Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 09:13:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334757 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Mugen Souls Z
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Mugen Souls Z  (Read 998 times)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: May 22, 2014, 12:16:38 PM »

Picked this up Tuesday. Haven't touched it yet since Witch and the Hundred Knight is eating all my time (and holy crap does it drag if you're trying to 100% maps...) Rather hopeful from the positive preview. Wondering if anyone else has gotten a chance to bite into it yet and if so, what cha think?
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 07:22:17 AM »

I kinda like the gameplay but I have been skipping all the talking. Aside from the tiring otaku crap the game has one huge flaw: it freezes when you encounter slumbering bosses in the Mugen Field.

That might not sound so bad, but:
1. They're quite common and will freeze your game 100% of the time.
2. Not using Mugen Field makes the main game harder since a lot of the materials needed for armour are dropped by Mugen Field enemies.
3. Completing 60 floors is one of the requirements for the true ending.

NISA's quality control has seen better days ~_~
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 12:28:25 PM »

I don't have this game but man does every game NISA puts out crash these days?  It's dumb
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 04:59:21 PM »

Basically from what I've read over at NISA's forums I've gathered a few things.

-They're aware of the bug and it sounds like a patch may be in the works.

-It's possible this particular glitch may be a side effect of somehow the 'Sleep' status being missing from the game. Which is why Slumbering Bosses cause the freeze because the game is trying to Infinite Load an effect that doesn't exist.

-None of the past game-breaking bugs (D2's fire spells, Witch's XMB boot, Mugen Z's field freeze) have appeared in play testing. It's theorized right now that NISA is possibly using Dev Client PS3s for their testing, which react different to code than every day end user Retail PS3s. As a result, the stuff that affects literally everyone else in the world NISA doesn't get because they're too cheap to go out and spend $200 on a spare model. XP
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 05:28:15 PM »

As a result, the stuff that affects literally everyone else in the world NISA doesn't get because they're too cheap to go out and spend $200 on a spare model. XP

Errrr you do know how much a dev PS3 costs, right?

and why is "sleep" missing now?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:34:09 PM by Annubis » Logged
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 06:56:23 PM »

I think you have what I said reversed. The problem is they aren't testing with Retail PS3s. Those are a dime a dozen comparatively. They HAVE the Dev PS3s and seem to be just sticking to those alone.

Apparently from what I've read the 'Sleep' status doesn't work in Mugen Souls Z. If you use it the status symbol appears but the actual effect does nothing.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 07:22:18 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 07:18:06 PM »

That might explain it.  They are clearly doing something very wrong during testing
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 03:22:39 AM »

Yep, the slumbering boss bug is extremely easy to replicate on any ordinary PS3 (even more so that the fire thing in Disgaea D2), so no matter how you look at it, it's those NISA guys' fault the game is not working properly.

Didn't Ghostlight have a similar problem with Devil Survivor Overclocked? Game worked fine on their dev models, but had a nasty game freezing bug on regular 3DSes.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 09:56:49 PM »

Picked this up Tuesday. Haven't touched it yet since Witch and the Hundred Knight is eating all my time (and holy crap does it drag if you're trying to 100% maps...)

How is the game itself though?

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 09:06:08 PM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 11:57:36 PM »

Mugen Z? Still haven't touched it. NISA says the Japanese developer is aware of the freezing bug and is working on a solution that should be out within a month. So I'm not opening the game until that patch is out. Posts I've seen in general seem to imply it's pretty good. Sans the loopholes you have to leap through to level grind without steady access to the Mugen Field.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 03:53:46 AM »

I enjoyed most of the gameplay. Story and characters are stupid, of course (more than once, I literally couldn't keep my eyes open because all the hyperactivity tired me out so much!), but I liked running around the fields and completing the small objectives in order to conquer te planets.

I did nearly put it down when the difficulty started to skyrocket around chapter 10-11. The games assumes you've been using the Mugen Field, so even if you've been completing as many maps af possible, you'll probably still be underleveled.  I worked around it by buying loads of chocolate (a cheap item that lets you revive multiple characters at once) and enhancing two weapons to deal a huge load of damage.

The gloves I gave Reu (one of my fastest and strongest melee characters), boosted the stats that determined her ability to attack, dodge, and defend against melee attacks. I had some BP from the ten floors of Mugen Field I did manage to complete, so I used it to raise the max level of that weapon to 300. Then I poured in like a million gold (you get loads of money when completing fields) to give it stats like 50.000 agility and defense (by comparison: most characters had stats in de 1500-2500 range and unenchanced weapons added another 800 at best). After that the girl two-shotted nearly every story boss while the others kept themselves alive by eating junkfood.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 08:17:17 PM »

My review is up.  Bottom line is that it's good, but still has some old chinks in the armor.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 09:06:41 PM »

Mugen Z? Still haven't touched it.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant how is the Witch and the Hundred Knights.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 11:37:17 PM »

Mugen Z? Still haven't touched it.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant how is the Witch and the Hundred Knights.

Ahh, gotcha. It's...weird.

The plot (so far) is good but inconsistent, especially in the character development areas. Metallia starts off setting the stage as though she's supposed to be Gig 2.0...but then it's like the writers either chicken out or were forced into devolving her into a slice of life character playing Tsundere with her nose ground into the lines. And then, suddenly the entire story reaches a climax arc...and turns into a fetch quest with no relevance to anything, so out of nowhere, that I saw the axle snap out from under it's plot train with enough force to chuck it into the moon. I haven't gotten all the way through it yet because of the other half.

The combat is a bit fun...but map exploration is really tedious and eventually you devolve into Broken Combo X-Y-Z rather than approaching it tactically. In particular right now my favorite things to do is Sword -> Scythe -> Sword -> Scythe -> Sword. The sheer number of hits you get pretty much turns anything into 'Press X to win' regardless of the resistance system. Shame because some of the boss fights are pretty darn fun when neither you or the AI is trying to cheap each other to death. The 'Reset to XMB' bug really kills your desire to play this for long stretches because you can and will just suddenly have 20 minutes of grinding undone by this little beggar. The loading time to and from base isn't a big deal, but if you have to do this EVERY 5 minutes it adds up in a hurry. Making weapon and XP farming a lot more grueling that it would be otherwise. Unlike the Mugen Z bug, this one ain't getting fixed last I heard.

Basically worth it if you like grind-n-explores like Zettai Hero Project or NISA stuff in general. Otherwise...eh? I've seen worse but you're not missing a hidden gem here or anything.

As a side note; for some reason the game also annoying rolls 'End Credits' after EVERY, SINGLE, CHAPTER. You can skip them...but it's a boggling decision.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 11:42:32 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 02:51:36 AM »

Basically worth it if you like grind-n-explores like Zettai Hero Project or NISA stuff in general. Otherwise...eh? I've seen worse but you're not missing a hidden gem here or anything.

But play The Guided Fate Paradox first if that's the case. TWATHK (... twat-hk?) wants to be a roguelike but just doesn't pull it off while TGFP is a nice example of a modern take on the genre, just like ZHP.

As a side note; for some reason the game also annoying rolls 'End Credits' after EVERY, SINGLE, CHAPTER. You can skip them...but it's a boggling decision.

I think they wanted to recreate the episodic structure of the Disgaea-games, which could have worked if they'd had bothered to include other elements of an anime episode as well, like an opening or preview.

Or maybe they were just trying to mess with people. Wouldn't be surprised considering the mess that's the post-game/path to the true/bad ending.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: