Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 01:13:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327753 Posts in 13419 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGs you're ashamed to like?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print
Author Topic: RPGs you're ashamed to like?  (Read 4188 times)
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2014, 06:14:55 PM »

Dragon Age origins

Nothing to be ashamed there.
If you had said DA2 though...

Yea, ashamed is not the right word for it... I don't know how to describe it really.

I love Origins I just feel like, even though that may be the case, I am somehow lying to people if I say I do because of what it conveys. In truth, western fantasy outside of DA Origins and Tolkien stuff is foreign to me.

I actually want to play DA2 someday. I sampled it. Loved the gameplay. Can't speak on anything else. I do occasionally end up loving some games that are typically regarded as terrible by most standards.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2014, 07:19:55 PM »

Dragon Age origins

Hey, I said DA2 on this very thread a few pages ago!  Aveline Vallen is a saint!  A SAINT!!!

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2014, 07:36:25 PM »

Dragon Age origins

Hey, I said DA2 on this very thread a few pages ago!  Aveline Vallen is a saint!  A SAINT!!!

A saint with the jaw of a man. You heard me !
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2014, 08:15:41 PM »

I think a lot of guys would probably be ashamed of enjoying outcome ( girl's side) love adventures/ dating sims (or ren'ai games in general), but I enjoy some.  For example, I enjoyed Hakuoki and Yo-Jin-Bo.

Heck, when given a choice in an RPG,  I always choose to play as the girl.  Even as a kid playing Spider-Friends with the neighbor kids, I'd have to play Firestar because the other kids picked Spider-Man and Iceman first.  But then I watched more and started thinking "Firestar is pretty and has cool powers" so later on, I'd enthusiastically say "I'm Firestar!" when playing.  And in my brief forays into tabletop, I'd create a girl character.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:20:11 PM by Dincrest » Logged

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2014, 08:26:22 PM »

Even as a kid playing Spider-Friends with the neighbor kids, I'd have to play Firestar because the other kids picked Spider-Man and Iceman first.

Who got stuck with being Miss Lion?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2014, 09:10:31 PM »

No one.  There were only 3 of us (all boys) so Firestar was the supposed short-shrift because we were all at that age when boys were boys, girls had cooties, etc.  But man, Miss Lion... that's a thought that never even occurred, though I would expect that from you.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 09:12:31 PM by Dincrest » Logged

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Tintaglia

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2014, 02:21:16 AM »

I love Origins I just feel like, even though that may be the case, I am somehow lying to people if I say I do because of what it conveys. In truth, western fantasy outside of DA Origins and Tolkien stuff is foreign to me.

I'm curious , but have you tried the older Bioware games, like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire...? Mass Effect is the odd man out in Bioware RPGs. The rest have much more in common with Dragon Age.

DA2 is not a bad game, just not a stellar one. I recommend pacing yourself with that one, or the repetition in the fights and dungeons will get to you.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2014, 06:56:39 AM »

Dragon Age origins

A saint with the jaw of a man. You heard me !
So? I still enjoyed DA2 more than DAO. That's right I said it.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2014, 07:11:02 AM »

I enjoyed both DA:O and DA2.  My complaints about DA2 are pretty much limited to the obvious things (dungeon reuse, boring encounter design with enemies spawning from nowhere, etc.), but I actually really liked what they were trying to do with the narrative.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2014, 08:05:02 AM »

I actually really liked what they were trying to do with the narrative.

I liked the narrative of the beginning, but the last chapter just destroyed any love I could have for the plot.
Al-Qada Anders doesn't help either.
Tintaglia

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2014, 10:55:26 AM »

I liked the narrative of the beginning, but the last chapter just destroyed any love I could have for the plot.

This.

I don't want to spoil the ending, but it sure was a bummer. As the wise philosopher Homer once said: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCLTRjF2eq0
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2014, 01:26:40 PM »

...Al-Qada Anders...

I had a chuckle at this and I needed a chuckle today.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2014, 03:12:19 PM »

I actually really liked what they were trying to do with the narrative.

Yeah, OK, I'll grant you that.  There were some pretty dumb twists there...

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2014, 04:43:40 PM »

I'm curious , but have you tried the older Bioware games, like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire...? Mass Effect is the odd man out in Bioware RPGs. The rest have much more in common with Dragon Age.

DA2 is not a bad game, just not a stellar one. I recommend pacing yourself with that one, or the repetition in the fights and dungeons will get to you.

Nope can't say I tried any of em. WRPG's, for the most part, just don't entice me. Dragon Age Origins was an exception basically because it reminded me of something Tolkien esque (my "token" western fantasy affinity if you will, ahahahahaha). After playing the hell out of DAO, I can say it really no longer seems akin to Middle Earth shtuffff in any sense save the genre, but certainly became something I appreciated.

I've looked into bioware's other games, both older and newer, and while I'm sure they are great they just don't call to me enough to play em. Mainly its simply the settings/universes I don't care for enough... EXAMPLE: KotOR- I can't stand star wars. There, I said it. Don't shoot please :)

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2014, 05:12:28 PM »

Probably Skyrim. Considering just how not-epic the game really is when you actually play it and how it fails to actuallly address any of the biggest problems in the series, from hilariously wooden acting to wonky combat to diminished systems, I should be saying it is among the worst modern RPGs I've played. It was just so bad, yet so good.

Generally I don't really care as long as I have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: