Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 06:11:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341085 Posts in 13940 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Stranger of the Village of the Sword
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Stranger of the Village of the Sword  (Read 1732 times)
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2014, 07:53:03 PM »

Kind of surprised this isn't a hot topic here, news or forum wise...

This game's picking up a lot of import buzz, with good reason.

Tsurugi no Machi no Ihoujin is being developed by Experience for the 360, Vita, and PC.

They're also known for the forthcoming Vita dungeon crawler Demon Gaze, and the Japanese-only cyberpunk DC series 'Generation Xth: Code Hazard'.

Only the art for this is way more Wizardry inspired than the anime tone of Demon Gaze, thankfully.

Trailer(subbed):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKIrrke0Uzg

This is the first official trailer for Tsurugi no Machi no Ihoujin, a first-person dungeon crawling RPG coming to the Xbox 360, PlayStation Vita, and Windows in Japan. Developed by Experience, who's best known for the upcoming Demon Gaze, as well as the Generation Xth series, Tsurugi no Machi no Ihoujin places you in the shoes of a passenger on a flight that mysteriously crashes and subsequently wakes up in Escalio, a mysterious town besieged by perpetual night. As the chosen Stranger, it becomes your job to deal with the impending Extinction that looms over the land and take on the Successors, immortal creatures that only you can put down for good.

http://ihoujin.jp/

Screens:

Huge res art:
http://ihoujin.jp/common/img/character/gld0.png
http://ihoujin.jp/common/img/character/kngt0.png
http://ihoujin.jp/common/img/character/kntr0.png

So yeah, hopefully if Demon Gaze does well, we can get this localized too.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
siveon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 01:53:43 AM »

Looks like an okay dungeon crawler. The art is nice, though the combat seems to lack any sort of ambition. Not a real bad thing for a dungeon crawler. I never tried it or even heard of this game until now, so it's really just a guess.

Can't imagine it garnering that much interest, the genre is almost as niche as Visual Novels at this point. A shame. Any pics of the maps or traps and the like? That's my favorite part with these type of games.

Their other game Demon Gaze might get a little attention because of the starving Vita RPG crowd at this point. Maybe it'll do well.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 06:49:13 AM »

Traps, yes. I'm curious about the maps too. I've played Generation Xth(and tested the translation no less), and the maps in that were pretty fun.

No need for a DC to reinvent the wheel, IMO. The little things are enough, and I really favor this art style over anime. EO is an exception.

This looks like a trap in action:

ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 01:14:01 PM »

Lovin' that art style. I'll be honest, I'd buy this game if it was in English based on the art.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 04:18:06 PM »

Huge fan of Dungeon Crawlers. The game looks great.

Wonder if the images are mirrored or if the artist is left handed. Two of the characters seem to be left handed as well as one of the monsters. The Dwarf may be as well. Not sure as it looks like a two handed weapon. Yay for the lefties!

Aww, just looked at the linked pictures and the first one seems to be right handed :(

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 05:10:40 PM »

It looks nice, but I'd have preferred less detailed sprites if it meant that they were animated. It bothers me that most of these dungeon crawlers have largely static battles - Phantasy Star had animated enemies back in 1987, but these enemies just seem to wobble up and down a bit.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 07:01:52 PM »

Does anyone know the name of the artist that does the portraits for the characters?
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 07:08:14 PM »

Huge fan of Dungeon Crawlers. The game looks great.

Wonder if the images are mirrored or if the artist is left handed. Two of the characters seem to be left handed as well as one of the monsters. The Dwarf may be as well. Not sure as it looks like a two handed weapon. Yay for the lefties!

Aww, just looked at the linked pictures and the first one seems to be right handed :(

They're not mirrored. You can see Arabic numerals and the occasional english word.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 07:10:38 PM »

It looks nice, but I'd have preferred less detailed sprites if it meant that they were animated. It bothers me that most of these dungeon crawlers have largely static battles - Phantasy Star had animated enemies back in 1987, but these enemies just seem to wobble up and down a bit.

I kind of agree, I've seen a few of these RPGs with what I'd call "over-detailed" graphics, and to me it just looks really messy and loud.
Belmondo of Blood

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 11:57:39 AM »

I'm on the side of the fence that I love the art style.  Great music and sound design in general can really help a game like this.  Character creation/customization also, as with the Etrian series.  Even if this ends up being a by the number dungeon crawler for battles, I'll definitely support it if I can!

Traps, yes. I'm curious about the maps too. I've played Generation Xth(and tested the translation no less), and the maps in that were pretty fun.

No need for a DC to reinvent the wheel, IMO. The little things are enough, and I really favor this art style over anime. EO is an exception.

This looks like a trap in action:

-Side Note-
Oooo, my copy of Generation Xth has been woefully collecting dust for a while now, how's that translation going??
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 10:32:02 AM »

Gen Xth was finished a few weeks back.

http://kudomuramasa.foramu.net/t49-final-release-full-version-05a-3-2014

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »