Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 07:56:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341140 Posts in 13943 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  VG Art Topic
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: VG Art Topic  (Read 1946 times)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2014, 03:14:16 AM »

This is so overdue it hurts.

Videogame art!  Some don't see games as art, I sure as hell do ---- there's is so much that goes into.

SO: CONCEPT ART, CG IMAGES, PROMO ART, FAN ART, and even SCREENSHOTS!!

Show off art, talk about it, criticize, hate, love, fashionabluh, whatever you want!!!!

Disclaimer: I think it goes without saying: No Hentai, no lewd, nor anything too stupid --- the latter is fine if it's in decent taste, but it might belong at the R&A Pictures thread.

A Great Site for VG Art:
http://www.creativeuncut.com/

Good Image Hosting Site (if a URL doesn't allow hotlinking):
http://i.imgur.com/ (also great for easy re-size)
http://photobucket.com/

Allow me to start:

I don't really care as much (or as hard) for Megaman as most do, and I suck at the titles I have played.  But I love the artists who work at Capcom, and I love this piece in particular.  It's surprisingly mysterious for a Megaman shot, a sort-of "calm before the storm" or a moment of rest for the team.  I like how it's just Megaman in a sort of unnatural/untypical pose while Axl faces out and Zero checks the rear.  There is a great sense of dimension because of the triangle-position they occupy and I just think it's a cool looking picture with a ton of atmosphere.  

It's not secret, I think Valyrie Profile is an amazing title, and the artwork is almost perfect as well.  Specifically, I think Lenneth is a great heroine (one of the few leading ladies who absolutely kills it as a tough, confident, but emotional too when the time called for it).  I think her main artwork is *perfect*, simply perfect.  It strikes a perfect balance between a somewhat anime look and realism; the muscles work very well, and the armour details are fine and perfectly drawn.  The contrast is strong and dramatic, and I love how the metal plates at the bottom of her dress reflect stronger as they come closer to the viewer, and the way these "coins" wrap around her legs.  It also feels kind of Renaissance-y, there's almost an over-abundance of creases and draping in her dress.  Anyways, the armour feels real, I love it!

IMO the best tile screen for a Game ever.  It's simple, uncluttered (funny enough,  despite the efforts, the "press start" is mildly distracting), and the music is lovely.  A lot of Xenoblade probably belongs in this thread though.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 09:23:46 AM »

^ I love Valkyrie Profile art, too. My desktop background for the past couple of years has been the screenshot of Lenneth with her wings outspread in front of that giant moon.

Speaking of desktop backgrounds, one of my favorite things to do in the .Hack games was collecting the artwork for your in-game "desktop". One of my favorites was from .Hack//GU -

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 05:00:18 PM »

My desktop image was:

for a long time but I recently switched to:

Love Ayami Kojima's work and Rising's artwork is badass.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 07:15:02 PM »

@Klutz I've liked the interesting designs in the .hack series.  They work well in the world (no pun intended) and generally flow and match well.  How awesome is it that they can recycle designs too. :P  But it works!  The alternate colour schemes, when they happen, work just as well to diversify characters!
I think Alkaid gets my vote for fav.  She shows off her body, and her hair is whack... but it's great colour choices and an outfit that just works well that does it for me.

My desktop image was:

for a long time but I recently switched to:

Love Ayami Kojima's work and Rising's artwork is badass.

Ayami Kojima is amazing.  Sometimes her artwork can get a bit "flowery" (in that shoujo-ish way), but it's so elegant, brilliantly drawn, and fits so damn well with the vampire series.
I was visibly angry when they switched to that awful generic anime style.

The bottom who looks angry because the cafeteria ran out of those spicy cutlets again!!! Damn!!!!

I also had no problem with the nice anime/realism blend in Hirooka's work either; Shanoa was a stunning addition to the cast:

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 07:21:29 PM »

Tbh I don't mind the anime look in Dawn of Sorrow and PoR, it doesnt look like "generic" big eyed girls anime and that's the type of artstyle I don't care for. Im a fan of the three styles but Ayami's style is my favourite no competition.

Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 10:33:27 PM »

Thread of the year right here. Calling it now.

I see myself returning to this thread quite a bit as I've a lot to share and say on the subject. But to begin...

I don't really care as much (or as hard) for Megaman as most do, and I suck at the titles I have played.  But I love the artists who work at Capcom,

I must comment in agreement here. In fact EVERY time I've found myself attracted to playing the X franchise it is purely due to the art. It usually only takes a few stages for me to remember I don't care for mega man, robots, or anything (with the exception of zero). I know I will perpetually search to connect my love of the art with actually PLAYING the games. I've even fallen victim to occasionally indulging Street Fighter titles for this very same reason.

And on that note, the ultimate example of my love of art NOT coinciding with my love of the gaming experience has to be Agarest Wars.

Both the concept art, and in game styling is top notch. The gaming experience itself is anything but... I tried so hard to love this series for the art but it just didn't happen.

Now when my love of art and style is in line with my love the game itself it equates to gaming perfection for me. With that in mind, here is one of my favorite Mana illustrations.

The beauty of the Mana art to me is the result of uber-dynamic color palettes in everything from NPC's to environments coupled with an almost DarkCrystal/Hensen meets anime "mood" to the whole package.

There is a TON more I want to share and express on this subject but I'm pressed for time right now. I will return later/tomorrow and probably the next day to give this thread proper attention.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:42:04 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 03:16:02 AM »

The Mana series has some of the prettiest colours <3 Way back, when my laptop's resolution was like 800x600 (even less?) I liked to use background from Legend of Mana as my wallpaper. There's just something magical about that artstyle and I love how well it translates to actual game graphics, even way back in the days of Secret of Mana. And these games still look good. 2D done right just doesn't seem to age.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 12:13:39 PM »

This topic deserves more attention, therefore I shall provide more contribution to the cause.

I absolutely love Breath of Fire 3's art style, it's one of my favourites in video games(I know I know what a shocker lol):

The character designs are masterful, they are colourful, bright and brimming with personality and charm.

Just look at how badass Ryu and Nina are... cmon!

Tell me with a straight face that Peco isn't the most adorable thing ever.. Just try me. Talk shit about Peco and you will become my arch nemesis.

Goddamn look at these in game graphics.. just gorgeous. The detail on the sprites is insane.. the dragon forms all look amazing.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 12:19:37 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 12:59:22 AM »

@Klyde

On one hand I hate the Agarest's drawing of girls, and more girls, and MORE girls, and usually a trope of each type.  But the designs are so unique and brilliantly drawn and coloured that I can't help but to look.  Plus, I love the "generational differences" made by each new protagonist (I think it's usually just hair colour --- but I love nonetheless for that detail).

@ Klyde and Tomara

Hands down, one of my favorite art book purchases with the dual-feature for Seiken Densetsu 4 and Child of Mana.  Mixed results for the actual game aside, the artwork within is some of the most spectacular stuff I've ever seen.
And I do love that a lot of Tree of Mana artwork is ...basically pointillism.  Circles, oblong, ovals, etc.

@ Holy

I fucking love the Breath of Fire series.  I have the complete works artbook, and I might buy it again when UDON releases theirs in English.  Anyways, the talent is there, the ideas are great, the concept art is amazing, and the sprites are PERFECT...but I find under appreciated.  For one, their ridiculous attention to frames of animation (IV) and the amount of colour (III) is really something else.  The usual "motley crew" of Breath of Fire titles inspires a lot of great characters, so I agree with your points completely (ironically, the main two hero/ine being the least unique), and that main BoFIII artwork is perfect... Actually, I love all of the "main" promo images, they're amazing.  I actually get a bit upset that the sprite work didn't follow the artwork that well.  Nina being the obvious offender here; the shades of pink really bothered me, I love her artwork so much more.

Not to deny how right you are about the dragon enemies, they are amazing...I was actually most impressed by that stupid "gazer" boss in the Lighthouse (iirc).

LOOK AT IT!!! OMG.  I love that they really sell the idea of how "round" the eye is.  The iris also protrudes a bit, bending the light.  We also get the sense of depth that the iris is flatter than the rest of the eyeball.

Also, this is neither here nor there really, but Momo is my favourite "super scientist" type.

Also adding some Breath of Fire IV:

Given how Fou Lu and Ryu are related, I wish they made the point a bit better in their designs.... nevertheless, Fou Lu was a super interesting character.  This animation, one of few I can find for this title sadly, is a good emphasis on how splendid the animation is for the title.  But what amazes me most is that this same amount of animation-TLC is in *every* animation and for every character.  

I *love* the Drakengard artist (Fujisaka Kimihiko).  The attention to detail, armour, weapons, and creating a nice hybrid design between anime and realism (though, Drakengard 3 felt more in the former category...which feels kinda off for the series being as dark/gloomy as it is, the sisters were like Evil Rainbow Bright).

Anyways, I adore this picture.  It's a popular image (even by the standards of a relatively unpopular game --- infamy aside), but what's wrong with more detail?  I think it's BRILLIANT that markings appear on relevant parts of the person and reference their "pact price" (Caim's tongue to indicate his muteness, Leonard on his eyes to indicate he's been blinded, Arioch on her abdomen as she lost her ability to conceive, Verdelet....his...hair, I guess).  Anyways, I think it's an impressive image that inspired curiosities (if you don't know the character) and gives off a good sense of cool and attitude (to those familiar with the context).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 01:03:17 AM by Dice » Logged

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 03:14:30 AM »

But what amazes me most is that this same amount of animation-TLC is in *every* animation and for every character. 

What might be even more amazing is that Breath of Fire IV is one of the few game to recieve a really good manga adaptation. The artist obviously put a lot of effort in making the characters come alive on paper. They are so expressive, especially Nina. You can tell exactly what she's thinking just by looking at her face. (Which is a good thing in my case, because I got the French edition but my French is extremely rusty!) Of course characters like Fou-lu are as hard to read as they should be.

Speaking of sprites in game, the ones in Odin Sphere are absolutely amazing (and I love most of the character designs, which is something I sadly can't say about Muramasa and Dragon's Crown. I mean, those are still well drawn, but there's anothing subtle about them.). They look nice in screenshots, sure, but you have to see them in the game itself to really appreciate them. You have to see them move. If you see one of those giant bosses your mind will zip from 'that's amazing!' to 'oh shit, i'm gonna die...' and back. It's like a gorgeous pixel puppet theatre.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 06:39:08 AM »

Tell me with a straight face that Peco isn't the most adorable thing ever.. Just try me. Talk shit about Peco and you will become my arch nemesis.
I guess I am your arch-nemesis then because he looks horrifying to me. Like an old man's head with tiny legs. Personally I'm not a big fan of BoF3's art style. *shrug*

@Klyde

On one hand I hate the Agarest's drawing of girls, and more girls, and MORE girls, and usually a trope of each type.  But the designs are so unique and brilliantly drawn and coloured that I can't help but to look.  Plus, I love the "generational differences" made by each new protagonist (I think it's usually just hair colour --- but I love nonetheless for that detail).
Usually it is just hair color and clothing color, but you do the sons of the winged girls who end up with wings also.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 06:56:31 AM »

I guess I am your arch-nemesis then because he looks horrifying to me. Like an old man's head with tiny legs. Personally I'm not a big fan of BoF3's art style. *shrug*

@Klyde

On one hand I hate the Agarest's drawing of girls, and more girls, and MORE girls, and usually a trope of each type.  But the designs are so unique and brilliantly drawn and coloured that I can't help but to look.  Plus, I love the "generational differences" made by each new protagonist (I think it's usually just hair colour --- but I love nonetheless for that detail).
Usually it is just hair color and clothing color, but you do the sons of the winged girls who end up with wings also.

NOOOOOOOOOO!! YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE.
How can one resist this - http://youtu.be/Z1O-6Cbpwww?t=1m9s (Watch 5 sec, just look at Peco's attack animation and the sound he makes, he is so cute xD)
I kid ofc, I guess I am the weird one, I have a fascination for Peco ever since I was a kid.

@Dice

Fully agree with you, Breath of Fire 4 is probably even more impressive as far as animation and sprite work goes.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 07:05:30 AM by Holykael1 » Logged

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 03:43:16 PM »

Hands down, one of my favorite art book purchases with the dual-feature for Seiken Densetsu 4 and Child of Mana.  Mixed results for the actual game aside, the artwork within is some of the most spectacular stuff I've ever seen.
And I do love that a lot of Tree of Mana artwork is ...basically pointillism.  Circles, oblong, ovals, etc.

+1'ing this. Really the first game I encountered with amazing art.

As for BoF, I've always preferred 2's character designs over 3's.

This is probably the one area I've never really seen indie games ever do well in. While the spread varies wildly from pretty good to aggressively terrible, I feel like the indie game average right now sits firmly at barely serviceable.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 05:51:55 PM »

MOARRRR ARTWORKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Amano artwork is so good... I have the Sky Art collectiion of books, love them to death. His style looks really surreal and it fits conceptually with the FF games sow well.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 05:54:08 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 06:12:05 PM »

+1'ing this. Really the first game I encountered with amazing art.

As for BoF, I've always preferred 2's character designs over 3's.

This is probably the one area I've never really seen indie games ever do well in. While the spread varies wildly from pretty good to aggressively terrible, I feel like the indie game average right now sits firmly at barely serviceable.

I think Breath of Fire II was when I started to love video game art (that I remember *adoring* the clay versions of Secret of Mana art).  Look! Flamee's got real feathers! :D

First, this image is amazing.  Nina II is hands down my favourite design for going black and moody, but not abandoning what makes her such a catch (against say Lulu form Final Fantasy X who *embodies* it).  In this picture, her distinct black wings really absorb the light from the rest of the piece.  It's amazing.  But every main element of the game is in the piece and in no less a dynamic pose than the character beside them.  Except Bleu/Deis who's just smokin' pipe in the back

Credit where it's due though Nina V was a risky design that I think worked really well.

In the older art, I loved the size differences in the main cast.  Rand himself commands the image so well, but performs as quite a gentle giant (I think his mum's death was the first time I cried over a game).

@Holy

Yeah that's gotta be my favorite Amano-FF-related piece along with the last Terra picture.  I used to hate his style, but now I think it's so unique and adds mysticism to the final fantasy worlds.  It hasn't really jones'd well with more modern titles, but I dig it.

The contrast here really works for me, plus that bright red and traces of pastel colouring that edges between the white and black helps to bring her out and create a real beautiful piece.  Also, Japanese character design is largely missing both women and men with curly hair.

What might be even more amazing is that Breath of Fire IV is one of the few game to recieve a really good manga adaptation. The artist obviously put a lot of effort in making the characters come alive on paper. They are so expressive, especially Nina. You can tell exactly what she's thinking just by looking at her face. (Which is a good thing in my case, because I got the French edition but my French is extremely rusty!) Of course characters like Fou-lu are as hard to read as they should be.

Speaking of sprites in game, the ones in Odin Sphere are absolutely amazing (and I love most of the character designs, which is something I sadly can't say about Muramasa and Dragon's Crown. I mean, those are still well drawn, but there's anothing subtle about them.). They look nice in screenshots, sure, but you have to see them in the game itself to really appreciate them. You have to see them move. If you see one of those giant bosses your mind will zip from 'that's amazing!' to 'oh shit, i'm gonna die...' and back. It's like a gorgeous pixel puppet theatre.

I agree about the character design aspect.  I thought they took on a great new "norse reality" in Odin Sphere, but simply bit into the "proper" way to draw characters for Muramasa and Dragon's Crown.  I can fault them on design, but definitely not animations --- I'm glad that's one area they've never been lazy in.  Like BoFIV, the devil's in the details, and they took on that challenge.

I'm curious about this Breath of Fire IV manga though....

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: