Author Topic: New "FROM SOFTWARE" and "SONY JAPAN" game for ps4  (Read 12033 times)

Masakado

• View Profile
Re: New "FROM SOFTWARE" and "SONY JAPAN" game for ps4
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 08:34:20 AM »
Hey everyone,
I'm new to the RPGFan boards. Although I've been reading the site for a long time (and listening to both Random and Rhythm Encounter from the start) I decided to register only recently. RPGFan is by now my number one source for rpg news and reviews. It's very nice to meet you all.

Back to topic:
I'm also a huge fan of the Souls games and very excited about a possible Demon's Souls II. I think there will be significant changes to the formula. After all we see a guy with a shotgun or some kind of muzzle loader which suggests a new setting (steampunk/victorian) or new game mechanics. My guess is that it's going to be another spin-off. Since Dark Souls was originally called Project Dark, one can assume that Project Beast will be Beast Souls. Besides there's the fact that if it's a new Demon's Souls it's going to be PS4 exclusive, because the rights belong to Sony. I remember that Sony said that they didn't believe in the ip at the beginning which was a big mistake. It's not unlikely that Sony will show a trailer of Demon's Souls II at the next press conference. On the other hand I'd understand if From Software and Bandai Namco announce that there will be a multi-platform game called Beast Souls. Then again there's no reason not to name it Dark Souls.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 03:52:07 PM by Masakado »
I'm finally on twitter. If you're a history buff and/or interested in video games history and random rpg stuff, check out @masakadojo.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 12:13:06 AM »
Should call it Dead Souls and tie it in w/ the awesome song from Joy Division (or NIN) of the same name

Masakado

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 07:19:15 AM »
Should call it Dead Souls and tie it in w/ the awesome song from Joy Division (or NIN) of the same name

That together with a Van Helsing design would be awesome. But it wouldn't be a spiritual successor to Demon's Souls any more.

Is it just me or are those screenshots really looking good, as far as one can tell? I like that the graphics seem to be more detailed (what I somehow expect from a next gen game). Because the Souls games are so much based on atmosphere, I'd be happy if the new game could make a great visual impact. For example it would be nice if they'd just implement the lighting enging which they had planned for Dark Souls II so that really dark areas are only illuminated by oneself. That would definitely intensify the horror feeling. Does anyone remember the tower in Demon's Souls which was completely dark and you couldn't see a thing? That was really scary.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 03:53:52 PM by Masakado »
I'm finally on twitter. If you're a history buff and/or interested in video games history and random rpg stuff, check out @masakadojo.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 12:11:37 PM »
Dark Souls 2 was basically a new King's Field game, but with a different name and a shiny coat of Souls paint.  The structure was almost entirely identical.

I have never been interested in the souls games until I read that.

I played the first Kings Field released on the Ps1 when I was but a wee lad.... changed my life.

I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 12:23:25 PM »
It's mostly Dark Souls 2 that shares the structural similarities with King's Field, but Demon's and 1 do have minor similarities as well.  If you like the progression/exploration of King's Field you probably would like Souls, as the series is pretty much the spiritual successor to it.

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 07:20:58 PM »
It's mostly Dark Souls 2 that shares the structural similarities with King's Field, but Demon's and 1 do have minor similarities as well.  If you like the progression/exploration of King's Field you probably would like Souls, as the series is pretty much the spiritual successor to it.

Can I jump right in at 2 or is 1 necessary to the experience?

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 07:48:45 PM »
The only From Software game I liked was Enchanted Arms, and I didn't care much for Demon's Souls (no pause feature = bad idea), so I can't say I'm excited.
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

Every man is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts.
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

DPB

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 08:35:41 PM »
Can I jump right in at 2 or is 1 necessary to the experience?

You could, but I don't really see the point in skipping 1, they play very similarly - if you like one you'll almost certainly like the other. Plus the original will be a lot cheaper too, seeing as it came out a few years ago.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2014, 08:58:07 PM »
The only From Software game I liked was Enchanted Arms, and I didn't care much for Demon's Souls (no pause feature = bad idea), so I can't say I'm excited.

That's kinda of a weird reason to not like a Souls game.

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2014, 09:54:51 PM »
blah blah blah

Not being able to pause a real-time action RPG in my opinion is a pretty fucking serious flaw, especially if the action doesn't stop while you're browsing the game menus or want to take a break due to some interruption in real life. I can understand how the game can't be pausable in online play, but for offline play, there's simply no excuse.

That and I couldn't beat the game without utilizing the item duplication cheat on experience-granting items.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:12:47 PM by Der Jermeister »
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

Every man is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts.
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2014, 10:16:46 PM »
You're complaining that you can't pause a primarily online game.  Are you serious?

I actually never really found no  pausing to be an issue after my first few levels of Demon's.  You just clear the local area you're in, then turn the game onto the menu.  In fact, you don't even need to do that, if you kill enemies then you can just  idle in place. If an emergency happens, or a phone call, you just take your death, since death isn't a particularly huge deal once you've played a bit.  Usually you don't need to unless it's a boss, and that's what you have shortcuts for.

The last part is mostly an issue with you and not the game.

To Klyde:
They are relatively self-contained besides a few references.
I'm honestly not sure if you'll like Dark Souls 1 as much simply because it doesn't seem, at first glance, as much "King's Field-esque."  When you've already played the game you'll start seeing how open it is, but a first run of it blindly (which is really how it's meant to be played) seems a bit more linear.  Dark Souls 2, like Demon's Souls, tends to seem more open and non-linear from the get-go.

Let's see if I can explain this:
Demon's: Hub world with completely separate and unattached areas, the only connection is to the hub.
Dark 1: Metroidvania, really. Many interconnected passages through unexpected areas leading to new shortcuts.
Dark 2: A hand.  Hub with long finger-like pathways and a few connections between them (mostly early on).

But, as said, Dark 1 is a cheaper game than Dark 2.  But so is Demon's Souls.  Dark 1 and Demon's don't really have the same King's Field atmosphere, in my opinion. I'd personally say wait for it to drop in price if you want it for the atmosphere.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:24:57 PM by Cyril »

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 10:22:25 PM »
blah blah blah

Is it really that hard to leave a quote alone when you're only quoting that short of a message? That just makes you look condescending as hell.

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 10:42:43 PM »
Thanks for the Soul advice. It actually sounds as though 1 maybe more up my alley even though I was a kings field fan.

Last question.

I did play Demon's. Quite a bit actually... and it frustrated me to no end. That is why I never really looked into Souls. Is Souls a bit more forgiving? I know the games draw is the intentionally brutal difficulty however there is a large difference between brutal difficulty and frustratingly unfair. Ys games are hard but I can level up be A' Ok. That did not seem to be the case with Demon's.... in fact I screwed up my character and file in Souls to a point that demanded I restart entirely <----- not cool in Klyde's book.

NOTE: I am well aware that Ys and Souls games should never really be brought up in the same breath but I was struggling for an example. Forgive me.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2014, 10:53:05 PM »
@Klyde Chroma: Leveling up in Souls is not about making a strong character, is about how you use your resources.

Not being able to pause a real-time action RPG in my opinion is a pretty fucking serious flaw, especially if the action doesn't stop while you're browsing the game menus or want to take a break due to some interruption in real life. I can understand how the game can't be pausable in online play, but for offline play, there's simply no excuse.

That and I couldn't beat the game without utilizing the item duplication cheat on experience-granting items.

So is more of a thing that personal issues get in the way for you to enjoy the experience.

Eh, that's understandable I guess.

Masakado

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2014, 05:27:11 AM »

NOTE: I am well aware that Ys and Souls games should never really be brought up in the same breath but I was struggling for an example. Forgive me.

Did you just compare two of my favourite games series which have almost nothing in common? That's fine by me.