Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 10:29:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332836 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The one that got away...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: The one that got away...  (Read 1258 times)
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2014, 03:41:50 AM »

So, I was listening to the PlayStation Blog cast yesterday (I think it may have actually been last week's episode) but near the end of the podcast, the hosts were talking about games that always meant to finish over the years but for one reason or another can never just beat because life and other things get in the way.

It got me thinking and I knew what my game was right away.

For me, it was Tactics Ogre for PSX. I spent hours and hours and hours, grinding up my units (throw stone, in combat training) and had gotten near the end of the game where you need to make a pivotal decision in how you will proceed. i think it was shortly after that the optional dungeon (Abyss? Deep Abyss?) opens up with some pretty awesome gear. I made my way down and had gotten several pieces. Saved my game, and always meant to go back to it.

Somewhere within a week or so, I lost my memory card. No idea where it went, it just disappeared. Obviously disheartened, I thought about gamesharking the damn game, but said no, I was going to do this the old fashioned way. By this point I'd more or less figured out each map and started a new game. In a single sitting I got pretty far, saved my game and went to bed.

For whatever reason, Tactics Ogre would only save to official Sony Memory cards. I had a couple of third party cards that I had to use since I'd lost my original memory card with my save on it.

So, when I go back to play it, of course it tells me the save file is corrupted.

Weeks, months go by, and I end up finding my lost memory card in my closet of all places. Boot it back up, but I'm obviously rusty and not the tactical machine I used to be when I was right in the thick of the game. Sort of lose interest, but I knew in the back of my head that I could go back and beat it.

Guess what? The memory card goes missing again. Not wanting to shell out the $30.00 or so for the official Sony card just for the one game, I said no. The game lied fallow for years, and I never did get back to it. I have often been tempted by the PSP version, but I just don't know if I have the heart to do it again. The original run I made was full of heart and effort, but alas I think it is just not meant to be.

Honorable mention goes to Vagrant Story (just bought this again during the Golden Week Sale), Chrono Cross, and Final Fantasy VIII. Also, Herc's Adventures.

Now that I think about it, these are all PSX games...
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 03:54:10 AM »

Despite my avatar, and my love for the title, I still haven't beaten Baten Kaitos Origins even though I think the game is fucking awesome.  I get so distracted by a particular sidequest (it's a crazy collect-a-thon with an awesome reward), but then school happens, or other work, then I forget my sidequest progress (I'm thinking it might not be worth it, I should just beat the damn thing).

Chrono Trigger. Shocking, I know.  But I've seen my brother beat it about a million times way back when, and same thing as before, I get lost in sidequests and pussy out before the final boss. Final Fantasy IX too, I hate to admit.  I'm at the final boss, I don't doubt I'd kill it (I beat the secret bosses), I just haven't killed Necron. :X

Dammit life!

But also, something about booting a game a year (or more) later JUST to finish a game doesn't feel satisfactory when I like a fuller experience from certain titles (especially something LIKE RPGs or adventure titles).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 04:08:41 AM »

The first Lufia. It was never released in Europe, so about ten years ago I gave up on trying to obtain a cartridge and just played the ROM on my lovely little old laptop that was running Windows 2000 at the time. One of my dad's friends had given us some old (legit!) software including Office 97. I asked my dad if he could to install it for me while I was at school. When I came back I found out he had installed Windows 1998. Everything on my laptop was gone! Sure, I had a back-up, but that was just a small USB-stick (32MB?) filled with some stuff for school and a few photo's.

Earthbound was one of the game I was also playing at that time. Hoped for a Wii release for years, then finally got it on the Wii U the week it came out. In the end it took me 10 years to finish that game, but I finished it. Lufia? Not so much. So far I never really felt like going back to it, but I do want to play and finish it some day.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 05:14:12 AM »

Mine was Persona 3... although I guess it didn't get away, since I finally finished it yesterday. Yay!

Now I guess mine would be Suikoden II. I should get on that.

Also Xenoblade, although I want to get on that, too.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 06:40:43 AM »

Despite my avatar, and my love for the title, I still haven't beaten Baten Kaitos Origins even though I think the game is fucking awesome.  I get so distracted by a particular sidequest (it's a crazy collect-a-thon with an awesome reward), but then school happens, or other work, then I forget my sidequest progress (I'm thinking it might not be worth it, I should just beat the damn thing).
You know I think this might be the only game that I can recall starting and not finishing eventually over several years. Although my reason for not finishing it is that I suck at the game (shared deck balancing throws me off) so I started skipping fights, and thus I am now too weak to beat the final boss (or at least I think I left on the Final Boss).
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 09:11:50 AM »

Breath of Fire 4
I reached a jungle area during a vacation to Spain and then when I returned home I wanted to finish it but I got hooked on World of Warcraft(I already was mind you, I would only play that game except on those yearly 2 week vacations where I would always play a ps1 JRPG).

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 10:00:53 AM »

I can't say any game has "gotten away" since I'm still determined to beat them all at some point, but I think the two that weigh most heavily for me right now are Xenoblade Chronicles and Radiant Historia. Both are excellent titles, but their pace and overall length make them fairly easy to set aside for other games

I've also been meaning to do all the extra bits in Super Paper Mario since it's my second favorite game, but I'd rather clear out some of my backlog (including the two games mentioned above) before I go for it.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 10:35:01 AM »

Metroid effing Prime. Technically it's about 90% of my backlog, but Metroid Prime's the big one. I got about 2/3 of the way through before I decided to put my save on a different memory card, only to accidently delete my file instead. Unfortunately, the game left such a huge impression on me (it's my all time favorite game) that I've been able to remember everything about the game, making my attempts to replay it over the years less enjoyable.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 10:41:04 AM »

Tactics ogre, hands down. I played it on psx way back when, but I rented it from Blockbuster video back when they had the old 5 day rental period, so I grinded pretty hard but only got to chapter 4. I always swore I would re-rent it but they got rid of it shortly after. Skip to the psp version, and I bought it, but I would consistently get sidetracked and stop playing for a while. Ended up selling my psp and that included tactics ogre. Now I got my vita and said what the hell, and bought it again off psn.

Here's hoping I get to strike this game off the list finally. I am annoyed already at it cuz I spent lik 3 hours grinding in chapter 1, and accidentally started the fight with Cisteena....and she got owned in the second round. Fucking HATE when that happens.

TASTY!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 10:44:23 AM »

Tales of Symphonia: Sorry Mythos, you're just too goddamn bland for me to bother going back to and finishing. Petered out on the bonus dungeon and never looked back.

Grandia 2: Fuckin' points of no return. At least I saved myself from wasting Mareg's Refunded Skill Coins on Elena (wait a minute, what do you mean I have to spend the rest of the game with Millennia?).

Dragon Quest VII: Third Party Memory Card HORSESHIT!!! Sibling reformatted the bloody thing to save his anime game data on (and I was in the midst of butting heads with the motherfucking final boss no less). 200+ hours down the fucking drain. Motherfuckers.

Baten Kaitos 1: My OCD refuses to allow me to move on from that railshooter segment, even though I've already fucked up something else in the game already. One of these days, I'll get a perfect score.

FFX: Working on this one, but for the record, my previous file was saved right before the big fight with Sin at the start of the endgame.

Valkyrie Profile 2: Even revisiting this, its still boring as fuck. Although that could just be the fact that I've been reduced to two plot characters and one Einherjar.

Valkyrie Profile Covenant of the Plume: Don't know why I haven't finished this one. I'm on the bloody final boss fight of A Route.

Yggdra Union: My file's a clusterfuck. Full stop.

Lufia 3 The Legend Returns: Somewhere on continent 3 before my patience with the garbage Dungeon Crawler Random Dungeon Generator mechanic ran out. Not that the battle system was really all that good to begin with.

Ogre Battle 64: The hangup/odd part is that I almost believe I can manage my Chaos Frame enough to actually recruit the MC's Dad along with the March of the Black Queen team. Even odder is that I somehow more or less stumbled upon this situation.

SMTIV: The SMT series is overrated. Full stop.

SaGa 2: I revisited it once to get through the bonus dungeon. Now I have to spend all my kick ass weapons on completing the rest of the game? That's not how JRPGs work, amiright?

SaGa Frontier 2: Ask me about over grinding in a SaGa game. I might be able to salvage the situation, but its been so long (and I've more or less finished Gustav's and Gen 1 Wil Knight's plot arcs) that I might as well start again refreshed.

Fire Emblem 10: I'm working on it. Its just that my Wii is currently situated in a location that's really inconvenient to play on. Currently up to Chapter 4-P (which is where the game's plot stops and the endgame slog begins).

Disgaea 1: Made it to whatever chapter was between recruiting Gordon and crew and the final chapter. I no longer have access to the game though.

FFX-2: I think I was up to chapter 3 before I got bored of this game. No longer have access to it either to rectify this.

Dragon Quest III: Currently up to Baramos's Castle. Haven't found the time to finish though.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: I don't even remember where I was in this. Only that I stopped playing it due to not actually having anyone to play with anymore.

Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light: Made it to slightly after the mid point of the game (after grinding 99 Onyxes and Diamonds).

Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced 2: I'm like 4/5ths of the way through the game but I wound up getting stuck on some of the game's bullshit postgame content instead.

Glory of Hercules: 3/4ths of the way through the game, but now I have to play inventory management and it sucks.

X-Men Legends: Got kinda samey after a while. Not really into Diablo clones either.

Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen: Same situation as with FE10. VC'd on my Wii which is currently located in a really inconvenient place to play on.

Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together (PSX): Made it to Chapter 2 but my PSXes are pieces of shit and can barely play games anymore. The load times and freezes at the drop of a hat have become a serial killer to my interests.

Either Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire: It was one of those I had a file on, and one of those I never bothered to complete.

RPG Maker: Does the pre-built quest count? Does the fact that I didn't want to waste a valuable slot on my memory cards to actually finish it excuse my burning lack of desire to ever bother going back to that?

Heroes of Mana: Cummon! Its fuckin' Heroes of Mana! Its simply amazing that I made it as far as I did (around Chapter 16 or so). I mean, who's bright idea was it to tie character progression to their equipment then turn 90% of said equipment into permamissable loot hidden on the field?

Shining Force 1: Started again to collect the swimsuits, but again, VC title on my hard to access Wii.

Granstream Saga: Made it to the second continent. That has to count for something right?

Star Ocean 2: Got too busy breaking the game to actually play the game. Realized what I've managed to waste my time on and abandoned the game. May revisit to actually finish some day, but my shitty PSXes are kinda demotivating. And its not like I'm playing for plot or anything.

Star Ocean 3: Got to minigame city then lost interest. Not too thrilled with having to cut access to said city for a length of time. If I ever revisit, I'm probably going to ignore the city and move on with the rest of my life.

Suikoden 3: Don't know why I haven't finished this outside of not being able to beat the final strategy battle without suffering any causalities. Probably will finish when the LP catches up (or if I ever decide to make a maxed out file of Suki 2 to transfer over).

Ultima 3: Yeah, this game is kinda clunky. It doesn't help that you basically have to sit there and exploit the system to actually play the bloody game, and the fights are slow and kinda boring.

Valkyrie Profile: Hung up on the fact that I want to be able to make at least some progress in the bonus dungeon before leaving the Prologue/Chapter 1.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 10:48:12 AM »

For me it would be the final area of FFXIII. Fights/encounters were taking me super long to finish. I saw the game over screen a few times, lost patience and gave up over time. I always meant to return to it and finish it, but never got around to it. Funny thing is, I'm getting strange deja vu with FFXIII-2 right now. The encounters aren't difficult conversely, yet I just feel like I'm lost in a maze in the final area. Hopefully, I can figure it out and beat it this week.

Playing: SMTIV (3DS).
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 12:01:58 PM »

I'm ashamed to admit this when so many people in this forum love the game, but I simply cannot commit myself to finishing FFVI. I've tried multiple times. Farthest I ever got was the floating continent. I've restarted like 5 times and always end up quitting about 5 hours in.

Let's see others I have not finished for whatever reason...

God of War III - I loved the first two and bought this the day it came out. Unfortunately, it was during my gaming purge where I was not playing games at all so I played for like 2 hours and have not gone back. Every time I see it on my shelf it haunts me. I really need to finish the story... but new games!

Tales of Vesperia - Also really liked this game. I got about 40 hours in and life got busy and I never went back... and then my brother loaned it to one of his friends and I never got it back.

FFXII Revenant Wings - I was digging this game and got about 20 hours in and college got busy and I quit. Sold it off during my gaming purge and regret it now. Oh well.

The World Ends With You - I didn't love this game like others, but I was enjoying it. Got through the first part of the game and then it makes you do stuff over again or something and I just quit. Sold this one off during my gaming purge too.

Dragon Quest IX - Got maybe 15 hours in and hit my busy college years. This was also a victim of my gaming purge.

As you can tell, most of them were my DS games. I only kept 4 of my DS games. I wish I had all these games back.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:04:36 PM by Blace » Logged

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 01:44:21 PM »

Breath of Fire 4
I reached a jungle area during a vacation to Spain and then when I returned home I wanted to finish it but I got hooked on World of Warcraft(I already was mind you, I would only play that game except on those yearly 2 week vacations where I would always play a ps1 JRPG).

I always like how the game segmented itself.  First you're in Fantasy-India, then Fantasy-Africa, then Fantasy-Europe, then finally Fantasy-Asia.  Great story in that game.  I recommend [finishing]!

You know I think this might be the only game that I can recall starting and not finishing eventually over several years. Although my reason for not finishing it is that I suck at the game (shared deck balancing throws me off) so I started skipping fights, and thus I am now too weak to beat the final boss (or at least I think I left on the Final Boss).

The trick is a smaller deck that never exceeds (iirc) 40 cards so the good stuff cycles more often (it's almost funny when the games extends your card capacity because it's not recommended or wise to pack more), minimize or avoid character-specific armour (only use that "small gear" that the whole party can use), and insert those chain cards so Milly can stick up specially attack levels.  If you can't combo, even high levelled characters are going to do shitty damage, and the game makes stacking combos a necessity. 

It is a really hard game though.  I love that about it, but it's *tough*.  Some bosses honestly take a bit of luck or deck tweaking, one of them is just an asshole recovering his high-HP subordinates

...I wrote like you're gonna play it again, I'm sorry I got excited.

@Aeolus: You've got some weird reasons for quitting titles.  I think I get it...but I also don't.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:46:45 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 03:16:12 PM »

Red Dead Redemption

Code:
Someone spoiled the ending on me. Got to the end where you are doing errands for your family. Stopped after a few of them.

I have my happy ending :(

I probably will finish it eventually but I am pretty sure it will not be anytime soon.

ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 03:27:44 PM »

Breath of Fire 4

I was turned off the series after, what I consider to be, the worst ending in gaming history in BoF3. The final boss fight took me at least an hour of careful strategy during my summer vacation, and all I get is...that?

I swore off BoF after that, but apparently Bof4 is good? urrgh, maybe I'll have to get it. Maybe it's time for me to end my BoF boycott after...15-16 years.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: