Author Topic: Blade & Soul

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
Blade & Soul
« on: January 12, 2016, 06:15:30 PM »
So anyone else pumped for Blade & Soul next Tuesday?  Super pumped myself been waiting for this one for awhile.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action
    • View Profile
Re: Blade & Soul
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 06:29:40 PM »
Heard good things but I've forgotten who's publishing it over here? Really affects whether or not I check it out.
My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 07:40:48 PM »
NCSOFT which is pretty good. There is no power buying in the cashshop, all of it so far is cosmetic, and even if there might be in the future, PVP in B&S takes a page from GW2 and normalizes everyone.  So you really couldn't even if you wanted to.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 07:42:46 PM by ScottC »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 10:45:22 PM »
Thanks for the info! I might give it a shot, but at the moment I'm still really enjoying Echo of Soul and don't really have time for two MMO's.
My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 12:56:15 AM »
i have a founders pack(the cheapest one) and played and enjoyed the beta. it will make a great side game for times when i need a break from ff14.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Raze

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 12:13:26 AM »
I can appreciate a mmo with air juggles, armbars and picking a dude up with one hand and repeatedly slamming him into the flat of your axe(Casters look considerably less interesting, though maybe they'll surprise me).

I imagine it'll be like GW2, fun to play and learn the characters, but not really having lasting appeal. But free filler while ff14's in a rut is pretty much what I'm after anyway.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 01:21:19 PM »
Haven't tried the game yet but the character creation screen already has me worried for a few reasons:

1. Very limiting race/class combinations: I probably shouldn't be complaining about this as a fan of Echo of Soul, but if you're going to let multiple races choose from multiple classes, do it all the way. Especially don't make two classes exclusive to the race that's obviously going to be the most divisive among players.

2. Class difficulty ratings: This is why I tend to avoid "action" MMORPGs, I feel like the idea of making certain classes harder to play than others just diminishes the freedom and social nature of the genre. MMORPGs were never meant to be for "hardcore" gamers, and while I welcome more variety in the genre, there's just too much of this shift and not enough casual MMOs out there anymore.

3. Seems to use similar armor system as TERA: Personal preference more than my other complaints, but finding new loot to decorate your character with is one of my favorite parts of MMOs. I feel like the Tier System for armor appearance makes grinding far more boring.

Daggerstrike

• Rainbow Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 04:53:19 PM »
I find the handling clunky. I am sure I will get used to it but overall it feels unrefined
All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 10:19:35 PM »
I find the handling clunky. I am sure I will get used to it but overall it feels unrefined

Huh, that's actually one of the things I'm enjoying about the game. To me the character control feels a lot tighter and more responsive than TERA ever did. In the latter I always found myself swinging at air as I struggled to turn around and face an enemy my character just attacked through. The UI is also much cleaner (note I didn't specifically say it was clean)

Raze

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 05:28:00 PM »
Solo combat is just great. Group combat feels zergy and it feels like it loses a lot. Like everythings there, but there's less of it. Can't counter/dodge if I'm not the one being attacked. It's harder to do knockdowns and such and when you do do a knockdown I can't grapple if another kung fu master or destroyer beats me too it. So there's a lot more 'use my focus dump then my focus builder'.

But I can't stress enough. Solo combat is so damn fun.

Not being able to mouse move is weird. But I'd say there's some good things to be said about the controls, because the buttons do things differently on the situation. My right click is a charge, but if I dodged a attack it turns into a triple kick. On a cc'd enemy it turns into a knockup. It's a nice change from ffxiv, where once heavensward came out it got super super cluttered.

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 09:32:49 AM »
Ah, Bot&Soul. Good game ran by a crappy company. The game is overrun by bots. It is like Russian roulette trying to pug blue end game dungeons right now due to getting afk destroyer bots.  Arena has  bots at the moment to such an extent that you can get to plat rating without ever fighting a real player along the way just different variations of destroyer bots. Once you get past the wall of destroyer bots then you have speed/stealth hacking summoner bots to deal with.