games, but I also know that the localizers knowingly (and at times gleefully) went off the original script and displayed a lack of restraint when it came to their twisted sense of humor.  I hang around the anime/JRPG purist community enough that I do at times feel bad for liking those games when I should condemn Vic Ireland and his staff to eternal burning for mucking up the original script.  Then I have to remind myself that I just don't care, because WD's work made what would likely have been a dull script actually entertaining.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Tintaglia

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2014, 01:34:06 PM »

I liked FFX-2.

No, really! I love camp. It was so full of ham and cheese that it went way beyond being annoying and was just damn funny. Besides, I'm just easy to please with a job system and mission based structure.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2014, 07:30:41 PM »

When Grandia first came out for the Sega Saturn and I imported it, I was ashamed because it was all in Japanese and I couldn't explain to any of my roomates what was going on in the story.  The game was (and still is) awesome, so I regret nothing nowadays.

Nowadays, I think I might be ashamed of liking anything released by Working Designs.  Particularly the Lunar series, Growlanser Generations, and Vanguard Bandits.

GG didn't feel too off the rails to me -- apparently that and AtL were pretty faithful, although I remember they had to cut some text from AtL1 because it was coded weird. I'm aware that Lunar had a lot of changes but they never felt weird to me. Although the stuff they did with Mythe's tower was dumb.

Alundra was the really FFS GODDAMMIT one. I heard Albert Odyssey was way off too, but I don't care about Albert Odyssey

Also I'm curious how Dragon Force's English and Japanese scripts differ.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2014, 09:49:34 PM »

I liked FFX-2.

No, really! I love camp. It was so full of ham and cheese that it went way beyond being annoying and was just damn funny. Besides, I'm just easy to please with a job system and mission based structure.

I actually liked Final Fantasy X-2 more than FFX back when I first played it. Only thing I really remember disliking was that they replaced the awesome battle system from FFX with the ATB system from previous games. Nowadays I wouldn't like it as much, what with the mission-based system and, IIRC, the multitude of minigames (which I can't stand in RPGs). Though I'm not sure how necessary those minigames are. The game's also kind of a completionist's nightmare (though new game plus mitigates that somewhat), though I'm not much of a completionist, so I don't care.

I'd probably still enjoy it more than FFX, though...but that's not really saying much.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2014, 10:10:35 PM »

I was high as hell on pain meds when i played that games.  It ranks in my top 20 just because...ok, bad reason.

The story was retarded though.  How you make such a perfect world and butcher the story makes me so so so sad.  So I think it ranks here for me actually

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Eternal Sonata...maybe I should hang my head in shame....

Everything's Eventual
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2014, 10:16:33 PM »

With all the hate that FFXIII gets, I should be ashamed.

But I'm not.

LIGHTNING FOR LIFE.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2014, 11:32:53 PM »

I liked Working Designs translations. Gave the games  character and made them stand out.
Tintaglia

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2014, 01:11:02 AM »

I liked FFX-2.

I actually liked Final Fantasy X-2 more than FFX back when I first played it. Only thing I really remember disliking was that they replaced the awesome battle system from FFX with the ATB system from previous games. Nowadays I wouldn't like it as much, what with the mission-based system and, IIRC, the multitude of minigames (which I can't stand in RPGs). Though I'm not sure how necessary those minigames are. The game's also kind of a completionist's nightmare (though new game plus mitigates that somewhat), though I'm not much of a completionist, so I don't care.

I'd probably still enjoy it more than FFX, though...but that's not really saying much.

This... is the first time someone has the exact same opinion as me on FFX/FFX-2. *sniff*

I liked Working Designs translations. Gave the games  character and made them stand out.

I agree. People tend to forget that when those "infamous" translations came out, the general level of game localisations was pretty terrible. Even the bigger releases had broken English, random censorship was done without a second thought, etc. There was enough trouble getting translations that was understandable English, much less something that did any justice to the source material.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 01:17:40 AM by Tintaglia » Logged
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2014, 01:38:15 AM »

I liked FFX-2.

This.

I don't think I feel shame for liking unpopular RPGs. And X-2 is right up at the top of such a list. Camp was fine with me. The job system rocked, the battle system rocked, everything about it was super-fun.

I cannot wait to pick up X/X-2 HD and go nuts getting 100% achievements on both. Getting the "International" content is super exciting for me as well. :)

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2014, 05:31:19 PM »

Well I'm late to the party here but as they say "better late than never".

The only games I am remotely bashful about saying I love are the Final Fantasy installments I am a fan of and Dragon Age origins.

My reasoning is simple, it is completely misleading in terms of revealing anything about my personal tastes outside of the fact that I do enjoy RPGs.

I love Lunar, Tales, Persona, SMT, Breath of Fire, Secret of Mana and SD3, Hyperdimension Nep, Disgaea, Suikoden, Earthbound, Growlanser, Ni No Kuni and quite a few others I am neglecting to name... all of which accurately reflect my various tastes in terms of style and content. These games paint a clear picture for someone who doesn't know me as to what it is I appreciate. I have no problem expressing (with conviction) my love for these games because they are accurate reflections of me in some sense.

However, conversely if I say I love FF4, FF5, FF6, FF7 and Dragon Age Origins to a gamer who does not know me the wrong impression is conveyed. When this happens, I am more often then not assumed to be a fan of Kingdom Hearts, Elder Scrolls titles or various other WRPGS and occasionally Mass Effect. Those games are ALWAYS the common ground people try to reach with me when they discover my love of gaming and in truth those titles (while not bad) are REALLY not my cup of tea. For that matter, neither are latter entries in FF universe.

So while not actually an issue of shame, I prefer to keep my affinity for FF and Dragon Age under lock and key simply because it is terribly misleading.

The only media I really do not like to admit to appreciating, across the board, is that which I feel provides an erroneous sense of what I really in fact have a taste for.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2014, 05:35:06 PM »

Dragon Age origins

Nothing to be ashamed there.
If you had said DA2 though...
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2014, 06:00:38 PM »

I'm embarassed to say that I played ar tonelico around my family members once. Specifically,the first time you installed into what's her face.

With the sound on.

With a 13 year old sister at the time....

Not my proudest moment.

TASTY!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: