Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 01:58:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331718 Posts in 13581 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The one that got away...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: The one that got away...  (Read 1209 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2014, 04:03:32 AM »

I really don't get all the love for Xenogears' characters, since it went with the Star Ocean tactic of so many characters that they start to detract from ones that're well developed.

They're mostly a mix of Giant Robot Anime homages. Fei is G Gundam's protagonist, Elly is a Gundamy female love interest, Bart's one of those gimmicky robot pilot protagonists who carries his gimmick over to his robot (not to mention that his Sand Sub, which itself is a carrier, turns into the core of the not-Macross), Citan's Lupin the 3rd's Goemon in a giant robot with a streak of manipulative asshat on the side, Rico's a wrestler in a wrestling giant robot (with a giant rocket strapped to its back), Billy's robot launches from an orphanage playground like some of the gimmickier Super Robots of old (can't think of the series name off hand, but there's one that turns an entire school into a Super Robot), Chu-chu is the mascot/comedy relief character, Maria is what's-his-face from Gigantor (riding on her robot's shoulder with a remote control and everything), Esmeralda is Nanomachines!, the four Elements eventually form Voltron, and Ramus is Jerid from Zeta Gundam (he tries so hard to be Fei's rival, but he's just too much of a butt monkey; at least he doesn't use all the women around him like extra lives).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2014, 08:46:26 AM »

Vagrant Story - I keep meaning to play it because I keep hearing the story is fantastic, but I just can't get into the combat.

Digital Devil Saga 2 - I've had my saved game erased - Twice!!!!!

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2014, 04:37:22 PM »

Vagrant Story - I keep meaning to play it because I keep hearing the story is fantastic, but I just can't get into the combat.

Forgot about this one. Totally agree! I haven't played for more than an hour because the combat always confused the shit out of me. The game looked really awesome too. Argh. I still have my PS1 copy.

Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2014, 05:04:05 PM »

Although it isn't finished yet, this is a hilarious retelling of Xenogears.  Affectionately called Xenodurr. 

http://whatdoesgodneedwithastarship.com/

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2014, 08:15:45 PM »

This is an awesome topic I have been wanting to make myself forever!

Games I don't make it through really stick in my mind... This doesn't generally occur if it is a game I willingly quit or give up on purposely. For me "the ones that got away" are those that in fact have "gotten away" as opposed to having been "thrown away/ discarded". These particular games really linger in my recollection all the way back to childhood.

THOSE THAT GOT AWAY!!

Earthbound bothered me since gradeschool... I finally exorcised that demon two years ago and it felt grrrrrreaaaaat!!!

Last year I did the same with Breath of Fire 3. BoF3 didn't prove as rewarding an accomplishment as Earthbound but brought me closure none the less.

Those that still haunt me to this day are mostly the result of corrupt third party memory cards from the PS1 era.

Xenogears/ I too am in the "didn't finish Xeno club". Loss of data during Disc 2.

Breath of Fire 4/ Loss of data very early on. Never got to restarting.

FF IX/ Loss of data in the final dungeon. Finally, the utter disgust of having made it to the very end only to lose all that effort to faulty tech prompted me to forever and on make back up saves however and whenever possible.

Vay/ This Sega CD gem is high on my priority list. The working designs title proved a difficult and grindy endeavor for a young Klyde whom eventually lost his Sega CD system and copy of vay to the enth dimension. NOTE: The enth dimension is the place that lost things go when you can't remember how, when, or where you lost them. Vay will most likely be the next one I knock off this list.

Devil Summoner/ I simply tried this along with way too many others at the time. I liked it a great deal but never got back to it.

Romancing Saga 3/ Too difficult to muddle my way through this one as a child. I WILL get to this one. Really freakin' irks me.

THOSE I THREW AWAY!!!

FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns/ Motion sickness inducing. Only games that ever did it to me.

Xenosaga Trilogy/ Episode 1 was good but just not quite good enough to get me to move  onto 2. I had planned to for awhile but there always seemed something more compelling on the shelf. Recently decided to cross this one off the agenda.

Ar Tonelico Quoga/ 1 was great. 2 was good. 3 was not worth shaking my controller over....

Tactics Ogre/ Got sick and almost died while playing. Looking at this game reminds me of that. Decided never to touch it again.

Valkyrie Chronicles/ Same scenario as Tactics Ogre ^^

Secret of Evermore/ Secret of Mana this title is not. I refuse to play as the older brother from the wonder years... I just can't do it.

Chrono Cross/ I purposely gave it up simply because it was not Chrono Trigger... I regret this. Of all my discarded titles, this is probably the only one I am going to take another crack at someday.

THOSE I HAVE YET TO GET TO!!!!

I don't know if these titles are appropriate for this thread but I'm listing them anyhow. These are titles I missed throughout the years that I am dying to get to and intend to throughout this year and the next.

Digital Devil Saga

Shadow Hearts

Okami

Treasure Hunter G

Rudras no Hidras (sp?)/ Treasure of Rudra

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2014, 11:16:58 PM »

Just remember, the iOS port of Vay is awful. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2014, 11:30:31 PM »

When I saw the title I thought it was about people we have kidnapped that got away. I was ready to tell that story. I guess I will talk about games.

Beyond the Beyond; This was a pretty good game if you could get past the encounters every two seconds and the tropes. Unfortunately because of the encounters I never finished it.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2014, 02:30:59 AM »

When I saw the title I thought it was about people we have kidnapped that got away. I was ready to tell that story. I guess I will talk about games.

Beyond the Beyond; This was a pretty good game if you could get past the encounters every two seconds and the tropes. Unfortunately because of the encounters I never finished it.

Also the hilariously bad game design of giving your PCs SRPG amounts of HP in a turn-based CRPG, or context sensitive action prompts (ala Super Mario RPG) without providing any meaningful context and including a failure rate that makes the outcome actively worse than doing nothing at all, of the load of hot garbage that is Samson for the first third of the game, or Mages in general, or the bland ass 'puzzles', or the encounters within said 'puzzles', or replicating the bloody Road to Rhone, or hiding one of the best characters in the game in goddamn sticks with a limited time window for recruitment, or.....

Well you get the point. Either way, I somehow managed to beat this, so there you go.

ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2014, 03:16:31 PM »

Oh God...Beyond the Beyond...

Forget that Samson is more or less worthless, but the two times I played the game from beginning to where I stopped was always in the same place.

There is some door in a dungeon where the Black Knight (?) traps you and you need a key. Not sure where to get that key, even after consulting multiple FAQS/Walkthroughs.

Said forget it, and never touched it again.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2014, 03:20:12 PM »

beyond the beyond the beyond the beyond the beyond the beyond

What a stupid title anyway XD
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:21:47 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2014, 05:08:03 PM »

Oh God...Beyond the Beyond...

Forget that Samson is more or less worthless, but the two times I played the game from beginning to where I stopped was always in the same place.

There is some door in a dungeon where the Black Knight (?) traps you and you need a key. Not sure where to get that key, even after consulting multiple FAQS/Walkthroughs.

Said forget it, and never touched it again.

I think the Black Knight gives you the key. But yeah, its still not worth going beyond Beyond the Beyond for.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2014, 04:32:08 PM »

List of games I actually finished:

Xenogears
Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore
The Sea Will Claim Everyting
DemiKids White
Persona
Digital Devil Saga 1
Chrono Cross
Legend of Mana
Jazz Jackrabbit 2
ChexQuest
Possibly the original Doom. I think I gave up on the fourth episode but that wasn't part of the original game anyway?
Emelia's quest from SaGa Frontier
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (with heavy savestating).
Symphony of the Night
Kirby NES

Games I got close to finishing:
FFVIII - Got up to the last boss but couldn't beat it and then years later I realized I don't like FFVIII anyway oh welp.
SMT: Nocturne - Got up to like the last dungeon.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »

First time I played FF8, I failed at the draw/junction system, used "enc-none" for over half the game thinking "enemies level up with me and the GF's will power through" then the final boss made my GF's almost useless.  I then GameSharked that battle. 

The second and third times, I exploited the hell out of the draw/junction systems and every form of the final boss went down in, like, 3 hits. 

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2014, 11:05:31 PM »

Although it isn't finished yet, this is a hilarious retelling of Xenogears.  Affectionately called Xenodurr. 

http://whatdoesgodneedwithastarship.com/

When I switched OS a week or two back, I was deleting most of my booksmarks and came across this wonderful site again. Highly recommend this site. ;)
-----

Those that got away?

Final Fantasy VIII: On the last disc...just...can't...bring myself...to...beat it. Oh well...
Suikoden V: played it for a good 5 hours....enjoyed it some, but just said meh and sold it off to someone on the forum. Wouldn't mind revisting it, but not until I'm done with Suikoden Tactics.

That's it for now. I'm sure there's a bunch of games, but I can't think of it at the moment.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: