Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 11:39:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340939 Posts in 13934 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  VG Art Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: VG Art Topic  (Read 1921 times)
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 08:10:08 PM »

I like Amano's style for the older FF's, but for the newer ones (even 6) where the series found it's stride as a setting that straddles Fantasy and Sci-Fi, I think it just looks odd.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 08:13:36 PM »

I think it still fits 6 steampunk settng and 9 but yeah apart from those I'll have to agree. Though the covers still look excellent with his artwork, one of my favourites is XIII-2's with Caius and Lightning.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 10:10:02 PM »

So I have to wonder, does anyone else remember The Magic Box?

That used to be an image host website, right?

Edit: And because it came up in the Game Journal, I would like to point out that I really like the character designs for the Suikoden series (generally speaking).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:58:35 PM by Aeolus » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 02:05:34 AM »

Suiko definitely has lovely art.  I wonder if they work in teams on that one?  Not just because of the quantity of characters, but I find it hard to think one artist has such a diverse imagination for so many unique characters....

I saw the Demon Gaze review on the site.  Got annoyed.  Looks like the same artist who was responsible for this ridiculous ensemble on Saber:

PANTSUUUUUU. >___>

I actually get less annoyed by more deliberately revealing outfits.  THis is just impractical and silly looking.  HERE'S UNDERWEAR is all I get from it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 02:10:38 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 03:08:23 AM »

I'm curious about this Breath of Fire IV manga though....

It was translated by fans and that's pretty much the only way to read it when Japanese is not an option. I just checked and even the French volumes are crazy expensive now.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 07:23:37 AM »

MOAAAAAAAAAAAR ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT(Read this in a pirate voice)

The Souls series has some of the best dark fantasy art direction out there. Phenomenal and it all translates perfectly to the actual game, it's one of the reasons why the games are so compelling, the world is extremely gripping and immersive.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 07:37:03 AM by Holykael1 » Logged

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 01:51:55 PM »

Suiko definitely has lovely art.  I wonder if they work in teams on that one?  Not just because of the quantity of characters, but I find it hard to think one artist has such a diverse imagination for so many unique characters....

I saw the Demon Gaze review on the site.  Got annoyed.  Looks like the same artist who was responsible for this ridiculous ensemble on Saber:

PANTSUUUUUU. >___>

I actually get less annoyed by more deliberately revealing outfits.  THis is just impractical and silly looking.  HERE'S UNDERWEAR is all I get from it.

I can't imagine more than the one person working on Suki's character designs (for 2 through 5) given how generally unified the overall designs look and how few characters that generally look like fetishized trainwrecks despite the many many opportunities for them. In comparison, FE:Awakening's DLC character designs were all over the place from awesome (DrakenRoy) to awful (Fate/Stay:Boobwindow Micaiah).

Also, how did you not notice Demon Gaze's awful character designs are until now?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 02:00:32 PM »

I kind of like the Demon Gaze character designs... and not just in a perverted way, either.
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 07:13:42 PM »

I kind of like the Demon Gaze character designs... and not just in a perverted way, either.

I know exactly what you mean. I feel precisely the same about the Agarest titles (which I referenced earlier in this thread) along with (but to a lesser degree of appreciation for) the Neptunia series and a lot of idea factory/compile hearts titles.

I feel like a lot of the artists talent involved with these games far exceeds the rest of Dev teams in their respective roles. In other words, they all prove way prettier than they do enjoyable to actually play. But that is beside the point and something I already touched upon...

However, what I care to point out is that I feel it unfortunate that the artistic integrity inherent in these games gets overshadowed by the fact the content is in fact "pervy" by some peoples standards. Niche, pervy, loli or otherwise, the anime aesthetic in some of these games is downright gorgeous.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 08:27:41 AM »

I love the designs of the Colossi in Shadow of the Colossus. I would post a picture of them but I find they seem a lot more impressive in the game itself. A screen shot just doesn't capture them as well as seeing them in motion for me.

A lot of people have already mentioned Breath of Fire but one thing I really liked was how different all of the avatars of the Endless look. Would have been easy for Capcom to just make them hooded figures and call it a day.

I really like the character designs from Atelier Ayesha and how normal looking a lot of them seem( a certain witch is excluded)

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 06:11:13 PM »

And now for a little word art appreciation:

Every time I look at it I find more to love about it. It fits in nicely with the thematic style of the game. It's got that whimsical Halloween-ish look so perfect, and I like how well some of the elements of the game are silhouetted and integrated into the logo.

The Japanese logo also does this very well:

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:12:51 PM by Klutz64 » Logged
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 09:16:39 PM »

PANTSUUUUUU. >___>

I wasn't a fan of Saber's outfit in this game. Much preferred her traditional outfit that was cool.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 09:44:44 PM »

Just started a few weeks ago, and my camera/lighting are so-so.
Chibiterasu
That's the only picture so far that's not completely blurry or done with really soft colors.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2014, 04:12:15 PM »

For me, it begins and ends with Final Fantasy Tactics.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2014, 08:35:06 PM »

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: