Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 04:58:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334853 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Yoshi's Island 2 DS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Yoshi's Island 2 DS  (Read 1716 times)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2006, 03:28:30 PM »

Did anyone pick up this title?

I have no clue when it came out, but I was sitting on my couch today playing NSMB and it hit me that this game was supposed to come out sometime around now.  Lone and behold, it's out.

Impressions anyone?  I'm thinking of just picking it up myself.  I already have enough on my Christmas list.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 03:33:30 PM »

I'll wait to hear what others will say. One of the complaints I heard of sounds like a serious fault, the strip between the top and bottom screens fucking up aiming, but I need to check whether it blocks out a part of the viewing area so you have a blind spot, or if the area's more or less divided in half and can just throw you off when aiming.
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 12:08:17 PM »

From what Gfaq users are saying, it seems to be more of a dead spot where as you can't see what's there.

It's retarded, but I think I'm going to pick up this game anyway.  I don't think I'm going to be a completionist with it considering how many other games I have to play on the ps2 at the moment.  The deadzone issue hopefully shouldn't matter much if I'm not searching for that 100% every level.

Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 05:42:53 PM »

Double Post for Impressions:

I picked this up over the weekend and after completing the first three worlds, it's pretty good.  It's very similar to the SNES version.  The levels are big, which is kind of nice.  You get different babies which you can switch in and out at designated stations (there are a lot of stations so no worries so far).  Each baby has its own special abilities.  What's nice is that so far, the game does not require you to use a certain baby if you don't want to.  There are some parts where it is necessary to switch to get up to a ledge, but often there is another way you can make it up.  Also, there is usually a baby switch station near the place in case you need to switch.

Concerning the gameplay, if you were worried about the split screen -- do not fret.  Yes, there is a "dead zone" between screens which isn't terribly large.  I'd say it's a little bit bigger than a game flower (same as the ones in the snes game where you collected 5 per level).  However seeing the screen can be remedied in at least 3 ways.  The screen does move with Yoshi so if you jump up on something, the screen will follow Yoshi and generally will keep him in the same place on the screen.  Second, holding the up button will allow you to move the screen up to look and it will stay like this until you hold down to set it back to normal.  Lastly, if you hold the x and down/up arrow, you can flip screens.  This is handy as it not only lets you see into the deadzone but it will give you a good view of what is above/below you if are on the very bottom/top of the screen.

Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 11:02:21 PM »

I was thinking about getting this as I LOVED the first Yoshi's Island. I'm not worried about the dead zone issue as it didn't bother me in Mario And Luigi: Partners In Time. I was more worried about the gameplay and techniques because if I'm right, nintendo did not make this game, right?
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 10:13:20 AM »

While I don't see anything other than Nintendo plastered on the box and instruction booklet, I believe you are correct.  Even though Nintendo may not have made it, it has stayed true to the original game.  The only real differences so far are the different babies and bigger levels.  The gameplay control on this game is unbelievably tight.  The only issue that may come up in the late levels is backtracking -- or so I hear.  This may only apply if you're going for a 100 in that level.

Also worth mentioning is that as far as I can tell, red coins can no longer be distinguished from regular coins.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: